• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull: Covenant Edition

TMBTM said:
Review I left at IFDB:
I would have kept the Russians killing the US soldiers at the beginning though

One thing that I don't like in the original is still there: Indy's car is way ahead Spalko after Mutt met the monkeys, while before that Indy was way behind.

I recommand this edit if you want a better paced Indy 4, that feels more like an adventure ride rather than people explaning what this is all about (and confusing the audience even more by the way!)

Thanks for the review. I'm very pleased everybody (So far) has enjoyed this edit :). Your last sentence "feels more like an adventure ride rather than people explaning what (the plot) is all about" is exactly what I was aiming for!

I know removing the checkpoint massacre completely was a little jarring but I just couldn't have that ridiculous shot of the soldiers jumping out from behind the Russian dude in my edit and still sleep soundly. I tried cutting round it several different ways with no success, but maybe you might find a way to do it?

I hadn't noticed that Spalko/Indy Jeep problem as they approach the canyon fortunately... otherwise it would have driven me mad. I nearly lost my mind editing that sequence anyway :-D. Keeping track of all the characters, vehicles and positions (Not to mention the location of the Skull) was a nightmare. I suspect this can't be fixed but I'd be glad to be proved wrong ;-).

Looking forward to what you can do with the film!

I very much enjoyed your edit. Raiders of the Lost Skull is still my go-to, but this is very close. The edits were seamless from my limited experience, the pacing much improved. I cringed when I saw you left in that horrific "Wubbleyous" line, but that's just my personal taste. Great job!

mofonistik said:
I very much enjoyed your edit. Raiders of the Lost Skull is still my go-to, but this is very close. The edits were seamless from my limited experience, the pacing much improved. I cringed when I saw you left in that horrific "Wubbleyous" line, but that's just my personal taste. Great job!

Yes 'Raiders of the Lost Skull' is some great work but I had the oposit reaction... I cringed when the "Wubbleyous"/"Sueseeahleest labour" dialogue was cut :lol: Best lines in the film!

Thank you for cleaning this movie up! While there is probably no possible way to salvage the "wtf aliens" plot (which I personally found irritating), you took it from "what am I even watching?!" to "oh, it's an Indiana Jones movie with a weird plot!" I have a terrible memory for movies, and the amount of exposition you left in was JUST RIGHT, I wasn't sure what was going to happen next, but everything made sense when it happened. Reading what you cut out, I am not surprised I blanked most of the original out of my memory- it sounds very repetitive. The action was still nervous-inducing and over-the-top, but a reasonable and exciting level of each- about what one expects from Indy.

Overall, very well done, A+ from this viewer with a poor memory, short attention span, and distaste for aliens. I might even re-watch your recut someday, because I actually enjoyed it. WIN.

PrincessHangry said:

Great!

Add your thoughts to an ifdb review if you get a chance

Hi, I want to congratulate you. You made a very good job editing this movie. I really enjoyed it and it's no more a pain to look at Indy 4 now.
Because I love so much your edit, I wanted to add a french soundtrack to it. I have already made the french soundtrack for Q2's Fall of the Jedi trilogy. So I worked a few days on it and now it is ready : the french soundtrack for Kingdom of the crystal skull in 5.1, taken from the french BD release. I made it for my own pleasure but if you, TM2YC, or another want it, I can share it. Just contact me with a private message.

And again, thanks a lot for this edit, my wife and I had a very pleasant moment watching it.

marvins said:
Hi, I want to congratulate you. You made a very good job editing this movie. I really enjoyed it and it's no more a pain to look at Indy 4 now.
Because I love so much your edit, I wanted to add a french soundtrack to it. I have already made the french soundtrack for Q2's Fall of the Jedi trilogy. So I worked a few days on it and now it is ready : the french soundtrack for Kingdom of the crystal skull in 5.1, taken from the french BD release. I made it for my own pleasure but if you, TM2YC, or another want it, I can share it. Just contact me with a private message.

And again, thanks a lot for this edit, my wife and I had a very pleasant moment watching it.

Great to hear you enjoyed it! :) (Please add a review if you get time).

I'm very interested in getting your French soundtrack. I've deleted all the project files so I can't add it to the release but I'd like to have it uploaded and available upon request. I'm flattered that you thought my edit was worth the effort.

Merci beaucoup! :)

marvins said:
Because I love so much your edit, I wanted to add a French soundtrack to it. I worked a few days on it and now it is ready: the French soundtrack for Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull in 5.1, taken from the French BD release. I made it for my own pleasure but if you, TM2YC, or another want it, I can share it. Just contact me with a private message.

Talk about going above and beyond!
Now, just for personal curiosity, is this voiceover dubbing, with French speakers?
Or is the music soundtrack also tweaked with, dare I ask, accordions?

TM2YC said:
I've deleted all the project files so I can't add it to the release

It can still be done, but it isn't as simple. You need a tool like VOBblanker.

Vultural said:
is the music soundtrack also tweaked with, dare I ask, accordions?

:-D

ThrowgnCpr said:
It can still be done, but it isn't as simple. You need a tool like VOBblanker.

Will check that out, thanks.

marvins said:
my wife and I had a very pleasant moment

twitchyeyebrows_zps446ffac6.gif

Vultural said:
Now, just for personal curiosity, is this voiceover dubbing, with French speakers?
Or is the music soundtrack also tweaked with, dare I ask, accordions?

Of course, there is accordions ! And Indiana Jones is on the search of the kingdom of the crystal baguette !

Watched this edit last night, here are my thoughts:

Audio Visual Editing-Quality: Top-notch, didn't saw any bad transitions or jarring cuts, it felt pretty natural and flowing well. 10/10

Audio/Video-Quality: I watched the mp4-version and it looked and sounded pretty impressive throughout. 10/10

Narrative: The changes to the story that got my attention were:
1. No atom-bomb-test and Indy surviving it.
2. Scenes that show Indy as being old and tired were removed.
3. The scene showing Indy's son balancing on two driving cars got removed.
4. At the end the spacecraft got removed and now it is merely a dimensional portal.
5. No wedding-scene anymore.

These changes are imho good changes and help the movie.
But like always I wished the cuts were even more. For example I wished that the scene showing Indy's son getting into the jungle-ropes and gliding through the jungle like Tarzan got removed completely, I hate that scene.

Then shortly thereafter there is a scene where Indy, the son and that scientist sit in the car, with Mary driving the car and deliberately going over the cliff, saying "Trust me". Oh, god, do I wish that scene got removed.

And there was one scene removed I wished wasn't removed:

When Indy and Mary were stuck in that wet-sand and Indy's son got hold of a snake to pull out Indy with. In the original Indy got scared of the snake because he hates snakes and doesn't want to take into his hand.

It was one of the few comedy-moments I actually enjoyed.

I have to say that I didn't like the narrative of the original, the original would have gotten from me 4/10.

This edit improves some things but of course can't completely savor a disaster of a movie. 7/10.

Enjoyment: I hate the original movie, it lacks the grand adventure-like scenarios of the original trilogy, it lacks wit, pace, excitement. It's a pretty boring and irritating experience. This edit can't transform that into an exciting big blockbuster, that would have been a miracle. But this edit reduces the most disturbing things and so for someone who at least can tolerate Indy 4 or like it a little bit, this edit offers a superior version. Good work, TM2YC! 7/10

NewSpock said:
I hate the original movie, it lacks the grand adventure-like scenarios of the original trilogy, it lacks wit, pace, excitement. It's a pretty boring and irritating experience. This edit can't transform that into an exciting big blockbuster, that would have been a miracle. But this edit reduces the most disturbing things and so for someone who at least can tolerate Indy 4 or like it a little bit, this edit offers a superior version. Good work, TM2YC! 7/10

Thanks for the feedback and glad you liked it! :)

I didn't want to remove Mutt's Swordfight as I believe in my trimmed version it's now pretty fun/badass (Mutt would be a complete nothing without it IMO and I quite liked Mutt anyway unlike 99% of everyone else ;-)). This meant he was in the wrong jeep at the end so regretably I had to include a slimmed down Tarzan bit to get him back into the Jeep. Plus him swinging back in to grab the Skull was fun too.

Yes the driving over the cliff is awful and I heavily cut it but couldn't see a way to remove it entirely.

If the sandpit snake hadn't looked like a lump of rubber it might have stayed. I thought it was less convincing than the snake at the end of this classic comedy clip...

But even then it's so so silly, unlikely and naff.

Getting a 7/10 from a viewing of Crystal Skull is like 10/10 for most edits! :-D So I think I hit the mark (A mark I set several rungs bellow Indy 1-3).

TM2YC said:
Getting a 7/10 from a viewing of Crystal Skull is like 10/10 for most edits! :-D So I think I hit the mark (A mark I set several rungs bellow Indy 1-3).

Yes, if the movie weren't imho so bad to begin with, the scores would have been considerably higher.:)

Thanks for taking the time to review the 'Covenant Edition' harm1307.

harm1307 said:
All I can say is wow! Outstanding edit here. After watching this movie in theatre, I never would have thought I could rate this as being close to as good as Raiders. The pacing, the action now, the humor, THIS is now a Indiana Jones movie. Never in a million years would I think I could have a blast with this movie. Thankyou from the bottom of my heart for improving this turd and actually making it a very fun movie. Far too many cuts to mention, I loved them all. People watch it!

Enjoyment: Original: D+
Enjoyment: Covenant Edition: A-

I'm pleased it captured some of the proper Indy spirit for you :), although your suggestion that my edit is "close to as good as Raiders" brings your judgement into question ;-). I'm good... but not that good! :lol:. Thanks again for taking the time to write up your thoughts.

I would recommend checking out the excellent new intro on 'Riddles of the Lost Gods' but I see you did already.

Ok, I used my wording incorrectly in saying "close" to raiders, dont get me wrong please, Raiders is easily in my top 5-10 movies of all time and unfortuanately that spirit has not been recaptured fully in any Indy sequel. I suppose I was just absolutely shocked at how this edit took the film from being an embarrassment to the Indy legacy to actually being far better than temple of doom, and maybe, not sure yet, but maybe as good or even better than Last Crusade. In those terms I meant it coming "closer" to Raiders. Good work.

harm1307 said:
Ok, I used my wording incorrectly in saying "close" to raiders, dont get me wrong please, Raiders is easily in my top 5-10 movies of all time and unfortuanately that spirit has not been recaptured fully in any Indy sequel. I suppose I was just absolutely shocked at how this edit took the film from being an embarrassment to the Indy legacy to actually being far better than temple of doom, and maybe, not sure yet, but maybe as good or even better than Last Crusade. In those terms I meant it coming "closer" to Raiders. Good work.

Awesome praise that you'd even speak about my version of Indy4 in the same breath as the first three. Thanks buddy. btw Don't everybody hit me but I'd probably rate 'Temple of Doom' as the best of the four films.

Oh and can I also reccomend njvc's Raiders of the Lost Skull edit. It was what inspired me to cut my own Indy4. I copied his ending (With permission) and his complete rescoring using the Raider's soundtrack is amazingly well done.

Thanks for writing a review Ollie W.

Ollie W said:
Whilst I was too young to see the originals in theatres, I grew up with them on home video and they were my go to films, second behind the Superman series when I was looking for fun and adventure. I actually enjoyed Indiana Jones 4 when I first saw in the theatre. However on repeated viewings of the Crystal Skull I realised it was the experience of seeing Indy on the big screen that I enjoyed rather than the movie itself.

Could Indiana Jones 4 be saved? TM2YC's fan edit of the Crystal Skull seemed like a good place to start.

With 30 minutes cut this isn't a conservative edit. TM2YC felt the middle of the film had too much exposition, as a result extensive cuts are made. However I always found the drawn out action towards the end to be the real downer.

Despite a cool transition from the warehouse scene to Indy on the train I felt too much set-up was missing and that we arrived at the third act too quickly.

That said there's plenty to like in this edit. Most of what fans would call offensive has been removed, though I would have liked to see no monkeys and Jeep sword fighting and the post credits wedding scene felt a little tacked on.

Picture quality is great with improved colour design and less overblown saturation and the editing was pretty much faultless. Overall a very solid fan edit.

It seems you wanted different things out of a KOTCS edit, than what is in my version, no worries. I would suggest checking out some of the other fine edits of KOTCS but I know you already did that :). That's what is sometimes great about fanedits, a version for everyone's tastes :).

I felt that without Mutt's "Errol Flynn Swashbuckling" moment he's really a very dull character that never gets a moment to shine. Interesting that you thought the edit was too fast paced in the first act, and too slow in the last act. Exactly the opposit to my feelings about KOTCS' problems :-D. The "wedding scene" is supposed to feel tacked on. That's why I had it post credits, so you can watch it... or not. It's not part of the story I wanted to tell but if there are never anymore Harrison Ford Indy films, it felt like it was nice to go out on that note.

Back
Top Bottom