• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Kang: Quantumania - finished

It's a lot of work for certain. We are in the final stages of completing an edit which we almost completely rescored. There was quite a bit of ducking and reordering some things but putting the new songs to it has been a blast! Each time we finish one, it feels like a major success.

This film sounds like a prime candidate for a drastic soundtrack overhaul.
Honestly, considering how both films are pretty dang similar in terms of plot and "camp" that's more annoying than fun, I have thought of rescoring the film with Queen's Flash Gordon soundtrack/score.

Honestly, considering how both films are pretty dang similar in terms of plot and "camp" that's more annoying than fun, I have thought of rescoring the film with Queen's Flash Gordon soundtrack/score.
Rescoring with Queen's Flash Gordon soundtrack could work. That's not a bad idea.

Rescoring with Queen's Flash Gordon soundtrack could work. That's not a bad idea.
Heck, you can even use the Counsel Of Kangs scene as a "The End.....?" capper!

Think most you need to do is remove the "FLASH" from the main theme song and you easily edit the film into something like "Ant-Man: Savior Of The Universe".

I am loving this idea. In the center channel of the song there would be an odd silence where "Flash...ohhhh..." was. There would be a lot of sfx just in that song to try to synchronize with the video.

I am loving this idea. In the center channel of the song there would be an odd silence where "Flash...ohhhh..." was. There would be a lot of sfx just in that song to try to synchronize with the video.
Perhaps a bass drum and cymbol crash to replace that?

The whole Flash Gordon thing is pretty cool, but I'm not going for camp, I have been trying to remove as much of that as possible. right?

Unless anyone who's watched my draft thinks it is suitable.

I tried this. It certainly givesthe appropriate feels and jeopardy, but it is repetative so I don't think I will be keeping it.
I'll post it here though for you to hear and possibly enjoy even though I have only done bare minimum and it is messy as heck.

What do people think on this?
It's been quite a while and I'm not feeling any better about this. Does it make sense for me to just finish this even if I just don't find the film to be enjoyable?
I think I more or less succeeded in what I set out to do. Even if the film is still lame, is that okay.... I tried adding other music in but it doesn't really work. Maybe I'm just depressed and I need to put it on hold? Or maybe there is a better set of music that could make this film work better?

To be fair, I don't think most people are excited about this movie either, so maybe it doesn't even matter?

I tried some variations on it. It doesn't really work. The soundtrack to this movie isn't actually that bad, but it's edited in weird. I'd remove the music from hte movie and re-score it but I have to face facts, it's not my skillset. I'll mix a bit here and there but rebuilding soundtracks is just not for me.

I figure, I'll clean up what I've got and improve some more sections and it should be fine. This section for example, Janet freaking out, I decided it would work best if I just don't have Janet freak out at all, so this is what I arrived at

What do people think on this?
It's been quite a while and I'm not feeling any better about this. Does it make sense for me to just finish this even if I just don't find the film to be enjoyable?
I think I more or less succeeded in what I set out to do. Even if the film is still lame, is that okay.... I tried adding other music in but it doesn't really work. Maybe I'm just depressed and I need to put it on hold? Or maybe there is a better set of music that could make this film work better?

To be fair, I don't think most people are excited about this movie either, so maybe it doesn't even matter?

Don't despair, what you are experiencing is very normal.

I know I have been there. Many times.

Sometimes fan edits do not turn out the way we envisioned.
And it is very easy to become frustrated or disillusioned when this happens.
And when it does happen, there many things you can do...

You can put it on the shelf for a while. See if the creative spark/passion for it reignites.

Share it with another fan editor or trusted friend for fresh eyes and ideas.

Hammer through it, and just release it. Maybe it doesn't check all your boxes, but why not share all the hard work with the other Antmaniacs?

Or just shutter it. And there is no shame in this. Sometimes, no matter what you do, you can not force a square peg into a round hole.
I know I have had to admit defeat on quite a few attempted fan edits over the years.

In the end, this a Hobby.
And hobbies are supposed to be FUN.
And they are supposed to be for yourself. Never fan edit for the audience or for clicks.
Make something that you want to watch.
Something that makes you happy and proud.
Something you find fun.

If you are not having any fun anymore making this particular fan edit, then you have to ask yourself is it worth it? :)

Thanks for the perspective :)
I found that I was mostly frustrated with trying to re-score it.
I'd not even implemented all the various fixes from people's feedback, so I took a look today and threw the re-score attempts in the trash. Then I looked at the parts that needed fixing.

I've also looked at some parts that I hadn't performed any cuts and realised I'm not happy with those, so I think I really needed some time. I've had that time now so I think maybe I can just go over it and I'll probably see everything that I feel I need to do.

To help with re-scoring, a fantastic, powerful and most importantly, FREE tool is

https://vocalremover.org

It has become a life saver for me on many projects!

:)
yeah I use melody.ml I think it must be similar, but my ability to build all the sound layers and all that is just not there. It's not my bag. Thanks for the link :)

Okay, I'm at draft 02.

I'd really appreciate anyone taking a look at this but I understand it's a lot to ask.

changes from draft 1 are as follows :
  • 2:57 : fixed jump cut with Kang's ship by removing "a ship that could travel the multiverse"
  • 5:41 : fixed jump cut by removing redundant shot of power core
  • 6:58 : improved cut but bringing audio cue in early
  • 9:10 : improved cut by carrying the music over as it ought to.
  • 9:50 : changed " trapped us both down here forever" to "trapped us both forever"
  • at the final parts of Janet's monologue, I inserted the part where Hope asks Janet if she wants to talk about it and Janet says no. (colour graded to look like morning)
  • 14:12 : fixed a jump cut that they put in the theatrical version
  • 15:33 : removed Janet telling Cassie to shut down the beacon and pulling the plug
  • 30:11 : Removed Krylar's "does your family know who you are"
  • 30:40 : Inserted after Krylar's "not a man, not a machine", shots of Scott and Cassie noticing the attack approaching
  • 31:56 : left a bit more of the fight at the bar before cutting to Scott and Cassie, attack on village
  • 35:26 : removed 'intro to MODOK'
  • 36:35 : The meeting Kang scene, I added a heartbeat into the soundtrack and altered it's tempo to match Scott's mood
  • 51:43 : removed MODOK's voice and face from Hank in ship and showed attack commencement
  • 51:43 : reinserted a couple shots showing Hank's ship going down, better pacing
  • 56:43 : restored Hank's story about hearing signals
  • 0:59:31 : removed a bit of Cassie flustered on the microphone saying she's with Jentorra
  • 1:03:13 : removed Cassie being chased by MODOK
  • 1:03:20 : and here
  • 1:03:40 : removed Cassie defeating MODOK and growing large, it doesn't matter how she got big, she does a lot of things off screen from the start, like the cop car for example
  • 1:04:21 : reverted the speed adjustments I'd done on Scott and Cassie being huge
  • took mid credits sequence out from where i put it and chucked it back to mid credits
  • Altered main titles to say "Kang Quantumania" using resolve fusion 3d text, animated and stuff.
  • inserted 'fanedit by' and 'thanks' into credit roll.
This is not a full edit list, just changes since draft 1. edit list for draft 1 can be found here.

Hopefully these changes make it top banana!!

Last edited:
poster.
image.png

I really hate doing covers. that means I got to write stuff... well let's get to it anyhow.
please stand by.

This is my blurb :

The grand introduction of Kang the Conqueror to the MCU, featuring Ant-Man and his family! Kang found himself trapped in a place called the quantum realm and met a woman named Janet, She helped him to repair his ship but at the last moment she turned against him and locked his ships engine in stasis with her shrink-tech. Years later, Janet and her family (including Ant-Man) got drawn back down to the quantum realm and now is Kang's chance to escape with the help of Ant-Man, whether he wants to or not!

And this is the cover.
kangcover.jpg

I've submitted this to the IMDB now and so the work is done.

k42q6uuwd1421.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom