• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Jurassic World (2015)

Neglify said:
It's not a remake. Reboot maybe. It's a sequel, 20 years after the first. A rebooquel (coined by me). The events in the three previous flicks are canon in #4 (as far as we know). They're using the same formula as the first, but it's not a remake.
It's not a reboot; reboots ignore what came before. (Trek XI is a rebooquel because it both continues and wipes clean the universe.) It is, rather, a kind of sequel for which we already have a word. Ready? Wait for it... wait...

Rejuvenation.

It's a franchise-rejuvenating sequel. "Rejuquel" for short, if you must. :wink:

The point of Jurassic Park is bringing Dinosaurs back to life and seeing humans try and survive them. Creating a GM Hybrid turns this into a generic monster movie. The SFX look lame also. The next trailer is going to need to really impress a lot, to make me part with my cash for a ticket to this movie.

TM2YC said:
The point of Jurassic Park is bringing Dinosaurs back to life and seeing humans try and survive them. Creating a GM Hybrid turns this into a generic monster movie. The SFX look lame also. The next trailer is going to need to really impress a lot, to make me part with my cash for a ticket to this movie.

You nailed it. Just another generic monster movie. The cgi kinda looks crap, especially those gates, I mean, whyyy?

yoshif8tures said:
You nailed it. Just another generic monster movie. The cgi kinda looks crap, especially those gates, I mean, whyyy?
To make money. And to bring the movie to a new generation. It's hard to see it that way because everyone on here including us are movie fans, but most people are casual moviegoers. Most teenagers today have no interest in seeing a movie over 20 yrs old, they're just not, and I don't blame them-- -they're kids who like flashy new things. Like, even I grew up watching mostly current movies, and only discovered the classics in my mid teens. A lot of people I know have literally never even seen the old star trek-- for them , star trek is awesome (by which I emean Both jj's movies, only).

I usually don't take the trouble to go, "You kids are missing out. Back in my day, we had Real dinosaur films, made by Steven Spielberg no less!"
Makes me look even older than I am. That said, I don't see the need to buy a ticket myself because personally I'm not interested in seeing the same crap again. If I'm paying for something, it's to see something new, which I'm surprised to say there still is, tho they're not superhero or summer blockbuster type movies.

GUESS WHO'S BACK

jpbdwong.jpg

DR. WU'S BACK

jurassic-world-viral-1.jpg

AWWW YEAAAHHHHH... :-D

TM2YC said:
The point of Jurassic Park is bringing Dinosaurs back to life and seeing humans try and survive them. Creating a GM Hybrid turns this into a generic monster movie.
Says the guy who raved about a certain generic monster movie earlier this year which featured a wise/concerned scientist, a military leader trying to control the situation, a handsome young serviceman in the thick of the action, and his caring, professionally care-giving hot, thin wife and young kid in harm's way? ;-)

Besides, JP1 already did "humans surviving dinosaurs" to perfection, which is a large part of why the existing sequels are so lame; there's only so much you can do with big-ass reptiles chasing people. If JP4 has to exist at all, why not do something new?

I mean, I myself'd love to see something completely new, say, a Before Sunrise-ish rom-com about two crazy young people falling in love over a long weekend that just happens to take place in a fully functioning Jurassic World. Heck, such a movie might - might - make its budget back... but the movie we are getting, whether we like/need it or not, is gonna make a lot more moolah than that one ever would. So it goes... :)

Gaith said:
GUESS WHO'S BACK

jpbdwong.jpg

DR. WU'S BACK

AWWW YEAAAHHHHH... :-D

Says the guy who raved about a certain generic monster movie earlier this year which featured a wise/concerned scientist, a military leader trying to control the situation, a handsome young serviceman in the thick of the action, and his caring, professionally care-giving hot, thin wife and young kid in harm's way? ;-)

Besides, JP1 already did "humans surviving dinosaurs" to perfection, which is a large part of why the existing sequels are so lame; there's only so much you can do with big-ass reptiles chasing people. If JP4 has to exist at all, why not do something new?

I mean, I myself'd love to see something completely new, say, a Before Sunrise-ish rom-com about two crazy young people falling in love over a long weekend that just happens to take place in a fully functioning Jurassic World. Heck, such a movie might - might - make its budget back... but the movie we are getting, whether we like/need it or not, is gonna make a lot more moolah than that one ever would. So it goes... :)
Who's Dr Wu?

Are you really just a shadow
Of the man that I once knew?
Are you crazy are you high
Or just an ordinary guy?
Have you done all you can do?
Are you with me Doctor?

Gaith said:

DR. WU'S BACK

That almost sells it alone :-D. Quite a memorable character for the tiny time he was onscreen.

Gaith said:
Says the guy who raved about a certain generic monster movie earlier this year

I didn't say I don't like generic monster-movies. Just that JP shouldn't be one, it's not what the brand is about.

It's about 'man vs nature', an ancient nature that man was never supposed to face. It's about survival, not an epic showdown against an evil killing machine. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think our heroes kill or even injure a single dinosaur in JP1. It would have felt wrong, as they are just being animals and hunting for food. Chris Pratt going up against a giant Dino nemesis holds no special appeal for me. If all the reviews say "It's nothing like a JP movie, but it is an awesome monster action flick" then maybe I'll watch it. But ditching the core-brand isn't going to make me buy a ticket on the brand alone, if you see what I mean.

On a side note, why would you want to create a hybrid anyway? People (Within the films story) would be paying to see the creatures from the history books made flesh. Some random testube creature isn't anything like as awe inspiring a spectacle. Maybe they have a clever explanation in the movie?

ranger613 said:
Who's Dr Wu?
This guy:

(he has a larger role in the novel)

... The movie could definitely be crap, and I'm apprehensive about the swaggering guy coming in to put the naive scientist woman in her place. But for now I'm keeping an open mind.

I watched the first Jurassic Park on AMC this Thursday, and one idea I picked up on was that the film didn't say that science is evil, but rather that people who don't fully understand the science they use are misguided. I wonder if that's going to be a theme picked up on for this one. I can picture that Jurassic World has been open for awhile and the idea to create hybrid dinosaurs is a publicity stunt to bring in a bigger crowd.

Also, something that's been brought up by detractors are how, with discoveries made since the first film's release, the dinosaurs don't look more avian in their looks, i.e., no feathers or anything. One, cloning isn't perfect. Two, multicolored dinosaurs are not scary. Just because you might be being scientifically accurate, doesn't mean your going to hit the beats that matter to audiences. Case and point, here's a trailer for a movie that has "accurate" dinosaurs.

I do wonder, though, if Jurassic World is going to mention the "T-Rex's don't rely on movement for their sight" thing, though.

I'm also disappointed in the "hybrid". Plenty of story to be done with regular dinosaurs.

And we don't need another "science is evil" movie. Though "Some scientists are idiots" is fine.

Hybrid could be a fun addition. The Spinosaurus was great as well, although that one did exist. I'm more afraid of the film in general.

Some JP art for y'all, from the Hero Complex Gallery...

prints-art-wall-26.jpg

01dd673e8ba27f69854e02b2d141d6b7.jpg

JimFerguson_3---3-Jurassic-Park---When-Dinosaurs-ruled-the-earth_1024x1024.png

BA9y80P.jpg

... Aaaand an official teaser poster from a Comic-Con:

l2numfogp8gyf2lth0mx.jpg

If all goes according to plan, I'll be seeing it next weekend. I'm cautiously optimistic. It's a given it'll be better than JP3 and nowhere near as great as JP1, but all I'm hoping for is it's better than JP2.

^ I'll wait to see what you guys think before investing my money ;-) because after several trailers the suck factor is still looking pretty high.

Sure was nice of Jeff to drop by and do this commentary...

Going to see this tonight with the wife and some coworkers at a local drive-in theater, which I didn't know still existed.

Back
Top Bottom