• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Jailbreaking DVDs now illegal?

• Motion pictures, as defined in 17 U.S.C. 101, on DVDs that
are lawfully made and acquired and that are protected by the
Content Scrambling System, where the person engaging in
circumvention believes and has reasonable grounds for
believing that circumvention is necessary because reasonably
available alternatives, such as noncircumventing methods or
using screen capture software as provided for in alternative
exemptions, are not able to produce the level of high-quality
content required to achieve the desired criticism or comment
on such motion pictures, and where circumvention is
undertaken solely in order to make use of short portions of the
motion pictures for the purpose of criticism or comment in the
following instances: (i) in noncommercial videos; (ii) in
documentary films; (iii) in nonfiction multimedia ebooks
offering film analysis; and (iv) for educational purposes in film
studies or other courses requiring close analysis of film and
media excerpts, by college and university faculty, college and
university students, and kindergarten through twelfth grade
educators. For purposes of this exemption, “noncommercial
videos” includes videos created pursuant to a paid commission,
provided that the commissioning entity’s use is
noncommercial.

This is open to interpretation... but ultimately, I do believe that the "short portions" piece is something to be cautious of... :(

However, this does not go on to define Bluray discs, so a transition to HD only sources may be necessary. Also, US law prohibits ex-post facto laws, meaning that earlier DVD sourced edits are protected by the laws that were in place at the time of their creation.

Sorry, but you don't jailbreak a DVD you decrypt it, it's not a sodding ipad/pod/phone/unnecessarily expensive and overhyped fashion accessory.

/pedant mode off

Oh, I thought it meant setting free the DVDs people have locked away in storage units.

ya mean like the "Criterion Collection" edition of "The Killer" with deleted scenes?

stomachworm said:
ya mean like the "Criterion Collection" edition of "The Killer" with deleted scenes?

The Dragon Dynasty edition has deleted scenes.

Neglify said:
Oh, I thought it meant setting free the DVDs people have locked away in storage units.

To be honest I hadn't thought about it like that, if that's the case then we must endeavour to rescue our fallen brothers who have been kept in bondage all this time, Viva La Resistance!!

nOmArch said:
To be honest I hadn't thought about it like that, if that's the case then we must endeavour to rescue our fallen brothers who have been kept in bondage all this time, Viva La Resistance!!

But maybe they're into bondage. ;):D

viva la bondage! :cheer2:

:ballchain: No wait, we must break the chains of bondage. :smash: UP WITH FREEDOM!!! :hippie:

Couldn't we have, you know, just a little bit of bondage? Totally optional of course, the idea of wiping bondage out completely just seems a little bit to heavy handed to me.

Maybe Freedom to have bondage? :eek::whip:

If I don't have the freedom to have bondage, I'd like to know which rights I have been exercising all these years :ballchain::lock1:

Back
Top Bottom