• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Is there anyway to reverse a fade to black edit?

TinyBreadMouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nearly finished with a Power Rangers 2017 extended edit, but one extended deleted scene in particular fades to black, and while I don't think it's possible, I figured I'd confirm with you guys first. I'm using Vegas 20

I assume you mean you'd like to recover the frames that have decreased in brightness before the clip goes completely 'black'? I'd also be interested if that's possible. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some kind of ai-powered tool out there that could bring back a consistent level of brightness to or create and approximation of those frames, though I also expect there would be details that are unrecoverable.

Ooh! I think I have an idea for this!
That old friend EbSynth.

First turn your clip into a png sequence.

Save a copy of one frame from the not-faded end of the clip in a separate folder. Don't edit it at all, it is your keyframe.

Set EbSynth to start on your keyframe and work through the clip. Run it.

The output won't look perfect. Import it as a clip and line it up frame perfect with the original, but on a layer above it.

Use blend mode Luminosity on the new clip from EbSynth (to retain only the luminance values of the clip, which control perceived brightness, and not using normal should also help obscure any possible color artifacts or smear/warp either introduced or uncovered by EbSynth), and if successful, it should make about half or possibly more of the fade go away.

However, it may introduce new problems. Your mileage may vary.

Edit: if pleased with results, experiment with brightening the keyframe to see if that might make the frames even closer to black into something more usable?

Last edited:
Ooh! I think I have an idea for this!
That old friend EbSynth.

First turn your clip into a png sequence.

Save a copy of one frame from the not-faded end of the clip in a separate folder. Don't edit it at all, it is your keyframe.

Set EbSynth to start on your keyframe and work through the clip. Run it.

The output won't look perfect. Import it as a clip and line it up frame perfect with the original, but on a layer above it.

Use blend mode Luminosity on the new clip from EbSynth, and it should make about half or possibly more of the fade go away.

However, it may introduce new problems. Your mileage may vary.

Edit: if pleased with results, experiment with brightening the keyframe to see if that might make the frames even closer to black into something more usable?
I was literally just about to mention EBsynth and tag you!

Back
Top Bottom