• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Is there an accepted standard for the format of the shared file?

VarsityEditor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Please forgive me if I've overlooked something, but I've been cruising around here for a while now and am still a bit mystified as to what exactly is expected for the format of the completed edit other than that it must be "high quality".

The site FAQ/resources/rules etc seem to talk a lot about conditions on the source used for the edit but nothing concrete on the expected resultant file. The "first time submission" page and its linked article "In the spotlight: FE quality" just say that it should have high quality picture with no problems from interlacing/low bit rate etc.
Maybe there's more details on the "first time submission" form, but I can't even view that page (until I've been a member for 30 days, I think).

Some people talk about having it burnable to a Blu-Ray while others just talk about a digital file to be played on a computer. I was imagining producing a file, eg mkv or mp4 and never imagined producing a burnable disc image etc.

Is any format acceptable so long as it is of sufficiently high audio/video quality?

Further to that, is there any consensus on best formats for compatibility/accessibility from the audience's point of view? Thanks.

People typically release as 1080p .mp4 or .mkv files, encoded h.264 or h.264 video codec and AAC or AC3 audio.

People typically release as 1080p .mp4 or .mkv files, encoded h.264 or h.264 video codec and AAC or AC3 audio.
Thanks, that's exactly what I was planning on doing, but was a bit intimidated by all the talk of designing DVD cover artwork and burning disc images etc

To be added to IFDB, you will need some "cover" art, but really just the front cover. Some people do also make full wraparound front/side/back Blu-ray covers and/or release burnable .iso files that sometimes even have menus, but this isn't required.

To be added to IFDB, you will need some "cover" art, but really just the front cover. Some people do also make full wraparound front/side/back Blu-ray covers and/or release burnable .iso files that sometimes even have menus, but this isn't required.
Thanks for clarifying!

Back
Top Bottom