• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Is there a global shortage of tripods?

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been thinking about a thing that I find really annoying, it is when static shots are set up but they are incredibly shaky for seemingly no good reason. So I'm thinking either tripods are such old technology that newer directors haven't learnt about them, or there is a shortage of tripods for some reason. What do you think?

edit:
Maybe some examples of good photography that doesn't shake all over the place and is there any good static shots that are shaking all over the place?

Certainly a good example would be Stanley Kubrick.

All the influencers snatched them up? 🤷‍♂️

Seriously though, a big pet peeve of mine is the “unsteady cam” peaking out from behind something when it isn’t being used to show someone’s perspective. When I see that shot I assume the audience is being told someone is watching.

If you pay attention even steadyish shots in films are rarely static, I suspect it's an effect added in post to make the shot seem less artificial/cheap. Like if you think of a sitcom you think of cameras that are precisely still and pan smoothly, when you think of a big budget film you expect more "natural" shots that aren't shaky persay but continually move in a fluid manner, even if the movements are tiny during static close up conversation shots.

I do love the style of the film Columbus (2017) though, and that uses a ton of very static shots. He's a great director though, knows his stuff, and pulls it off well. Really gorgeous movie.

I do love the style of the film Columbus (2017) though, and that uses a ton of very static shots. He's a great director though, knows his stuff, and pulls it off well. Really gorgeous movie.
I just saw the trailer. Wow, some breathtaking photography there.

Back
Top Bottom