• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Is it ok using unrelated music on a fan-edit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If lets say, i have this scene in a fan-edit, and there is that song which is from a different movie's soundtrack or totally unrelated, and that song could improve the fan-edit IMO, could i use it or is it against copyright issues and stuff like that?

There are countless of fanedits here that do that.
I even made a Conan fanedit with the band Manowar as the soundtrack and my next one is almost the same kind.
Of course I also edited the songs most of the time but using a song in its entirety would not be a problem at all.

If we cannot do that, then I stop fanediting now! lol

would we have to own the music to watch the edit?

The rule is that you need to own all of the source material from a fanedit.

How would someone know ahead of time what songs they need to own?

Yet another example of the gray areas with some of this. My understanding of the actual copyright laws are very confusing on the matter of music, even more-so than video. Could a person be sued for using a piece of copyrighted music on their wedding video? My understanding is no, but I could be wrong.

There was an interesting segment on NPR today talking about the business of technology patents and how out of hand it has gotten with law suits. One example was this guy who won a patent for a piece of technology that simultaneously had 5,000 other people applying for a patent on the exact same piece of technology. The whole business of patents and copyrights desperately needs to be updated to fit modern times so that it once again promotes innovation instead of stifling it. Sorry... I'll shutup now.

I heard the same story, in and of itself it was a fascinating piece which highlighted some of the serious ridiculousness of what passes for a patent.

That said, own it is the rule. Faneditors should list in the description of their fanedit their sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom