• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Introducing Kids To Star Wars

I was born in 2002. I got to experience the prequels, the OT, the 2003 Clone Wars, and the Lego Star Wars video games all as a small child. And a bit later I got to see Star Wars in the theater, that is, the 2008 Clone Wars, and I went on to watch a bit of the show itself (though I generally had a hard time getting into the show at the time).

Considering how controversial my love for the prequels seems to be here, I think it's fair to say that the prequels are absolutely easier to accept as a child. I mean, @macmilln is only slightly older than me and doesn't have the same love, but I'm convinced he just says that to seem better than me ;)

So anyways, my point is just to say that your kid getting into the prequels makes total sense to me.
Now, my little brother is around the same age but he doesn't care much for Star Wars beyond the Mandolorian, how do I fix that? :mad:
So the one nine year old who likes it has always liked Star Wars more than the other. But honestly I think the real impetus for him watching the Prequels is he’s been playing the LEGO Skywalker Saga on Switch the past few weeks. He still really only loves Baby Yoda. Not the Mandalorian or anything else but just Baby Yoda.

I was out the night of 4 May, but my kids started watching the prequels. They had started them once a few years ago but grew bored quickly and never resumed. This time one of my kids is getting into it but the other bailed halfway through Phantom Menace. But the one getting into is just now starting Revenge of the Sith. He is watching the theatrical versions that are on Disney Plus. I’ve watched some of them with him (the ends of TPM and AotC basically). I haven’t seen the theatrical versions of these movies in probably 15+ years. Wow, they have so many problems. The ST has its own issues but on a fundamental level there just no comparison. With as much time as they had to make these movies, some of the issues are just unforgivable. It just seems painfully clear that no one was willing to tell Lucas some of his ideas simply don’t work. But for a nine year old kid, it’s different. Now, I admit I needed to rant a bit about the Prequels, but on the topic of the thread, I think I’m glad the kids started it without me putting in an edit. Edits are made for adult sensibilities and I think they deserve to see the movies in the original form. Perhaps for the next viewing (if there is one) I’ll see if they want to try a different version.
Greetings, just to ask, which P.T. fan-edits do you tend to view instead, and which of the flaws do you consider most-egregious within the films' theatrical-forms? Lo: I ask as I currently am drafting my own fan-edits for the second and third episodes, having already crafted such for "T.P.M.".

~Waz

Greetings, just to ask, which P.T. fan-edits do you tend to view instead, and which of the flaws do you consider most-egregious within the films' theatrical-forms? Lo: I ask as I currently am drafting my own fan-edits for the second and third episodes, having already crafted such for "T.P.M.".

~Waz
I mean that’s a huge question. But I can sum it up by saying I don’t think the basic outline of the three movie story is that bad. But the execution at basically every turn is just awful. The dialogue is forced and often comes across as a parody of Star Wars. A simple example: Dooku saying, “my Jedi powers are superior to yours.” (Or something like that). If someone just says let’s get rid of the word “Jedi” here it makes the thing seem less self-aware to the point that it borders on parody. 99% of the humor doesn’t land; not even for a nine year old. I specifically asked my nine year the general question if he thought Jar Jar and C3P0 were funny and he said,”not really.” The romance isn’t believable; the politics are contrived and an overly complex “plot.” The character motivations are often wildly inconsistent. The action feels way too choreographed as to lose any dramatic weight. It’s cool to see Maul and Obi-Wan flip around with a lightsaber the first time, but then you realize just how easily one of them could’ve landed a blow if they weren’t painfully obviously choreographed. Many action scenes seem like ideas for set pieces that were square pegs jammed into the plot’s round hole. The CG makes things that should feel exciting feel empty and sorta weightless. Basically, I think my preferred way to experience the Prequels at this point is to put on Williams’ amazing score and read a very bare bones plot outline. 🤣

I, like many, feel that the prequels are a dumpster fire - but they aren't entirely devoid of merit, even if that merit is surrounded by a pile of sh**. In isolation, I full on believe that both scenes where Maul is dueled, along with the podrace, are some of the best scenes in the franchise. The production design and some of the FX on TPM also hold up well and still look great for the most part (which is not something I can say about episode's ii and iii). And loss of dramatic weight is a script issue, not a choreography issue.

That being said, with the exception of Attack of the Clones (cos it's so-bad-it's-good), I find the prequels unwatchable in theatrical form.

I, like many, feel that the prequels are a dumpster fire - but they aren't entirely devoid of merit, even if that merit is surrounded by a pile of sh**. In isolation, I full on believe that both scenes where Maul is dueled, along with the podrace, are some of the best scenes in the franchise. The production design and some of the FX on TPM also hold up well and still look great for the most part (which is not something I can say about episode's ii and iii). And loss of dramatic weight is a script issue, not a choreography issue.

That being said, with the exception of Attack of the Clones (cos it's so-bad-it's-good), I find the prequels unwatchable in theatrical form.
Yeah, I just disagree on the duels. I like them as a visual spectacle and love the music, but I do feel they are way over choreographed which does, in my opinion, diminish the dramatic impact. But I respect your opinion.

I consider prequels to be integral part of the story, - unlike the sequels.
in fact, I consider prequels to be more interesting plot-wise than the original trilogy, and they generate much more emotions (in turn, OT has better overall feeling and more likeable actors/characters).

I never watched any SW fanedit in its entirety except War of the Stars (not counting Despecialized which I do not consider to be fanedit but restoration) and the only one I am interested in seeing is upcoming Bobson Dugnutt's extended Empire.

Last edited:
^^^ Perfectly valid. As I said, I think the idea for the Prequels is good. I’ve said it before, the prequels have a good story poorly executed and the Sequels have a poor story the is better executed (at least for 7 & 8). For me, Star Wars is Eps 4 & 5 with an epilogue of just the throne room scenes in ep 6. The rest my kids are welcome to enjoy, but I simply don’t.

Back
Top Bottom