• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny Fox Cut

TheFoxMan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After doing some re-edits to my Crystal Skull edit and finally decided to give the Dial of Destiny a shot.

Overall I liked this movie - I just felt it was too long. It’s also a movie I am not overly familiar with, so unlike Crystal Skull and Star Wars I don’t have every shot and line memorized - which actually helps because it makes edits stand out less as I rewatch scenes.

Currently I just finished up the Tuk Tuk Chase - the editing to this point has been pretty straightforward. The second half is where things really started to drag so I have some work cut out for me.

In the first half I basically cut out de-aged shots I didn’t think that worked. Most of these are just cutting shots by a second or less just to leave less lingering on Indy’s face.

I also cut out the god awful train running scene. Have no idea how that made it into the movie in the first place.

Same with the parade chase. I cut out a lot of the shots that you can tell is a digital face on the stunt man. I also cut many of the unnecessary closeups of Harrison that are clearly green screen. We don’t need to see closeups of his face to understand Indy is riding the horse. We had an entire fight in Temple of Doom with a double and I feel like nothing was taken away from that scene by not constantly seeing Harrison’s face.

The auction Tuk Tuk Chase - same thing. Eliminated fake looking closeups and took out the awful conversation Indy and Elena have while driving at high speeds. I also eliminated the entire fiance storyline. Now those guys are just faceless henchmen because there are always faceless henchmen in Indiana Jones movies!

That’s where I’m at now! Happy for suggestions how to continue with the second half from people that have seen it more than me.

I feel the ending is what it is - I don’t think we can eliminate Elena knocking him out. But open to thoughts!

It's not an easy movie to edit 'cause there simply aren't any obvious cuts you could make to improve the movie. This is gonna have to be a death fix by a thousand cuts deal, and even then your mileage may vary. Best of luck.

Last edited:
It's not an easy movie to edit 'cause there simply aren't any obvious you could make to improve the movie. This is gonna have to be a death fix by a thousand cuts deal, and even then your mileage may vary. Best of luck.
I'm actually currently editing the scene where they board the plane at the end - I actually think I've made some significant improvements while also cutting about 30 minutes that are pretty unnoticeable from the film.

Awesome! I'm in whenever you need me, Foxy!
Thanks, Art! I’m uploading it now to Dropbox and will send you a message when it’s done.

Would love to get your expert opinion! Also going to need an amazing poster!!

are there any deleted scenes in the dvd that you could use ? I wonder if it’s possible to remove the time travel part entirely lol. But I’m very excited to watch this ans see if you can rescue indy!

are there any deleted scenes in the dvd that you could use ? I wonder if it’s possible to remove the time travel part entirely lol. But I’m very excited to watch this ans see if you can rescue indy!
Unfortunately there are no deleted scenes released at this time. I actually don't mind the time travel aspect - I thought it was actually done fairly well. The scenes aren't designed to be campy or funny - there is serious fear and panic in the Germans when they go back in time. The only thing I thought was "off" were the scenes that focused on one random Roman soldier who seemed to be on a mission to take down the plane. They looked like bad historical re-enactment footage so I cut that soldier out entirely - the rest of the shots actually work pretty well I think.

Someone over at OT has created the opening scene with deaged Indy with his younger voice so Indy doesn't sound like an old man trapped in a 45 year old. Have you considered doing something like this for the opening scene?
I haven’t seen that yet - definitely want to check it out. I haven’t yet dabbled into the AI voice stuff so I’m not sure where to even start with it.

I am interested in previewing this version. Will you use deepfake and AI voice?
I'll send you a PM - thanks for your interest!

As of now, I have not dabbled in AI voice or deepfake (actually I take that back - I tried to do a Rey AI voice and it sounded laughable). I just don't have enough knowledge on the technology yet.

I don't think deepfake is necessary for how I edited the beginning - I think a good majority of the de-aging was done well. I have just cut many of the shots I felt didn't look as realistic.

I'll let you be the judge - I'm also wanting to cut maybe 3-5 more minutes out somewhere.

I'm hoping Foxy can be coaxed into doing HD Surround Sound versions of the entire Quintology...
Hahaha - so complete transparency….

I think the only reason I got into fan-editing is because I hold the original Star Wars and Indiana jones trilogies in such high regard. I was a kid so I literally see no faults in any of the movies. I feel like editing them (while there are surely ways to edit and improve them) would be sacrilege!

That’s why my obsession in the sequels seems to linger - I am trying to make these movies that I enjoyed as a kid (fair or not) compare to those. The Star Wars and Indiana Jones sequels had such a sense of disappointment that came with them that I still can’t tell if it’s just because I saw the originals when I was a kid and now I’m an adult or if they are in fact bad movies.

I’m still convinced the Star Wars sequels if viewed through the eyes of a 7 year old like I was when I first saw them - would I love them just as much as the originals? I think I would!

Indiana Jones 4 - maybe not so much. That’s why I think my edit is so drastic for that one. Indiana Jones 5 I actually liked and my edits are much more subtle than Crystal Skull.

I guess my reasonings for liking 5 so much was that it felt like the end of an era for me. The last “good old adventure” film that was unapologetic fun with a good John Williams score - it felt like an 80’s movie to me (while too long). Crystal Skull didn’t feel like that. So I hope my edit attracts more people who were turned off by crystal skull to give Dial of Destiny a chance because it really is a good send off.

Last edited:
Fox,

Your last comment really resonates with me. I never connected with Crystal Skull. I tried some edits and it still did not click with me. That led me to completely avoid watching Dial of Destiny.

It sounds like you are making an edit for people like me who want Indiana Jones to feel like the first 3 movies. I can look forward to that.

While DoD never rises to the heights of the first three, it’s not a bad movie. To me, IJ is usually as good as the sidekick role is. If you swapped Sean Connery’s Jones Sr. for Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s character, I think DoD might even be better than Last Crusade. That’s nothing against the actress, it’s just the father/son dynamic worked much better. But obviously a story about an old IJ can’t have his father too, even if Connery was still alive. Anyway, all that is to say that the Internet hate machine was fully primed for this movie it seems. And the movie is not nearly as bad as many make it out to be.

Back
Top Bottom