• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

"Includes Digital Copy of the film!"

I think this idea is for non-tech savvy people to be able to have a legal copy for their portable devices, as Ilubu said. I just read some article where an industry spokesman was saying that very thing, and apparently some survey they had just done shown that a majority of people really liked this feature and that they would buy more discs with digital copies in the future. So perhaps it will become standard.

Does it really set the price point any higher? It doesn't seem like it should cost them that much to include this feature. Are they really charging more for these discs because of it?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but I'm sure the industry wants people to think that they MUST pay extra for it, that way the average disc price can get driven up excessively. The grey area in including the digital copy is whether it needs to be on a separate disc or not. That's my only concern, is that they make you pay extra for a third physical disc when it could have fit on the extra space of the one or two existing discs of real content. Aside from that, I don't really care if they include it or not, just don't make me pay extra for it. It's not additional content, it's the same content in a different form.

stomachworm said:
What is gonna suck is when they (industry types) start forcing the purchase on you by means of 'Digital Copy only of the director's cut' or some such rubbish.

Looks like that day is now upon us. The latest Texas Chainsaw Massacre film, Texas Chainsaw 3D, was recently released to DVD/Blu-Ray and they only included the theatrical cut. The Director's Cut is available for purchase, but only through iTunes. What also pisses me off about this release is that they didn't release a standard Blu-Ray edition. The movie is available on DVD and in a Blu-Ray 3D combo pack, which consists of the Blu-Ray 3D, Blu-Ray, DVD, and Ultraviolet editions. I already hate 3D and have no plans to ever buy a 3D TV or a 3D Blu-Ray player so why force me to buy a Blu-Ray 3D release? And what the hell is an Ultraviolet copy? How does it differ from a Digital Copy like they used to offer?

Now the real reason why I brought up this 4.5 year-old thread. A couple of years ago after getting the A-Team Blu-Ray combo pack for Christmas I decided to pop in the DVD to check the Digital Copy. Just to see if I could transfer it to my computer without having to use iTunes. On the back cover they mention that Digital Copies require no downloading because they're already on the disc and all you'll be doing is transferring it to your hard drive. So I popped in the disc and it started transferring no problem. What happened next I don't exactly remember. It either transferred completely but wouldn't let me play it or it transferred completely but before finishing I got a pop-up saying I had to use iTunes to transfer. If the Digital Copy is included on the disc itself, then why do I need to use iTunes to transfer it? And why do Digital Copies have expiration dates? I mean if the movie is on the disc itself then that means that it's not being hosted on iTunes site, or any site for that matter, so all you're doing is entering a verification code. Why can't the site just keep a list of every verification code they give out so that you can transfer at your own leisure and not have to worry about the code expiring? Not that I care about the Digital Copy, as I've already stated in this thread, I just think that it's a really stupid thing to do.

i'm really glad you resurrected this old thread. it was interesting to look at how far the whole "digital copy" thing has gone in the last 5 years.
and now i've seen advertised on tv some of the brick & mortar stores (Wallmart and Best Buy i know of) offer the Disc to Digital service. you pay a fee for your movie to be converted to a format your device can play. yippy!
this whole thing with the "digital copy" thing used to really irritate me for all the reasons that was being talked about earlier on this thread.
until one day i had an epiphany at the auto shop getting my car worked on.
i was sitting in the waiting room watching a movie i converted myself on my phone and i realized, i'm paying some company to fix something on my car that i could probably easily do myself . . . . if i only knew how to do it.
but i can't. i'm not a car guy by any means.
and the fact is, not everyone is a computer person either (that's generalized).
so i'm paying for a service i don't understand (and probably getting ripped off) just like all the rest of them are paying for a service they don't understand (getting their movie converted or having the studio provide it to them).
that's just my perspective.
i agree with you on your point, Frantic. the digital copy should just be a generic file on the disc with no DRM that pretty much everything can play. it shouldn't expire or require some other service or some specific codec that only one player can recognize.

Frantic Canadian said:
I'm curious who didn't like my post and why. :lol:

It was a mistake on my part, meant to hit the "like" button. Nothing to dislike about your post IMO.

I figured it must have been somebody who accidentally hit the NO button. I've done that once or twice myself. It's too bad there isn't an "unlike" or "unhate" button like on Facebook. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom