• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

"Includes Digital Copy of the film!"

Ziz

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
More and more films are coming with these free digital copies. Is that making it any easier or inspiring to get the film into your computer to start the edit or is there still some kind of DRM/copy protection in place to thwart your efforts?

Nah. Why use a lower quality version of the film when you can just rip the full DVD version?

The sooner this "WITH DIGITAL COPY!" phase passes, the happier I'll be. What a waste of money and packaging.

Oh, so it's not just for convenience, it's lower video quality. They don't tell you that on the package.

Personally, I don't care if the digital copy is included or not, just don't advertise it as another disc in the set. Incredible Hulk is NOT a 3 disc set - it's two discs with a third disc of the same content as one of the other two.

Ziz said:
Oh, so it's not just for convenience, it's lower video quality.
I'm only assuming that...seeing as it's for iPods and whatnot.

The whole 'digital copy' thing is a bit of a misnomer anyway. How is it any more digital than the regular DVD? :-?

This is a subject that pisses me off so much. What a bullshit "bonus". Taking up a whole disc for a poorly mastered avi and charging extra for it is supremely "special".

reave said:
This is a subject that pisses me off so much. What a bullshit "bonus". Taking up a whole disc for a poorly mastered avi and charging extra for it is supremely "special".

I couldn't agree more. load of crap.

ThrowgnCpr said:
reave said:

I couldn't agree more. load of crap.

My understanding of the digital copy is to make things easy for the portable devices crowd who may not have the means or time to go through the conversion process on there own..

and in digital copy defence i have yet to see one dvd package that charges extra for it... but then the economy is crap and im sure that might just be a case of stores trying to move product...

Ilubu said:
and in digital copy defence i have yet to see one dvd package that charges extra for it...
They are slightly more subtle than that. What they do is, they don't include it with the single disc edition, they only include it in the 2 disc edition...the sneaky part is, the digital copy is the 2nd disc, and all the extras are crammed onto the first disc. So basically, you've paid more for the extras even though you've really just purchased a single disc special edition.

It's a rip.

I'm concerned about this movement as well. My friend bought the 2-disc special edition of Juno...basically, more features packed onto disc 1, which really couldn't have done much for the quality of the main film.

The Clone Wars is also going to have a digital copy as well...if they squeeze more extras onto disc 1 I fear for the quality of the video. I've never been disappointed with the release of a Star Wars film yet (at least audio/visual wise), but we'll have to see.

Well, animation should take up less space because you don't have the color tonality or detail level of "live" images, which gives them more space on the disc for other features.

And there's no reason why they can't fit the digital copy on the existing disc, space notwithstanding. The T2 Extreme Edition has a WMP compatible version of the theatrical cut on the disc, and that came out years ago before this whole "includes digital copy" thing was even an idea.

Ziz said:
The T2 Extreme Edition has a WMP compatible version of the theatrical cut on the disc, and that came out years ago before this whole "includes digital copy" thing was even an idea.
The WMP version is on disc 2, and shares space with a couple of short featurettes.

This really pisses me off too. Most of the time the first disc in the set will only include the movie, commentary(ies) and maybe some deleted scenes or trailers which would probably fit onto a DVD5. Why can't they just burn it onto a DVD9 and include the digital copy on the first disc instead of making it seem like they're releasing an even bigger edition than they are? It's just a marketing ploy and a cheap one at that. I was really excited to hear that they were releasing a 3-disc edition of The X-Files: I Want To Believe, as the first film was a single disc and pretty bare bones, but it turns out the third disc is only the digital copy. I understand giving out a digital copy but why not include it on the first disc as I've already mentioned or sell the digital copy via iTunes or some other web distributor? For those of us who don't give a shit about it it just pisses us off that we have to pay more for what is essentially a 2-disc set.

I'm very proud to say that I own ZERO dvds "with digital copy", except for T2 and they didn't charge me an extra 5 bucks for it. What is gonna suck is when they (industry types) start forcing the purchase on you by means of 'Digital Copy only of the director's cut' or some such rubbish. BTW, I wholeheartedly agree Uncanny Antman, a regular DVD is NOT analog. By it's very name [ahem] D.igital V.ideo D.isc it is already a digital copy. Perhaps they should start calling them PMP (personal media player) copies instead.

I don't have a single digital copy DVD, but I would have to look at it first before deriding it as pointless. Chances are that my own iPod files are better than it. Hell, my iPod files look better than stuff coming off the Apple site.

Uncanny Antman said:
Ziz said:
The T2 Extreme Edition has a WMP compatible version of the theatrical cut on the disc, and that came out years ago before this whole "includes digital copy" thing was even an idea.
The WMP version is on disc 2, and shares space with a couple of short featurettes.

Whichever disc it was on, point is they didn't dedicate a whole separate disc to it...it was just another bonus feature.

I haven't used any of the "digital copies" I have, but the only reason I got them in the first place was because it came with the deluxe edition I wanted anyway, not because I specifically wanted the "digital copy". I don't need to take my movie collection with me everywhere I go, so to me it's a waste.

The T2 WMP is a DRM nightmare. I would rather have the disc from the Ultimate Edition than a 2nd disc with 2/3rds of it worthless.

I only have Live Free Or Die Hard with the digital copy but that's because there's extras on the second disc that aren't included on the single disc edition and the digital copy just happens to be one of them. I will be getting the digital copy edition of The X-Files: I Want To Believe but that's only because the single disc edition is pretty bare bones compared to the 3-disc edition. Thankfully they're giving us an extra disc of special features with this one and aren't charging us simply for the digital copy. I don't understand why they can't simply include the digital copies on the DVD-Rom side. I mean movie rips are usually about 700 MB's in size which would leave you plenty of space to cram more regular extras. Fucking studios and their damn marketing ploys.

I was actually gonna ask, how big are the PMP (personal media player) files on these "Digital Copy" discs?

stomachworm said:
I was actually gonna ask, how big are the PMP (personal media player) files on these "Digital Copy" discs?

I was only quoting the average movie rip size you find on any old torrent site but when it comes to file sizes for the "digital copy" editions I have no idea. I never bothered to pop-in my Live Free Or Die Hard second disc to my DVD-Rom drive to find out.

My prince caspian 3-disc set came with the movie on D1, special features on D2, and then the PMP copy on D3.

Back
Top Bottom