• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Hurricane Sandy

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Don't know how many of you guys, if any, live in the affected area, but sending my best wishes and thoughts to everyone.

+1

That looks pretty hardcore, in a non-Michael Bay way.

Thoughts and prayers for anyone there, or anyone who has family there.

Apparently it's just a 'super storm' now.

nOmArch said:
Apparently it's just a 'super storm' now.

Considering we're feeling the effects of the hurricane here in Chicago, nearly 800 miles away from NY, I'd say it's pretty super.

I'm on the coast of VA and the worst of the storm is over, everyone I know is ok and the sun's out.

It got me two days of paid vacation/room confinement, though I really should have stocked more chow... :p

We just got a little bit of strong wind here in Ottawa, Ontario. A transformer blew behind my house around 3:20 this morning and caused a power outage. Power was back up a few hours later though. I've got a friend in Carney's Point, New Jersey and one in Point Pleasant, New Jersey though so I hope they're doing alright.

Manhattan looks pretty shaken today - lots of trees down and power out on the whole south part of the island, but not too bad really considering what it could have been. Very strange to see the whole subway/bus/plane services all shut down though! NYC is taking the day off.

I am in the NY area, just outside NYC, and I work in Manhattan.

We are OK, as is the school I work at. My parents, who live on the other side of my town, have downed trees, no power, and roof damage. My mom just spoke to her neighbor, who heard that the latest estimate for when power might (might) be restored to their part of town is fourteen to sixteen days.

There are no buses, no trains, no subways. Seven subway lines -- basically, all of the lines that connect Manhattan to Brooklyn -- got flooded.

The FDR (a major Manhattan road, for those of you who don't know) was completely submerged at the height of the storm. Power went out to pretty much all of Manhattan south of 39th Street after a transformer exploded at the Con Ed power station on 14th Street. Apparently, there is still no phone service, even for people with landlines.

A hospital at NYU lost both power and its backup generator, which forced staff to evacuate 250 patients -- some of them critical newborns in NICU -- to other hospitals, walking or carrying them down to long lines of waiting ambulances.

There were many, many fires in Queens, and some of them just had to burn, since firefighters couldn't get to them. Red Hook in Brooklyn got hit particularly hard by flooding, and the ocean flowed onto Manhattan streets from the Battery all the way up into Harlem. I even heard reports of cars floating down streets just a few blocks from where I work (which is closed).

At least ten people have died so far, which is actually amazingly few, all things considered.

Oh, and parts of the Boardwalk in Atlantic City floated away...

My brother is an emergency planner in southern New Jersey, which also got hit very hard. He left for his Office of Emergency Management on Sunday, and he's still not sure when he will be able to go home.

So yeah, I'm feeling very, very lucky, and very shaken up.

http://gothamist.com/2012/10/29/photos_cars_are_floating_through_fl.php

This just in.... Worlds largest water park to open soon.

Reports say that next summer Americans will be able to check out the newest water park "new jersey".

The park includes such rides as "subway tsunami", the "jersey shore lagoon", the "brunswick avenue lazy river" and much more!

Glad you're okay, heb, and hope that your folks can get power back forthwith, or spend a few days with friends who already have it. ;-)

Sorry Juice... There can only be 1 Neg and 1 Frink. The rest of us are expected to be respectable and such...

nightstalkerpoet said:
Sorry Juice... There can only be 1 Neg and 1 Frink. The rest of us are expected to be respectable and such...

Then you obviously don't know we very well. Maybe it was a bit too tsunami but i still enjoyed writing it and laughing with my buddies. It got far worse than what i posted.

Yes i am aware of how horrible the true situation is and i do feel for the people effected. But i lived through hurricane Andrew and saw that first hand. I cant do anything to help the situation so i make light of it.

If someone finds it too offensive, im rather sure there is an ignore button somewhere on the forums.

... That wasn't an attack or criticism, FTR. Simply an amused comment on the number of dislikes. And we should talk more. I never have gotten my fill of Juice on here. :llama:

Ahhh, well im on tapatalk so i cant see dislikes.

And i didnt take it as an attack or criticism. Just clarifying :)

And totally we should, thats if we ever end up in chat at the same time

juice4z0 said:
This just in.... Worlds largest water park to open soon.

Reports say that next summer Americans will be able to check out the newest water park "new jersey".

The park includes such rides as "subway tsunami", the "jersey shore lagoon", the "brunswick avenue lazy river" and much more!

I meant to hit the dislike button but accidentally hit the like button.

tumblr_ljd0ljRuXL1qztwte.gif

Gaith said:
Glad you're okay, heb, and hope that your folks can get power back forthwith, or spend a few days with friends who already have it. ;-)

Thanks, Gaith!

nightstalkerpoet said:
Sorry Juice... There can only be 1 Neg and 1 Frink.

At the same time, there can only be one Juice.

Death to all juice.

Back
Top Bottom