• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

How to optimise Sony Vegas Pro performance?

evansT

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello there. I'm currently editing a few films, but am constantly falling into pitfalls because Vegas keeps on running too slowly to be able to work with. While editing, my video channel will become stuttery, only showing a few frames at a time so that my video looks more like a slideshow of screenshots than an actual video. Worse still, sometimes it'll freeze on one frames for upwards of 30 seconds before displaying another frame, making editing these shots together practically impossible.

Another problem is that the audio and video constantly go out of sync with each other, meaning that I'm trying to edit video and audio streams together which are about 10 seconds out of sync with each other, again making any sort of editing impossible.

This is happening to me all the time, and I think that it's because it runs too slow on my computer with my hard drive not being able to use it properly without freezing. What I want to know is whether there's any easy way to optimise my computer or Sony Vegas so that I can actually run the programme problem free without it constantly freezing on me so that I can actually get down and edit this damn movies that I want to make?

there are some really simple things to do first (without even dealing with the program-specific issues) regarding a media workstation:

* get 4GB of RAM
* make sure your CPU is up to the task
* use a different hard drive than the program installation for TEMP files (and do this with all of your applications, really. i use an entirely separate TEMP partition (/tmp) in linux for this purpose.
* if you have the money use 10,000 or 15,000 RPM drives (i.e. WD raptor/velociraptor drives)
* keep your software up-to-date.

i'll let folks who use vegas deal with your actual question ;)

Good tips joe. As for optimizing Vegas, I don't think that is your problem. Vegas (as well as some other sophisticated video editing programs) are computer hungry. Running them on an antique machine is going to be tough work. I would take joebshmoe's advice, and other than that, I dont think there is a lot you can do to Vegas. Changing the preview window to "Preview (auto)" might help a bit.

Here's something I used when I was editing using Vegas back in the day on my 1.2GHz Athlon XP with 256MB RAM - highlight very small sections of the video, no more than 3 or 4 seconds, and press Shift+B to cache that section into RAM. Turn looping on and hit play, while keeping that section highlighted. It will help you check that cut on the video preview (this will work smoothly with any quality). Incidentally, this forced me to be a perfectionist about my video edits - it didn't do much for the audio however. :)

Also check your Taskbar (down by the time) and see how much crap you have running in the background. Close down anything that's not absolutely necessary for editing. Also make sure your machine isn't trying to run a virus scan while you're working. Set it to run in the middle of the night and leave your machine on when you go to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom