• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

How to maintain HDR(10) grading when editing using DaVinci Resolve

teymourb

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello, I'm looking to make some zooming in/out and adding black bars to sequences of Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice 4K UHD (Remastered).

I have the movie ripped using MakeMKV. I used Shutter Encoder to transcode the file to DNxHR HQX (10-bit) for use in DaVinci Resolve.

I would like to maintain the HDR as it is and export the footage back in HDR10, only resizing the image and adding black bars. Is there a way to do that in DaVinci Resolve? It seems that in all the HDR guides for fanedits out there is something different from my project. Unfortunately, I'm working with an SDR display but the objective for me is that the edit on my display, when tonemapped to SDR, looks the same way as the original HDR footage.

Thanks in advance.

Hello, I'm looking to make some zooming in/out and adding black bars to sequences of Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice 4K UHD (Remastered).

I have the movie ripped using MakeMKV. I used Shutter Encoder to transcode the file to DNxHR HQX (10-bit) for use in DaVinci Resolve.

I would like to maintain the HDR as it is and export the footage back in HDR10, only resizing the image and adding black bars. Is there a way to do that in DaVinci Resolve? It seems that in all the HDR guides for fanedits out there is something different from my project. Unfortunately, I'm working with an SDR display but the objective for me is that the edit on my display, when tonemapped to SDR, looks the same way as the original HDR footage.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not familiar with davinci but afaik if you export as HDR it should keep the proper colors, regardless of the screen you use.

teymourb,

In Resolve under
File > Project Settings > Color Management:

Timeline color space = Rec 2100 ST2084
Mastering display = 1000-nit BT 2020 D65 ST2084 Full

When you render out a video using these settings it will be in HDR.

If you want the preview video while editing to look less washed out and terrible, on the same Color Management screen under lookup tables > Video monitor lookup table, pick whichever Blackmagic LUT you like best. It won't be perfect but it is just for monitoring and won't affect the render.

Back
Top Bottom