• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

How important in Blu-Ray compatibility, really?

Do you prefer Blu-Ray compatible versions of fanedits or smaller non-Blu Ray versions?

• Blu-Ray compatible (letterbox bars, AC3 audio, larger file size)

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • non Blu-Ray compatible H.264

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • non Blu-Ray compatible HEVC (better compression but less compatible)

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

octoroxx

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
When I create a fanedit, I always make sure to release a Blu-Ray compatible version that can be burned to disc using software like tsmuxer. However, in today's world, I'm wondering how much this is something that people actually care about. Myself, I've moved to plex as a method for viewing fanedits.

If you're willing to break Blu-Ray compatibility, you can reduce file size by removing burned-in letterbox bars and using better compression methods without sacrificing quality. What do you all think?

90% of edits I prefer the accessibility of a file I can play off of my laptop with ease. In very specific cases, like with a restoration effort, I like the option of a blu-ray.

All my edits are Blu-ray compatible and burned to BD-R.
That being said, I dont release them that way because it seems people don't care and releasing 22-23 GB blu-rays is problematic.
That being said, my smaller files also should be Blu-ray compatible if someone would put them into TS_Muxer and convert into BDMV structure.

But any edit that I would consider keeping and rewatching needs to meet these requirements because I am not interested in watching movies/fanedits on my computer. Especially files with cropped black bars are something I really dont like.

Last edited:
Because If I would try to convert it to Blu-ray compatible file (standard Blu-ray or part of MultiAVCHD compilation that plays as good as BD), it needs additional work that also includes re-encoding.

Because If I would try to convert it to Blu-ray compatible file (standard Blu-ray or part of MultiAVCHD compilation that plays as good as BD), it needs additional work that also includes re-encoding.

That's understandable. I'm afraid that I am one of those who gets rid of the black bars. Just allows for smaller file sizes and I don't have the luxury of unlimited space.

But any edit that I would consider keeping and rewatching needs to meet these requirements because I am not interested in watching movies/fanedits on my computer.
Have you never tried using something like Plex? I never watch anything ON my computer, but I watch everything through it, through my home network, and on my TV.

Nope. I am old fashioned and I mostly use discs and Blu-ray player (except for Netflix and D+ which I dont like using anyway).

I like edits to be fully Blu-ray compatible and as high-quality as possible in terms of audio and video quality. It's good to have a few smaller files as well for watching the first time around to see whether or not I like an edit, but if it's good enough for me to want to rewatch, I want to burn it to Blu-ray.

That's understandable. I'm afraid that I am one of those who gets rid of the black bars. Just allows for smaller file sizes and I don't have the luxury of unlimited space.
It's generally bad practice to leave them, you're doing it right imo. There are so many screen aspect ratios that playback scaling is messed up on if they're baked in. That's why if you look at YouTube standards for instance they tell you to avoid adding black bars.

When I create a fanedit, I always make sure to release a Blu-Ray compatible version that can be burned to disc using software like tsmuxer. However, in today's world, I'm wondering how much this is something that people actually care about. Myself, I've moved to plex as a method for viewing fanedits.

If you're willing to break Blu-Ray compatibility, you can reduce file size by removing burned-in letterbox bars and using better compression methods without sacrificing quality. What do you all think?
You could export 2 versions of the edit and let members choose what fits them best?
i.e. A high bit rate Blu Ray version and a lower bit rate version.

All my edits are created with an M2TS file which is usually the raw file in the BDMV folder on a Blu-ray. I render them at the same settings as the native source plus another 5mbps to ensure transitions are clean ...I convert the resulting rendered edit to a high bit rate MP4 and make the M2TS version available for a few months. A few edits still have the larger Blu-ray compatible files available since I do get asked for them quite a bit.

So I prefer compatible since I bur most other peoples edits to disc if they are large enough.

Back
Top Bottom