• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

How do you handle the credits when converting a TV show to a movie?

korach1921

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Do you just play the end credits sequence of the last episode? Do you combine all of the sequences from all the episodes together? Do you make a new sequence crediting everyone listed in every episode?

I think manually putting together the credits from the episodes used into one neatly ordered credits list is what I would do, but I haven't done any TV-to-Movie yet.

Do it whichever way you think looks best. Being 100% accurate is great but not a dealbreaker.

After all, would anyone notice if some crew names were missing? Will you notice?

@lapis molari I think individual credits for everyone involved needs to be accurate and complete first, then the layout and look of them come secondly.
I don't think leaving off someone's credit for their hard work for the sake of looks is incorrect.

I mean, my main concern here is more an ethical one. I want to make sure I'm giving everyone their due credit for the work they put in. Aesthetics is kinda secondary (although it just dawned on me that trying to figure out the music for the end credits might be kinda tricky if it's gonna be so expansive)

@lapis molari I think individual credits for everyone involved needs to be accurate and complete first, then the layout and look of them come secondly.
I don't think leaving off someone's credit for their hard work for the sake of looks is incorrect.
Well both of these sentences contact each other but I assume you mean the first one

@lapis molari
I think every single original credit should be added in a complete form.
After that: make the credits look good WITH the correct credits.
I think leaving off someone's credit for their hard work for the sake of looks is incorrect.
There we go.

@lapis molari
I think every single original credit should be added in a complete form.
After that: make the credits look good WITH the correct credits.
I think leaving off someone's credit for their hard work for the sake of looks is incorrect.
There we go.
I think you mean correct, not incorrect. It's not correct to leave off someone's credit for their hard work. But thanks for backing me up : )

Leaving a credit off for the sake of looks is wrong/incorrect/bad/unethical etc.

Boy, this got confusing. 😵‍💫

It goes without saying that all FE faneditors care about giving credit to the people who made the films in the first place.

But..., there are grey areas:
- Old movies list few crew in the end credits, while IMDb has those details. Should we add those names to the end credits now that we have that information? When movie studios don't?
- If I add a deleted scene with an actor who isn't otherwise in the film, must I change the end credits to add his name?
- If you include all people and end up with a really long list, how much can you speed up the scroll to contain the duration of the end credits before it becomes too fast? If it's too fast to really read, does a complete list still count as "giving credit"?
- On a practical level: making / changing credits is easy with some software but not with all. If a faneditor doesn't have the relevant software, they can list additional credits in the IFDb listing of their fanedit (similar to how we credit "other sources").

Boy, this got confusing. 😵‍💫

It goes without saying that all FE faneditors care about giving credit to the people who made the films in the first place.

But..., there are grey areas:
- Old movies list few crew in the end credits, while IMDb has those details. Should we add those names to the end credits now that we have that information? When movie studios don't?
- If I add a deleted scene with an actor who isn't otherwise in the film, must I change the end credits to add his name?
- If you include all people and end up with a really long list, how much can you speed up the scroll to contain the duration of the end credits before it becomes too fast? If it's too fast to really read, does a complete list still count as "giving credit"?
- On a practical level: making / changing credits is easy with some software but not with all. If a faneditor doesn't have the relevant software, they can list additional credits in the IFDb listing of their fanedit (similar to how we credit "other sources").
Thanks, this was very comprehensive and helpful. I'll try to figure out what I want to do, but I'll cross that bridge after I actually make the edit.

Ideally make a new credit sequence and find an appropriate song or two to play over it. But it's potentially a lot of work for minimal benefit, so I'd say it's a nice-to-have rather than an essential. Particularly if the original credits are especially nice-looking and can't reasonably be modified or recreated.

That's a good thing to do, sure.

Ideally. And delete actors who no longer appear in your edit, put in an "additional editing" credit for yourself, etc.

It's impossible to read all the credits on a modern blockbuster in real time anyway, and most people don't try. It's more symbolic than anything else.

- On a practical level: making / changing credits is easy with some software but not with all.
If your NLE isn't good for making credits, make them in something else and import the video file. Or a sequence of stills if you want non-scrolling credits. There's plenty of open-source software that can do it.

I've faced this with Picard and a few others...and I've employed all solutions and sometimes none...
For Split Unbreakable Glass and a couple of others, I've gone to IMDB and created a completly new credit roll...but it is laborious even if cutting and pasting...since there is formatting and the like to contend with...

As @ArtisDead said...."Do what you feel is correct".

Back
Top Bottom