• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

How can I restore the "Bram Stoker's Dracula" deleted scenes?

hbenthow said:
I was under the impression that unless you have smart rendering, every time you render the video, you lose quality in the whole video. With smart rendering, the only parts that lose quality are those you edit. After all, doesn't rendering cause a loss in quality? I have Vegas 9.

The point I have been trying to get at is that this statement is not true if the proper workflow is used. What I failed to understand is just what 'smart rendering' means when it comes to womble.

hbenthow said:
When I use the VOB files in Womble, only the parts I edit are encoded.
You have taught me something new. I was finally convinced to go look at womble's site. The product site does indeed claim what you say about 'smart rendering' doing a frame-accurate direct passthrough of the unedited portions of the video stream. Interesting idea. If this actually works, then you can indeed use your mpeg2 format mostly without loss other than areas where you edit. Though, this still doesn't solve your video restoration and effects problems. maybe a good starting point is to do the rough cut in womble and then worry about the rest after.

Sorry I am not more help about using womble. I am going to bow out of this discussion.

hbenthow said:
How do you frameserve with Womble?

Frameserving from Womble is accomplished using the method that I linked to previously. (It's the one I don't recommend.)

I doubt that I'll try frameserving from Womble, then.

Here is a good link addressing some of the issues traditionally involved with mpeg editing and why it is traditionally a bad idea. Also a good explanation of how these video files get compressed. You should read this. This person also endorses womble saying it does a good job overcoming these hurdles. It also appears that womble does have some denoising, color correcting, and cropping filters, so stick with Womble and good luck! Any areas where you use any filters or effects will be re-encoded, but hopefully if you are lucky the encoder will handle these areas ok (I am skeptical of that but I will keep my fingers crossed for you). Just make sure to limit it to only your final encode.

http://www.video-editing-software-tips.com/331/mpeg2-editing-mpeg4-editing-software/

Let us know how it turns out.

As long as you are only using fades and short dissolves, one way to do it is this.

Rip Movie to a single MPEG2 File

Edit MPEG2 in Womble & save using Smart Render.

Enable VirtualDubs Frameserving function (run auxsetup.exe and click install frame handlers)

Load new mpeg2 file into VirtualDub*

Apply any necessary filters

Start frameserver & choose a filename

Then all you need to do to is load that file into whichever encoder you want to use.

Then import that file into DVD-lab and create your DVD.

What I've said above is only the very broadest strokes of how to actually do it, each step involves quite a lot of work to setup correctly. There are detailed guides in the FAQ's section of this site and as geminigod mentioned above doom9 is a great place for tutorials and general info.

If you want to do anything more complicated with the video, the short answer is do not use Womble in the first place.

*If you want to use MPEG2 files with VirtualDub then you must be using the 1.9.x version and you will need the MPEG2 and AC3 plugin.

Just make sure to limit it to only your final encode.
I've been creating each scene separately, and storing them in a folder to render them into the complete movie when I'm done with them. Should I stop doing that?
Oh, and thank you for the link. It's quite informative.

As long as you are only using fades and short dissolves, one way to do it is this.
Some of the dissolves I do are pretty long - several seconds. Is that problematic?

Also, the Womble timeline has an option to stretch the dissolve with the mouse, so as the get it the perfect length. Does Vegas have this feature?

Back
Top Bottom