• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Holy Grail

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are there any movies over the course of cinema that editors might consider the
Holy Grail? Movies that shouldnt be touched or changed....for example original Psycho, or is everything fair game? This thought came to me when i came up with the idea to fanedit Stand By Me.

Im reffering to movies that shouldnt be touched or movies you see released and it instantly gets the "I cant bekueve someone remade that movie"

Or theres idiot directors who re release their own movies and change things from the original,,,What were you thinking Lucas, Spielberg

It's an interesting question, and one I'm not sure how I would answer. I personally think that everything should be fair game, whether or not I would choose to edit it. For example, I don't think I'd change a thing in Raiders of the Lost Ark, but I can imagine other people coming up with interesting edits of it...and there is in fact one already on the site .

For what other people have thought about the subject, you might want to check out this thread .

Well, there are in fact a few "holy grails", but not based on the quality of the movie. Unavailable sources that are not public domain are not allowed as fanedits, because the original cannot be bought. An example would be THE KEEP http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085780/.
Then of course fanedits by other people could be considered a thing to not edit, especially if you did not ask for permission. But that's just netiquette and only can become problematic, if you want to share your "new" edit with the same community.

Infodroid edited The Holy Grail. ;)

boon23 said:
Well, there are in fact a few "holy grails", but not based on the quality of the movie. Unavailable sources that are not public domain are not allowed as fanedits, because the original cannot be bought. An example would be THE KEEP http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085780/.

The Keep is available on Laserdisc :)

boon23 said:
Well, there are in fact a few "holy grails", but not based on the quality of the movie. Unavailable sources that are not public domain are not allowed as fanedits, because the original cannot be bought.

What about, say, "Robotech: The Movie: The Untold Story"? It was made by splicing footage of "Megazone 23" and "Super-Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross" (aka "The Masters" portion of the "Robotech" TV series) together and creating a new story out of it. It was never released on home video in the U.S., but it was elsewhere. It's long since out of print. If someone wanted to remaster it, they could use the "Megazone 23" DVD and the "Robotech Remastered: Extended Edition" DVDs (both of which are available) for footage and the "Robotech" soundtrack album for the score and songs, but the actual dialogue would have to be taken from a second-hand source. Would this be permissible?

Mark Moore said:
the actual dialogue would have to be taken from a second-hand source. Would this be permissible?
What is the source?

TV's Frink said:
What is the source?

For this movie, probably anything that we're lucky to get our hands on. The only (legit) copies would be, say, PAL VHS releases in the mid-1980s.

If it's an official release it's fine. As long as there is an official copy being used go nuts.

Back
Top Bottom