• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Hitchhikers

Very interesting idea, lots of potential. Hope to see the final product soon.

RobotAlien said:
Very interesting idea, lots of potential. Hope to see the final product soon.

Hey, thanks man!

And welcome to FanEdit.org! Make yourself comfortable.

Just an update on this.

The project is finalized, it looks really great (thank you, [MENTION=9578]Neglify[/MENTION]).

The draft and the finalized copy have been copyrighted.

I've begun the marketing process, it's daunting to say the least.

I've formally submitted it to Discovery's TLC US-Canada - they promise a "No" or a "We're interested" in four weeks or less.

Amazon studios is easy to submit to, but their terms are too controlling so they will be the very last.

Looking at entering it into all of the TV pilot festivals - these happen in the fall so lots of time to get it ready.

Netflix is like a damn fortress. They are the big-dogs of web-tv, they apparently play by their own rules. I plan to just blindly mail a copy to their corporate headquarters with a short write up of the plan on the same disk and hope for the best.

HBO is also a fortress, I plan to do the same as Netflix for them.

I'm looking into using http://www.greenlightmymovie.com/ also. It's not free, but it is relatively cheap compared to what I've spent so far on the project. If I post a clip on that site, I'll link it here.

Agents...
It's nigh impossible to get one. You can't find them, they find you. And the only way they find you is to get your stuff 'out there', whatever that means. Perhaps at festivals or similar.

Media Attorneys...
Are f****** expensive. They aren't exactly easy to find, although I haven't really devoted a good chunk of time to this yet. I have an attorney already - to make sure whoever I deal with doesn't totally screw me over. I'd use my attorney still; even if I got an agent or media attorney. All proposed deals will go through him.

Will keep you guys updated on developments. I also have some ideas for FanEdit itself as well.
-Wayne

Good luck on this, Wayne. I have a handle on your obstacles. Agents generally don't want to deal with you unless you can show credits or productions. Once you have a track record and connections, however, you don't necessarily need an agent. Writer forums wail on and on about that.

Vultural said:
Good luck on this, Wayne. I have a handle on your obstacles. Agents generally don't want to deal with you unless you can show credits or productions. Once you have a track record and connections, however, you don't necessarily need an agent. Writer forums wail on and on about that.
Yeah, its just like I.T. also, but harder.

"So... I applied for an entry level position, and you want me to get experience first before I get experience?"

Been there done that. Honestly, looking back, I feel like it wasn't so hard after all. When they all said experience, they were really saying "show us you have worked the shit jobs first, show us your making this a career, and then we'll hire you."

I'd say the media industry is much the same. Want to get in? Do it without being paid first, then take some classes to refine the skills you've already developed (and rock those classes because your already good), and then get a shit job at a shit place doing a shit task that is truly related to your goal. Step up from there in a year or two - don't stay longer.

Have a relative doing that.
Summers as unpaid intern.
After graduating, hired on as go-fer with WB.
Year 2, a runner on something.
From the beginning, predicted it would take five years to earn "a chair in the room."

Interesting! I've hitch hiked all over the country and the one time I owned a car I picked up hitch hikers. I think it''s pretty fun! Good luck with this.

Sizzler reel / trailer

Enjoy

The intro is 1 minute long, this was made to be a bit longer and include a little more of the actual show content. Mad props to [MENTION=9578]Neglify[/MENTION] for putting this together. Major kudos to that FE editor who did all the title / animation work.

Several people have seen the pilot on disk, I've gotten lots of positive feedback. People are asking for more; consistently. I know this is a killer idea, now it's just a matter of getting someone with decision ability to see it. Funds permitting, going to put together some materials to mail out to various distributors.

Wayne, I hate to kick rocks at this stage, but
will this be mostly car interiors?
Will there be conversations under the overpass?
Getting food at Stuckey's? (God, are there even Stuckey's any more? - If so, do you think they would pay you to film in one?)
I'm just seeing some interior fatigue.
Also - very cynical of me - record labels might shell out a bit if your car stereo plays Taylor Swift instead of "Copperhead Road"

Then again, Steve Earle would be fucking awesome for this.

Vultural said:
Wayne, I hate to kick rocks at this stage, but
will this be mostly car interiors?
Will there be conversations under the overpass?
Getting food at Stuckey's? (God, are there even Stuckey's any more? - If so, do you think they would pay you to film in one?)
I'm just seeing some interior fatigue.
Also - very cynical of me - record labels might shell out a bit if your car stereo plays Taylor Swift instead of "Copperhead Road"

Then again, Steve Earle would be fucking awesome for this.

Interior fatigue, in more or less words, has been brought up by several people. It's a major problem for longevity of program and needs to be addressed creatively.

Conversations under the overpass is incredibly difficult, or any sort of conversation on the side of the road for that matter. A few other reviewers have suggested this idea also.

The problem is the noise. I tried recording a great deal of bits for the intro on the side of a highway and it just didn't work out - too many audio problems. Too much noise, too many cars whizzing by, to much thunderous roar from semi trailers, to many loud SUVs, motorcycles... The wind proves to be incredibly difficult to work with too. It's impossible in post-production to eliminate all of that noise - I've tried. While a great idea, I can't do it with my current setup. I'd need the head-set microphones, they'd need to be dynamic, and cranked way up - with noise removed in post and then brought back down to proper levels. Even then though - this is not a football game announcer, it's a show and those mics are unsightly..... I'd like to get feedback on using those.... Just the visual aspects of them.

Getting food has also been suggested by several others also - and is another great idea.

The problem with this is getting a brand name to consent. Highways and the side of the road are public property, and the interior of the car is my private property; so far no permission has been needed other than from the hitchhikers themselves... and my crew. It might be easy, might be hard... What chain wants to affiliate themselves with a show about hitchhikers? I don't know. Maybe I could use my completed pilot to persuade them. I couldn't pay them. In fact - they should pay me. They should allow my crew and current hitchhiker to eat X number of times per week during production - for free. This will be something I'll look into.

You're the first to suggest radio music. Another great idea, but getting it done may be difficult. They might want me to pay them for rights usage, and I'll never go for it. Also - with it playing on the actual car radio, it'll get sliced - n - diced in post production by the editors, hardcore. To be honest, the more silent the interior of the car is, the better the mic pickups. Music could always be added in post production, and be made to seem like it's playing on the radio. Add some dirt, grit, and ever so slight echo and it'll be believable. For every hard transition, where the audience knows the video was cut, the song can change. There aren't many of those, due to [MENTION=9578]Neglify[/MENTION] being awesome and all - he sliced it up pretty heavily but the flow is damn near seamless, perhaps even better than the original recordings.

I'm beginning to seriously consider adding more content to the pilot - enough to bring it up to the 41 minute mark. 4 more hitchhikers should do it. I'll try damn hard to get some chain restaurant to consent to filming & free food for the crew & hitcher in exchange for free advertising on a network. For starters, I'll ask for 4 meals - for pilot purposes, and rights to the video & audio. But I just don't see how it's possible to shoot on the side of the road........ As great of an idea as it is, and as much as I WANT to do it, I just don't see how from a technical perspective.

I used to drive cross country a lot.
When I did, I always hit those rest stops.
Park - cook dinner - check tires/radiator - listen to long haul truckers.
Rest areas used to be ubiquitous along Interstates.
States started howling budget cuts, and I know several were shuttered.
Maintenance costs, liability insurance, graffiti, midnight violence, the usual.
There are still many around, and those would afford a more controllable environment than the overpass.

Vultural said:
I used to drive cross country a lot.
When I did, I always hit those rest stops.
Park - cook dinner - check tires/radiator - listen to long haul truckers.
Rest areas used to be ubiquitous along Interstates.
States started howling budget cuts, and I know several were shuttered.
Maintenance costs, liability insurance, graffiti, midnight violence, the usual.
There are still many around, and those would afford a more controllable environment than the overpass.

And most importantly, they are public property...

I'm going to do that, thank you [MENTION=17386]Vultural[/MENTION].

If a restaurant does not want its logo used, or if anyone wants not to be included (as you sometimes see on shows like Restaurant: Impossible), there are a number of ways of obscuring faces or logos in post-production that are relatively easy to achieve. Let me know if you would like a link to a tutorial...

File downed fine for me using IDM.
I have an earlier version at 695 MB, running time is the same in both.
Same edit?

Those of you who have not seen this yet, take a look.
Imaginative concept, well executed.

Back
Top Bottom