• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Highly Rated Movies You Don't Like

dangermouse said:
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. A "mystery" which is obscured by bad storytelling and boring characters. Show men walking, walking, walking. Close up to meaningful stare. Hard cut to a page being signed. 20 second close up of the pen. Men shouting suddenly with seemingly no motivation. Men walking. etc. Flashback. Men walking. Flashback - but don't tell the audience, have tiny clues it's a flashback. Character motivations are hinted at, but never explained or fully revealed. Unfortunately a 2 hour movie is not a novel, and the filmmakers didn't understand that.
Oh, and I pegged the mole in the first 15 minutes of the movie. It's not complicated, because for all their attention to detail, the filmmakers were lazy.
I know they were going for "confusion" so that we could feel the sense of confusion and "fog" that the spies feel, but in my opinion it fell completely flat. Rather show us the character's confusion, than make us confused!

Thank you. I agree so much it hurts. I've never wanted to like a movie more than I wanted to like this (big fan of pretty much all the actors AND the director, and it looked amazing), but I lost faith about halfway through. There's no flow to it whatsoever. It follows every impressionist whim it gets, while packing too much plot into its runtime (a common flaw of adaptations of crime and spy stories). Since everything is plot and mood, the characters are completely forgotten about. When it stayed with a character for an extended period (like with the Tom Hardy character) it worked. Sadly, that was only about 15 minutes of the film.

I actually like impressionistic, directionless art films that look great. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is the big exception.

I can't say I didn't or don't like Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy, but I remember how bored and annoyed I was with certain things. It's smothered in too much weighty self-conscious music, slow and lumbering, it feels like life and spontaneity are squeezed out of you. There are too few plot twists or genuine scary moments, and I didn't much care for Frodo and the ring until the (brilliant) climax on Mount Doom. On the other hand, I love the prologue and generally all of Galadriel's narrative scenes, Theoden's poems, the battle for Helm's Deep, the ride of the Rohirrim, Gollum and the incredible detail of the sets and props. Having now read Tolkien's books I can appreciate what a great job Peter and his wives did, but on the emotional level King Kong is just so much better. How about a a Howard Shore-free LOTR version? ;)

maxie09 said:
Peter and his wives

:lol:

don't be shy, maxie. use the Crouching Tiger soundtrack to rescore LotR.

With the exception of SPARTACUS and DOCTOR STRANGLOVE,
pretty much everything by Stanley Kubrick.

His work just leaves me cold.

Please don't hate me.:oops:

^
ywbd_title.jpg

^ I knew you would have "something" to say Rogue.:p

I know your love for the Kubrick.

But most of his work/style is just too detached for me and does not engage me on any emotional level.
But at least I still have Bigfoot, he never lets me down! :-D

Who is this "Dest Royed" character?

bionicbob said:
With the exception of SPARTACUS and DOCTOR STRANGLOVE,
pretty much everything by Stanley Kubrick.

His work just leaves me cold.

Please don't hate me.:oops:

Funny, I actually didn't really care for Spartacus, not a fan of the gladiator/swords and sandals type movies, and I hated Dr. Strangelove. Liked/loved all of his other movies though. Except for Eyes Wide Shut. I don't really remember much about that one.

BUMP! Watched The Killing again recently, and man that's an excellent movie. Every frame works, and Kubrick's cold storytelling really clicks with these world-weary, hardened characters. And that ending!

Back on topic: A Clockwork Orange, despite being a visual masterpiece, is just not a good movie. Confused, unfunny, and not half as profound as it thinks it is.

I know most people on this site knows this, but I hate Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 2.

b503e13b2fbf0af4e231630a75c3e00bd6d687e305a9cb029b54085260ad9621.jpg

meh, spiderman anything hardly classifies as a highly-rated movie...

ThrowgnCpr said:
meh, spiderman anything hardly classifies as a highly-rated movie...

Doesn't it? 93% on Rotten Tomatoes isn't highly rated?

Masirimso17 said:
Doesn't it? 93% on Rotten Tomatoes isn't highly rated?

Sure, it seems to be generally liked, but expecting a torrent of backlash at the comment is silly. It's a recent superhero movie with a moderately good rating on IMDb (7.3). It hardly compares to some of the other movies being discussed in this thread (such as films from Kubrick, Leone, Nolan).

ThrowgnCpr said:
Sure, it seems to be generally liked, but expecting a torrent of backlash at the comment is silly. It's a recent superhero movie with a moderately good rating on IMDb (7.3). It hardly compares to some of the other movies being discussed in this thread (such as films from Kubrick, Leone, Nolan).

Ah, I see. You're talking about masterpieces. I just assumed you're talking about generally liked movies when I saw the title. My bad.

I know that 'Interstellar' seems to be highly-rated - at least in this forum - but I thought it was a mess.

Masirimso17 said:
Ah, I see. You're talking about masterpieces. I just assumed you're talking about generally liked movies when I saw the title. My bad.

nah no worries, I think the thread is pretty general. Your use of the meme though just made it seem like Spiderman 2 was some masterpiece, and that an angry mob was going to come after you for saying anything bad about the film ;)

One movie I always get criticized for not liking is Raging Bull, I really despise that movie but everyone seems to love it.

Back
Top Bottom