• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Help on how to achieve a couple of image special effects

If you aren't making that The Room edit, I'm locking this thread.

TV's Frink said:
If you aren't making that The Room edit, I'm locking this thread.

Ha! What a story Frink!

Big thanks, again, to Brumous. His suggested directions have steered me in the right direction. Like I've said ad nauseum: I'm a photoshop noob. I'm on the right track but have a long way to go in terms of getting this polished. I think I need to use the "Refine Edges" feature, be more patient and take more care with selecting the outline of the person in the image. Still need to mess around and explore the brush strokes more thoroughly. I probably need to play around with layer blending. I also have to decide what I'm going to do when parts of the person are cut off/out of frame from the screen cap. Here's my first attempt, not fishing for compliments - fishing for suggestions and tips though.

Casa De Mi Padre:
casademipadre1.jpg

g1orkatsos example:
w7kffm.jpg

Gatos trial:
2gtc2h4.jpg

some suggestions:

lose the red stroke around the character. That wasn't done evenly on the originals, its just modified leftovers from the loose cutout they did.

apply a very faint gradient over the yellow strip (fainter in the middle)

ThrowgnCpr said:
some suggestions:

lose the red stroke around the character. That wasn't done evenly on the originals, its just modified leftovers from the loose cutout they did.

apply a very faint gradient over the yellow strip (fainter in the middle)

Nice, I'll give that a try! Gracias!

Basically what I stated above, except I added a bit of noise to each layer, and added an uneven selection around the kitty to give that effect:

gatos_throw_zpsd9a93461.jpg

ThrowgnCpr said:
Basically what I stated above, except I added a bit of noise to each layer, and added an uneven selection around the kitty to give that effect:

gatos_throw_zpsd9a93461.jpg

Awesomeness

I followed Throw's advice, had to change the background of the cat from black to 50% gray before I drew a selection around it. I don't really know what you mean by a gradient over the yellow strip, maybe can explain?

DDnB2lR.jpg

Brumous said:
I don't really know what you mean by a gradient over the yellow strip, maybe can explain?

make the yellow strip its own layer. Go to Layer Style -> Blending Options -> Gradient Overlay.

Choose Reflected from the style. change the angle to 0 degrees (or just off of zero depending on the angle of your yellow strip). Change the two colors to slightly darker yellow and slightly lighter yellow. make the middle color the light one. change the scale and opacity to make it subtle.

ThrowgnCpr said:
make the yellow strip its own layer. Go to Layer Style -> Blending Options -> Gradient Overlay.

Choose Reflected from the style. change the angle to 0 degrees (or just off of zero depending on the angle of your yellow strip). Change the two colors to slightly darker yellow and slightly lighter yellow. make the middle color the light one. change the scale and opacity to make it subtle.

Thanks [MENTION=4689]ThrowgnCpr[/MENTION]. It gave me a subtle darkening at the left and right edges. Always good to learn cool new techniques.

I could get an effect sort of like that by making new layers above the yellow stripe & painting in white and black tints to lighten and darken parts of the stripe, then set the layer blending mode to overlay & dial down the opacity.

Or could use dodge and burn tools right on the stripe. There's a couple of ways to get the same effect.

yep, there's always more than one way to skin a gato.

Back
Top Bottom