• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Has SPIKE TV ruined the Star Wars experience for you?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Now I am not the biggest SW Fan, as many of you know.

While the Prequels do absolutely nothing for me, I do carry a great fondness for the Original Trilogy.

That said, has SPIKE TV taken some of the magic out the Star Wars for you?
This channels seems to air both Trilogies continuously,
every time I flip pass the channel one of the six SW movies seems to be playing.

So I am curious, for you hardcore SW guys, does this non-stop airing of Star Wars
make the experience of watching SW less special? Less magical?

Just curious...?:)

Like the experience could be further ruined...

Don't know have Spike TV, but I can add to this thread that for me, back to the VHS area (and even if I had bootleg VHS of the movies before most of my friends, thanks to my father, but don't tell anyone!) it was always a joy to see the Star Wars movies playing on french TV about each Xmass because I knew we would all talk about Star Wars the next day!
I kind of miss that feeling of waiting for something to air on TV. It was almost like watching the movie with everyone, because, well, there were few TV chanels and you knew all your friends were watching the same things at the same moment.
That's how some movies built such a fan base: by creating enthusiasm because it was rare.

So Star Wars on heavy rotation on TV? Well I would say "fuck it", but knowing we are now in 2012 and almost every geeks can see anything, anytime, anywhere, then I would just say that I'm happy I was born in 1975; because I still had that sens of wonder as a child and now that I'm a greedy old bastard I can enjoy movies on my 16:9 HDTV when the fuck I want! :-D

TMBTM said:
I kind of miss that feeling of waiting for something to air on TV. It was almost like watching the movie with everyone, because, well, there were few TV chanels and you knew all your friends were watching the same things at the same moment.
That's how some movies built such a fan base: by creating enthusiasm because it was rare.

So Star Wars on heavy rotation on TV? Well I would say "fuck it", but knowing we are now in 2012 and almost every geeks can see anything, anytime, anywhere, then I would just say that I'm happy I was born in 1975; because I still had that sens of wonder as a child and now that I'm a greedy old bastard I can enjoy movies on my 16:9 HDTV when the fuck I want! :-D

+5

TMBTM said:
Don't know have Spike TV, but I can add to this thread that for me, back to the VHS area (and even if I had bootleg VHS of the movies before most of my friends, thanks to my father, but don't tell anyone!) it was always a joy to see the Star Wars movies playing on french TV about each Xmass because I knew we would all talk about Star Wars the next day!

This is getting bookmarked as a fav quote.

I know Spike paid some insane amount of money to have exclusive broadcast rights for SW for a period of 6 years starting in 2008. They have two years to finish trying to recoup their money so it doesn't surprise me that they've become the Star Wars Channel, but I never watch Spike so I wasn't aware of just how much it was.

Like TMBTM I fondly remember how amazing it was when SW was first put on broadcast TV, or if it was on cable and either my mom could afford it that month or my best friend had it at his house, there was definitely something special about that excitement and anticipation.

That said, I don't watch any version of Star Wars that either unaltered PT or unaltered SE. For the PT I have my versions, for 4 I have Adywan, 5 I have ady's theatrical restoration and for 6 I usually watch Q2's.

Fortunately while still in love with Star Wars, my boys have grown obsessed with Lego's Ninjago cartoon/marketing bonanza and I am happy to see them expand their horizons and develop healthy non-SW obsessions which are also independent of my own passions/obsessions, so over time returning to star wars will perhaps regain some of that 'specialness' that it currently lacks.

I don't have a problem with it. I remember having to wait a long time for the movies to come on the air, and how exciting that was. But I haven't watched it on TV for a long time, since I've had videos (and now fanedits) to watch anytime I please.

There's also such a thing as being too precious with films. The "great" Disney cartoon classics like Snow White and Bambi never came on TV because they were "special." But nobody cared about The Sword in the Stone, so that got played on TV a lot . . . which means that I have more of a nostalgic connection to that film than the other ones I mentioned, since I only saw them once in the theater.

I would kind of prefer to have kids grow attached to the (original) Star Wars movies by having them be readily available. And when they grow older, I hope they become wise enough to see how dumb the prequels are. :)

Back
Top Bottom