• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Favorite Edit of the Year (FEOTY) 2020 Awards are here.

Halloween - A Portrait of Terror by Last Survivor

LastSurvivor

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
1,680
Reaction score
120
Trophy Points
83



Original titles: Halloween, Halloween II, Halloween H20: Twenty Years Later

Fanedit title: Halloween - A Portrait of Terror

Studios: Compass International Pictures, Universal Pictures, De Laurentiis Company, Dimension Films, Nightfall.
Faneditor: Last Survivor
Originally released: 1978, 1981, 1998
Fanedit release: October 2015
Original running time: 269 minutes approx
Fanedit running time: 160 minutes approx
Cut time: 109 minutes cut
Started edit: November 2014
Finished edit: October 2015

Synopsis and Purpose of Edit:

Halloween. Most people think little further than the strange custom of having their children wear masks and go out trick or treating in the hope of getting some candy.

An unexplained event of terrifying horror in 1963 however, would change the sleepy little town of Haddonfield forever. Whilst the town would still celebrate the festival of Halloween, Doctor Sam Loomis knew that it was only a matter of time before the shape of terror which formed itself back in 1963 would return. Thus, it is time to unveil a portrait of terror which will haunt you forever.

Halloween: A Portrait of Terror attempts to tell the story of Laurie Strode and her plight for survival against the seemingly unstoppable evil that is Michael Myers, aka "The Shape", over a period of 20 years. The intention is also to try and emphasize the mysterious nature of Michael by holding back any detailed shots of him until well into the first film. The hope is that you will think of Myers more as "The Shape" than ever before. A previously ordinary boy, transformed by something ancient into a pure representation of evil.... a shape of terror. Happy Halloween!

Cutlist:

Too many to mention.... Here's a list of the most obvious ones...
- New pre-credit sequence constructed, incorporating H20 and Halloween to tell the back story of Michael Myers.

- New Title sequence created.

- Many scenes rescored in an attempt to make the transition from Halloween II to H20 less jarring - utilising music from all the "classic series" Halloween films, plus music from a couple of other sources.

- Sound replacement carried out for numerous scenes, including complete sound replacement during the finale of H20 where Laurie drives off with Michael's body, allowing different music to be used.

- Any shots of Michael in Halloween are truncated to make him a more mysterious presence, holding back any detailed shots until the finale begins.

- Halloween II drastically recut to keep the emphasis on Laurie's character, meaning many kill scenes featuring unneccessary characters are removed.

- Colour correction on H20 to try to boost the contrast and take away the softer element which the picture has.

- H20 truncated, again to try and keep the emphasis on Laurie as much as possible.

- New end credits created.

Special Features:

Audio Commentary
Trailer

Technical Details:

16:9 Anamorphic. NTSC Dual Layer DVD.
AC-3 Stereo.
Software used: Adobe Premier Pro CS6, DVD Architect Pro 5.0, HC Encoder, Audacity, PgC Dmux, VirtualDub, Adobe Photoshop CS6, Adobe Audition.

Special Thanks:

Sophie Welch, Nadia Quarcoopome, BionicBob, DwightFry and anyone who followed the "In the Works" thread on this site.
 

LastSurvivor

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
1,680
Reaction score
120
Trophy Points
83
In case you wanted easy access to all the video diaries, including the "art of sound replacement" vid I made... here they are, all in one place ;)





 

TMBTM

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
5,903
Reaction score
5
Trophy Points
83
I did not watch any fanedit since a (too long) time.
But I will watch this one for sure. :)
 

LastSurvivor

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
1,680
Reaction score
120
Trophy Points
83
TMBTM said:
I did not watch any fanedit since a (too long) time.
But I will watch this one for sure. :)

Thanks TMBTM... Hope you have a great time with it. Was a real labour of love this one, so intrigued to see what people think.
 

bionicbob

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
6,954
Reaction score
226
Trophy Points
118
Me soooooo excited!!!!
Congrats on finishing mate.
Last year I showed the original Halloween to my daughter and her friends -- it was awesome listening to them scream at all the classic parts! lol Can't wait to terrorize them with your sequel!:D
 

LastSurvivor

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
1,680
Reaction score
120
Trophy Points
83
bionicbob said:
Me soooooo excited!!!!
Congrats on finishing mate.
Last year I showed the original Halloween to my daughter and her friends -- it was awesome listening to them scream at all the classic parts! lol Can't wait to terrorize them with your sequel!:D

Nice, sounds great Bob! Hope that it all goes well and that they enjoy it... do let me know ;)
 

maniac

Well-known member
Messages
666
Reaction score
1
Trophy Points
21
That sound replacement is a "time spending" job i think.
But a great instruction, maybe i'll do it the future with some projects but for now i use the soundmix with the original.
I can see in that few scenes that this edit is a great job!
 

LastSurvivor

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
1,680
Reaction score
120
Trophy Points
83
maniac51 said:
That sound replacement is a "time spending" job i think.
But a great instruction, maybe i'll do it the future with some projects but for now i use the soundmix with the original.
I can see in that few scenes that this edit is a great job!

Thanks M... It definitely is a time-spending job as you say, but definitely worth it in the long run. I would urge you to take some time on it next time you do an edit which involves using different music. Just putting new music over the top of the original soundmix is distracting if that scene already has music featured in it... honestly, it's worth a bit of time spent on it ;)
 

Neglify

Well-known member
Messages
13,970
Reaction score
10
Trophy Points
123
Review left on IFDB:

Another great LastSurvivor fanedit! As is usual, the editing is flawless and the A/V quality is excellent. Narratively this was very well done. Connecting H1 and H2 was perfectly done and that felt like a natural storyline. I was very impressed with the opening sequence and the segue to H20. The only negative in the narrative is just simply that H20 feels a bit tacked on, it can't help but feel like a separate story. But that didn't really bring things down too much and I enjoyed the hell out of this. I'm sure I'll listen to the commentary track in the next few days, if I remember to I'll update my review.

Highly recommended for Halloween fans!

A/V 10
Editing 10
Narrative 9
Enjoyment 9
 

LastSurvivor

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
1,680
Reaction score
120
Trophy Points
83
Neglify said:
Review left on IFDB:

Another great LastSurvivor fanedit! As is usual, the editing is flawless and the A/V quality is excellent. Narratively this was very well done. Connecting H1 and H2 was perfectly done and that felt like a natural storyline. I was very impressed with the opening sequence and the segue to H20. The only negative in the narrative is just simply that H20 feels a bit tacked on, it can't help but feel like a separate story. But that didn't really bring things down too much and I enjoyed the hell out of this. I'm sure I'll listen to the commentary track in the next few days, if I remember to I'll update my review.

Highly recommended for Halloween fans!

A/V 10
Editing 10
Narrative 9
Enjoyment 9

Hey Neg,

Thanks so much for the review. Really pleased you had a great time with the edit. Yeah, H20 can't help but feel a little tacked on. I tried my best to make it fit as well as possible, but ultimately there's no escaping that it feels like a separate movie.

BTW, anyone who has sent me a PM over the last couple of days, for some reason I can't open them. Sorry for anyone who has been asking for links. Hopefully this will get sorted today.
 

LastSurvivor

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
1,680
Reaction score
120
Trophy Points
83
My continued apologies to anyone who is trying to reach me by sending me a Personal Message. I am still unable to actually open any of my messages due to a technical issue which I'm hoping the admins here can help me with asap.

In the meantime, here's a new bonus trailer which I was inspired to make thanks to the awesome music of VHS Glitch... Happy Halloween folks :)

 

sgp1428

Well-known member
Messages
133
Reaction score
3
Trophy Points
23
Hi LastSurvivor....I was lucky enough to be able to contact you before your Personal Message problems...... With Halloween fast approaching and hopefully the problems mentioned aren't site wide i would be happy to help with any member keen for more information;-).
I could then forward members names to you as and when your PM's are up and running
If this is not to your liking just say and we can wait until your PM is sorted :)
 

LastSurvivor

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
1,680
Reaction score
120
Trophy Points
83
sgp1428 said:
Hi LastSurvivor....I was lucky enough to be able to contact you before your Personal Message problems...... With Halloween fast approaching and hopefully the problems mentioned aren't site wide i would be happy to help with any member keen for more information;-).
I could then forward members names to you as and when your PM's are up and running
If this is not to your liking just say and we can wait until your PM is sorted :)

Hey SGP, that's really kind of you. So, until I get my PM sorted, if you need any help with the edit in terms of links, please do send a PM to Sgp. Hopefully this will just be a short term measure.
 

sgp1428

Well-known member
Messages
133
Reaction score
3
Trophy Points
23
LastSurvivor said:
Hey SGP, that's really kind of you. So, until I get my PM sorted, if you need any help with the edit in terms of links, please do send a PM to Sgp. Hopefully this will just be a short term measure.

No worries.....Happy to help :)

*Edit* - Just received a Halloween - Portrait of Terror related PM with no problems :)
 

LastSurvivor

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
1,680
Reaction score
120
Trophy Points
83
OK folks. Appears that my PM is now working 😀 so please do contact me if you need assistance with this edit. Thanks to SGP for helping me out.

Also, to TMBTM... Thank you for your very kind review. Glad you had such fun with it.
 

LastSurvivor

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
1,680
Reaction score
120
Trophy Points
83
Halloween is here! So excited I can't tell you. Already made pumpkin pie, started decorating the living room for tonight's showing of Halloween A Portrait of Terror (sorry, it's all sold out, so no late comers I'm afraid), and I think my wife is about to make "spooky witches severed fingers" next.

I hope everyone has a safe but frighteningly good night. Happy Halloween everyone :)
 

maniac

Well-known member
Messages
666
Reaction score
1
Trophy Points
21
I saw the Halloween cut thursday, it was great in every way.
I was not so happy with the fact that some some murders are cut in this print, but as a whole it was fantastic.
Also the editing from halloween to halloween II was great, and i can understand that some people think that halloween 20 was a seperate story because you already know that it's footage of halloween 20, no editing how good it al is, can change that.
Music replacement: fantastic all the way.
A great cut for my (horror) collection.

Happy Halloween;-)
 

Kotdm

New member
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
1
I can't wait to watch this tonight, I can already tell its gonna be awesome!
 

thecuddlyninja

Well-known member
Staff member
Faneditor
Messages
1,835
Reaction score
3
Trophy Points
53
So glad you were able to accomplish what you did and get it out last week. I watched this one Halloween night and it was a great viewing experience. Full review left on IFDB but I just wanted to drop in here and thank you for all the work and commend you on the end product.
 

LastSurvivor

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
1,680
Reaction score
120
Trophy Points
83
maniac51 said:
I saw the Halloween cut thursday, it was great in every way.
I was not so happy with the fact that some some murders are cut in this print, but as a whole it was fantastic.
Also the editing from halloween to halloween II was great, and i can understand that some people think that halloween 20 was a seperate story because you already know that it's footage of halloween 20, no editing how good it al is, can change that.
Music replacement: fantastic all the way.
A great cut for my (horror) collection.

Happy Halloween;-)

Hey M... really glad you enjoyed it. The trimming of some of the murder scenes was done purely to hide Michael more, as I wanted the big reveal to be when he literally comes from the dark and attacks Laurie for the first time. That was the intention anyways.

thecuddlyninja said:
So glad you were able to accomplish what you did and get it out last week. I watched this one Halloween night and it was a great viewing experience. Full review left on IFDB but I just wanted to drop in here and thank you for all the work and commend you on the end product.

cuddlyninja, thanks so much for the review. Very kind of you, and thanks for the praise. I'm just glad you guys seem to be digging the edit. Makes all the hard work worthwhile :)

Kotdm said:
I can't wait to watch this tonight, I can already tell its gonna be awesome!

Hope you enjoyed it!
 
Top Bottom