• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief (Documentary)

Has anyone else here also seen the recent Investigation Discovery channel documentary about Marty Rathbun's time in Scientology? It covered his recruitment and membership in more detail than "Going Clear" did, and and shared a few details about Scientology that "Going Clear" missed. It makes for another great companion-piece.

hbenthow said:
Has anyone else here also seen the recent Investigation Discovery channel documentary about Marty Rathbun's time in Scientology? It covered his recruitment and membership in more detail than "Going Clear" did, and and shared a few details about Scientology that "Going Clear" missed. It makes for another great companion-piece.

Yeah I definitely saw that. But I'll say that I really dislike Rathbun, for reasons that are hard to explain. I mean, it's fantastic he was able to escape the cult and has been doing all he can to stick it to Miscavige. But man, that dude is guilty of serious crimes that he hasn't fully taken responsibility for. He was essentially Miscavige's right-hand man for almost 20 years, including during the Lisa McPherson debacle.

Rathbun has written a number of books about his time in Scientology, but I really have no interest in reading them. Instead, I suggest reading Janet Reitman's "Inside Scientology" and Marc Headley's "Blown For Good".

Watched it over three different nights and found it absolutely fascinating.

FYI: The latest episode of BBC Radio4's 'Film Programme' featured a segment interviewing the director about the difficulties of making this doc. Interesting stuff...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05zld8d

Huzzah! "Going Clear" gets 7 Emmy nominations!

Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Special
Outstanding Writing for Nonfiction Programming
Outstanding Directing
for Nonfiction Programming
Outstanding Cinematography for Nonfiction Programming
Outstanding Picture Editing for Nonfiction Programming
Outstanding Sound Editing for Nonfiction Programming
Outstanding Sound Mixing for Nonfiction Programming

I haven't seen a lot of docs in the last few years but this one was the most engrossing I've seen in a long time. All well-deserved nominations.

Hope this shows up on Amazon-Prime UK

TM2YC said:
Hope this shows up on Amazon-Prime UK
Does HBO content show on Amazon sometimes? I was unaware that happened.

I saw this on Youtube before I had HBO access and despite all the crap done to the video and audio to get through the content filters, the wife and I were compelled to watch the whole thing. Very well put together documentary, very informative.

Kirestananderson01 said:
I can do the Netflix disc thing.
get-off-my-lawn.jpg

I was watching some old sketches from genius UK comedy series 'Big Train' (With Simon Pegg) and thought this would probably amuse you Neg...

"Going Clear" will be out on DVD/Blu-Ray on October 6th, and VOD release on October 30.

Whoo-hoo! The Creative Arts Emmys were held yesterday and "Going Clear" won...

Outstanding Directing for Nonfiction Programming

:whoo:

Neglify said:
Whoo-hoo! The Creative Arts Emmys were held yesterday and "Going Clear" won...

Outstanding Directing for Nonfiction Programming

:whoo:

Well-deserved wins! I

I just heard about Leah Remini's new book and 20/20 interview. Let me know if that's off-topic but this seemed like a good place to mention it. I missed the interview but I'm going to try to catch it.

This is as good a thread as any to bring up any current Scn news. I didn't watch the 20/20 episode, but I will soon. And I'll almost certainly get a copy of her book, in due time.

finished watching going clear, finally. the spousal unit found it too unpleasant to watch, so we had a months-long pause. the documentary's well done; gave me the heeb jeebs.

my kids watched part of that 20/20 piece, and they asked, "is scientology a good religion?"

Back
Top Bottom