• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Godzilla : Zilla by white43

Elbarto is turning out to be a great technical reviewer.
he's caught things that I have totally missed and he gives you time code numbers so you can go directly to the trouble spots.
Good show. :-D

elbarto1 said:
as far as I know, the version I saw was the newest one listed on LT.

I dont question your approval Tranzor, I only mentioned your name because I failed to see that you had already approved the AVI version of this edit.

I know you are not questioning that, I was just saying the scenes you mentioned did not have those issues in the version I saw (and if it did I missed it)

elbarto1's review was for v2. It has been heavily changed from the one you approved, tranzor.

Elbarto - if you could fill me in on precisely the errors are - as your timeframes don't seem to add up to mine. Especially 1:16:03

Thanks

White, I didnt bring the DVD w/ me today so I wont be able to clarify the exact times/areas until I get home but I'll give you more details on what I recall. Also, if you have it I watched the DVD at work on my PC w/ VLC media player. The time might sync if you play it in that.

elbarto1 said:
From 6:35 to 6:40 there are no sound effects (other than music) this sounds fine but causes a few errors: the green text saying "golfo de san miguel - panama" has no sound when it appears (as it does elsewhere in the film) and when the general is talking at 6:40 we see his lips say "thats affirmative" but theres no sound of him or the plane flying in.

white43 said:
I wanted it like that - no FX, just the music playing(like the start). But you're right about the 'location' text. I hadn't noticed them.

I figured it was a creative choice and it works well but I suggest removing the last few seconds where the plane flies over the general since its really odd that he is talking and we hear nothing.

elbarto1 said:
There is an odd audio transition at 9:13 (not a hard cut but one that could be smoothed over more IMO)

white43 said:
Need to check.
EDIT: Just checked - nothing I can see, I didn't edit this part - it has Nick removing a piece of flesh from this ship? Or do you mean the first shot of the jeeps. Timing seems to be different.

The first shot of the jeeps. the horns in the score seem to be cut off by a note at the cut point.

elbarto1 said:
The conversation around 43:00 is somewhat confusing - how does Nick know Audrey is a reporter? She mentions "not being off the record" and "lying to him" but none of this happened in your edit.

white43 said:
Hmmm, Nick knows Audrey is a reporter anyway? Inclusion of how Nick knows she really is leads us to a cuddly-wuddly scene :mrgreen:

I understand that you are trying to remove the cuddly shit, but as an audience, we dont know their past relationship anymore since you removed it. so to the viewer they are just "old college friends who went to peace rally's together". A past relationship can be inferred but its never directly shown in this edit. when she says "we werent off the record" and "i lied to you" she is referencing things that didnt happen in your edit and it makes the scene confusing. Suggest trimming down that conversation as well or re-inserting some cuddly backstory.

elbarto1 said:
Hard Audio Transition at 1:16:03

white43 said:
Now, I really need to check that one.
EDIT : You'll need to explain what the transition is as the timing is different

I think that was right after the "newscast" in the garden after nick thanks audrey. the music gets cut off abruptly (IIRC) I'll have to check it at home to be sure.

elbarto1 said:
Audio Quality - 8/10 2.0 Stereo was adequate but 5.1 is always better

white43 said:
It should be 5.1, that's at least what was encoded, unless TMPGENC DVD Author has done something daft.

EDIT: KMPlayer is reporting it as 5.1

Hmm, thats odd. VLC usually gives me the option to select 5.1 and I am pretty sure it wasnt there. :?: Again, I'll check it more thoroughly at home.

I hope my observations are helpful because this is a great edit of a lousy film. :)

killbillme said:
Elbarto is turning out to be a great technical reviewer.
he's caught things that I have totally missed and he gives you time code numbers so you can go directly to the trouble spots.
Good show. :-D

Aww shucks, now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside :smile:

However, despite being a better cut of the film there are are a few problem areas in the technical side:

From 6:35 to 6:40 there are no sound effects (other than music) this sounds fine but causes a few errors: the green text saying "golfo de san miguel - panama" has no sound when it appears (as it does elsewhere in the film) and when the general is talking at 6:40 we see his lips say "thats affirmative" but theres no sound of him or the plane flying in.

Fixed. Now has plane noises and the text has sound too.

There is an odd audio transition at 9:13 (not a hard cut but one that could be smoothed over more IMO)

Not sure I see this, the audio for the next scene begins before the visual begins. But I added in the SFX for the green text again.

Hard cut at 34:38 - Nick is talking to army guy, then army guy is immediately walking w/ media.

Fixed.

The conversation around 43:00 is somewhat confusing - how does Nick know Audrey is a reporter? She mentions "not being off the record" and "lying to him" but none of this happened in your edit.

Changed it so Audrey doesn't say 'Off the record' or that she 'lied to him'.

Hard Audio Transition at 1:16:03

I fixed what I thought it might be. If not, I changed somethin else. :lol:

nOmArch said:
2.1 here we come :smile:
BRING IT!
Joe.JPG

This is actually like V2.4 or something like that :???: :razz:

Elbarto - fill me in on the hard audio when you can and I'll do yet another bloody release of this bloody film :lol:

I am really and truly admiring your spirit here, white43. Spending so much time with a movie like that deserves any respect. You really will make it the best possible version of godzilla ever available.

Thanks Boon.

It's funny the range of emotions you go through.

First you're annoyed someone found something and you hope to prove them wrong as you don't want to have to go back over it again.
Then, you find they're right. D'oh!
But what inevitably happens is that in correcting the mistake or heeding the advice, you create something much better.

Initially, I had a scene with Nick arriving in a plane. I removed all the audio except for the score. Elbarto picked up on that and said it didn't feel right and it was from here I discovered that the central track actually had barely any music. This was easily put back, but retaining the new score. Voila!

white43 said:
It's funny the range of emotions you go through.

First you're annoyed someone found something and you hope to prove them wrong as you don't want to have to go back over it again.
Then, you find they're right. D'oh!

I agree 100% - I was crushed when all the flaws in my Alien4 edit were "revealed" to me but before that experience I really just didnt know what I was doing/looking for.

But what inevitably happens is that in correcting the mistake or heeding the advice, you create something much better.

This is all I hope to achieve in my comments, and I really appreciate and admire your attitude toward (constructive) criticism. Lead by example!

Initially, I had a scene with Nick arriving in a plane. I removed all the audio except for the score. Elbarto picked up on that and said it didn't feel right and it was from here I discovered that the central track actually had barely any music. This was easily put back, but retaining the new score. Voila!

awesome, I am glad you could keep it because that scene w/ the new score was really something special - almost Indiana Jones'y in tone

oh, and I will definitely get back to you with more accurate time info about that last audio "hard cut" when I get home (in about 5 hrs). But it could just be my ears or VLC media player. I am just trying to help point out things that may have been missed which can easily happen when you are editing in so deep you cant see the forest for the trees.

Again your attitude and drive is very admirable and your edit(s) will only stand to gain from your passion displayed here! *salutes white43* :)

Elbarto - I'm fairly sure the last bit you're talking about it when Nick thanks Audrey for the interview and then the cut goes to Roache and the score kinda slides into downward flat. It's kinda like this originally in the film, but I've changed that now, so there's no score, instead, growling and snapping Baby Zillas, like in the next scene.....it's a bit more frightening I guess....but it covers the transition.

I think that sounds right.

Nick says "thank you" to audrey for her nice on air comments about him being right and the music is quiet and peaceful (and theres a few more seconds of cuddly shit you removed) and then out of nowhere the next cut has "danger" music already playing and the transition felt jarring.

Of course, I need to actually check it to be 100% sure but I think thats what I was referring to.

Ok at home the DVD is decoded as 5.1 so I will alter my score in light of my error - sorry :oops: and I'll be sure to not use VLC as my "review player" in the future.

on my home DVD player the "hard audio cut" appears at 1:18:38 and sounds like it could be smoothed over with a simple crossfade (if you havent addressed it already).

hope that clears it all up!

The cuts you made were good but at the end of the day I still hate the film :grin: .

My review.

This was a good edit. I never had any real problem with the original, theatrical version of the film; although that being said, I haven't watched it for a while, and watching this version did make me remember things that irritated me about the original.

As far as the story goes, I thought it was brilliantly done. The film now has a different tone which I'm gonna compare to the likes of Cloverfield, even though in my opinion Cloverfield is a far, far finer example of a monster movie (Cloverfield is among my favourite films). The movie is much more action packed and exciting, as opposed to the original, where there was a whole bunch of scenes halfway through that just stopped the film dead in its tracks. This I think is one of the biggest flaws of the theatrical film; the human characters were much less interesting than Zilla himself, and even less so when we have to put up with them for twenty minutes at a time in between one of Zilla's midcity romps.

The start was well paced, with Zilla making his intro just ten minutes in. Good choice here. The movie is quick and to the point. As we get further along, it almost felt like the whole "search for the eggs" subplot was the main story arc - which isn't necessarily a bad thing, although I do prefer to see a giant monster smashing up a city to its hearts desire. But to me, Zilla in this version had more of a goal than he did in the original, which was simply ephasised by, again, the notable fewer scenes involving the human characters.

I liked how you reduced Audrey's character, and I also liked how you introduced her as a minor character and then brought her forward to be a much more major character. That was nicely done. Oh, and good job of reducing the news reporter, the mayor and the mayor's assistant - the smaller their roles were, the easier it was for the movie to flow.

The action scenes worked better for me in this more tightly knit version of the film, so bravo on the pacing and plot.

However, having given you this praise, I do feel a desire to point out a few things I had problems with... The audio frustrated me. There were many, many hard audio cuts that I noticed, where I felt a less subtle fade would have been more appropriate. Examples of this are after we have the shot of the bridge during the evacuation, we instantly cut to a shot of the mayor's helicopter, and the audio is a slow "euphoric" (for want of a better word) melody in one shot and then in the next is more of a "military" trumpet tune. Sorry, I'm terrible at describing music cues, but my point is it just happened too suddenly for my liking - and I was disappointed to find that there were several more as the movie progressed. However, this may also be due to the fact that I'm actually a perfectionist, so don't get too worked up about it

Nevertheless, I praise you for making this somewhat dragging monster film into a real, high-paced action flick, that actually had a monster in it. As soon as I get unlimited broadband, I'll download the DVD and add it to my shelf; I think this one is one that deserves to replace the original. For the brilliantly laid out storyline, albeit with a few technical issues I had problems with, I give this edit seven stars out of ten.

Thanks for the kind review Joelio.

This concerns me:

There were many, many hard audio cuts that I noticed

I hadn't noted any and it hasn't been mentioned by anyone else either.... :-(

Mind you, this was my first project, so perhaps there is some shite cuts still in there..... :p

white43 said:
Thanks for the kind review Joelio.

This concerns me:

There were many, many hard audio cuts that I noticed

I hadn't noted any and it hasn't been mentioned by anyone else either.... :-(

Mind you, this was my first project, so perhaps there is some shite cuts still in there..... :p

Well like I said, I'm an intense, OTT perfectionist; I spent about four months making sure that EVERY SINGLE audio transition in my Spider-Man edit was completely invisible. Things like making sure the music flowed between itself etc. It could just be that I'm too perfectionist for my own good :D

Like I said, though, I loved how you edited down the story. Really, really well done. Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention was that ending with Zilla's eyes closing both worked and didn't work; but I'm leaning more towards the working side. It didn't give the story a very rounded conclusion, but it DID make the movie more about Zilla than the characters, which, in the end, is what the edit did on all sides. It suited the way you had trimmed the characters.

Nice job.

Back
Top Bottom