• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Fun With TTRPGs: D&D, Pathfinder, Etc.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Do we have any TTRPG players here? I've played some D&D and really enjoy it. I love the D&D movie a ton, I've seen it a few times now and it's a wonderful interpretation of the kinds of adventures a group might have playing one of these games. I started getting interested from the D&D episodes of Community and later got into watching HarmonQuest which is the same creator and plays out similarly. Then I really wanted to play, and a coworker bought the source books of the new-at-the-time 5e and got my wife (who worked with us at the time) and other coworkers to try to play. But it didn't go well, none of us knew what we were doing, everything took forever, nobody had fun. Fast forward several years. Eventually a different coworker at a different company asked, he was getting a group together so he could DM. I had a blast in those sessions. Now I feel like I know "what to do" so to speak. And frankly it makes my mind race with different possibilities. It's wonderful.

Right now I'm trying to come up with my own simplified system to run a short game in the world of Futurama. I'm calling it "Destroy Planet Express!" where you play as characters in a competing delivery company. I'm working out the player creation currently, and how best to encourage/get characters into funny situations that will naturally play out like jokes with a long setup and later punchline.

What are your favorite TTRPG games, or your favorite memories playing one, or if you haven't played and are interested, what kinds of things would you want to know?

Who knows, maybe we can get a long distance session with forum members if the logistics worked out (ie, if there were enough people into it with similar schedules)

I used to be in a great TTRPG group. It comprised of my older sibling and their friends, I joined later on. When I joined, we started a game using the setting of Shadowrun, but adapted to fit the much simpler Fate system. We later on played D&D, again adapting it to the Fate system. No idea how popular it is, but Fate is awesome as a simple, universal RPG system.
In the past I've played some proper D&D with my dad growing up, great times.

There's this podcast I've fallen in love with called Very Random Encounters, in which each season they pick a different TTRPG and procceed to randomize every aspect of their characters as well as anything else that can be randomized, and then just try to make it all work. Their campaign of the old Marvel Super Heroes game is my favorite. Would reccommend, if anyone's into that kinda thing.

I was introduced to D&D second edition in college, but it was already outdated back then. our DM new this edition so we played this one for some years. the group disbanded but I got reconnected to D&D during the pandemic and started playing 5e online. that lasted for another 2 years. Now I'm occasionnaly playing 5e with neighbors but making schedules work is hard...
There's this podcast I've fallen in love with called Very Random Encounters, in which each season they pick a different TTRPG and procceed to randomize every aspect of their characters as well as anything else that can be randomized, and then just try to make it all work. Their campaign of the old Marvel Super Heroes game is my favorite. Would reccommend, if anyone's into that kinda thing.
I'm not an avid listener but I did find this particular campaign interesting. I think the first episode character creation was one of their best! its also great for discovering other ttrpg.

I'm currently playing Baldur's Gate 3 and think they did a terrific job at adapting the 5e rules to the video game. Sadly it cuts back on my fanedit time...

Right now I'm trying to come up with my own simplified system to run a short game in the world of Futurama. I'm calling it "Destroy Planet Express!" where you play as characters in a competing delivery company. I'm working out the player creation currently, and how best to encourage/get characters into funny situations that will naturally play out like jokes with a long setup and later punchline.
I'm also a big fan of Futurama. I know they did a Rick and Morty TTRPG but never played. maybe it would be interesting to look at that one and modify the theme from R&M to Futurama? just saying!

I'm also a big fan of Futurama. I know they did a Rick and Morty TTRPG but never played. maybe it would be interesting to look at that one and modify the theme from R&M to Futurama? just saying!
Yeah there actually is an official Futurama one too, and I read the book for it but it is hard to describe how it doesn't do what I want. It's like too complex in areas I want simple and too bare where I want content. I have an idea in my head I think would be really cool for a player that I'm kind of obsessing over. I'll get there sooner than later, whether it's any good is another matter, I have a friend with no TTRPG experience I'm considering trying a short solo run with when I have it all together.

One thing that's kind of funny, I used Chat GPT to generate some ideas for like planets and plots, and unsurprisingly, they were awful. But seeing the awful ones inspired me to write a lot of better ones.

I will check out the Rick and Morty one if I can and see how they have things set up, that's a great suggestion.

I used to be in a great TTRPG group. It comprised of my older sibling and their friends, I joined later on. When I joined, we started a game using the setting of Shadowrun, but adapted to fit the much simpler Fate system. We later on played D&D, again adapting it to the Fate system. No idea how popular it is, but Fate is awesome as a simple, universal RPG system.
In the past I've played some proper D&D with my dad growing up, great times.

Awesome experiences, thank you for sharing. I'll look into Fate too. Simple is good.

And that podcast sounds excellent, I want to get into consuming more campaigns.

Yeah there actually is an official Futurama one too, and I read the book for it but it is hard to describe how it doesn't do what I want. It's like too complex in areas I want simple and too bare where I want content. I have an idea in my head I think would be really cool for a player that I'm kind of obsessing over. I'll get there sooner than later, whether it's any good is another matter, I have a friend with no TTRPG experience I'm considering trying a short solo run with when I have it all together.

One thing that's kind of funny, I used Chat GPT to generate some ideas for like planets and plots, and unsurprisingly, they were awful. But seeing the awful ones inspired me to write a lot of better ones.

I will check out the Rick and Morty one if I can and see how they have things set up, that's a great suggestion.
Didn't know about the Futurama ttrpg, guest I'm not as huge a fan as I thought 🤔. Let us know how it turns out with your project. It sounds cool!

I think I just had one of my busiest TTRPG weeks.

On Sunday, I was told about, was asked to join, made a character for and played in an online 5e game run by one of my best friends whom I've known and played TTRPGs with for a bit over 4 years. Monday, I ran an in-person 5e oneshot with 2 of my friends so that one of them who's never played before could get the basics down before I ran a full campaign for them. Tuesday was the first session of that campaign, with one extra player who couldn't make it to the oneshot the night before. The next day was session 2 of that game, because one of our players won't be in the state for much longer and we wanted all the time we could get to play in-person. Thursday, I got to chill out and play the online Pathfinder 2e game ran by someone I met not too long ago.

5 back-to-back RPG nights. My brain hurts and my sleep is royally flipped upside down, but I won't say it wasn't fun.

I've been playing RPGs for years, started with The Eye of Yrrhedes, Warhammer, Mechwarrior, Witcher: Game of Imagination (my favourite one to this day) and Legend of the Five Rings, (always hated D&D though), almost always being a GM. This was my main hobby from 1995 to 2006. Great times.

Back
Top Bottom