• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Fully authored Blu-ray discs vs MP4/MKV that can be burned to disc

Which HD format do you prefer?

• Fully authored Blu-ray

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • MP4/MKV to burn to disc

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Either one is fine

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For those of you who know me, you know that I always like to provide a fully-authored disc for a fan edit release. In fact, Silent Hill: Homecoming is the first release where I've done a standalone video file before a disc release.

The problem I've been having is that DVD Architect is that after several attempts at making a disc, I can't get an audio format that it doesn't need to recompress, let alone one that actually has audio on it when I produce the image and burn it to disc or test it on my laptop. This is, as you can imagine, becoming mighty frustrating as export times are lengthy and even small tests are proving unhelpful.

So, my question to you, the community: what would the general feeling about an MP4 release that, encoded with a high bitrate, was a bit bigger than usual, but also looked damn nice when burned onto a disc? This may very well be an act of desperation and exacerbation, but I figured I'd ask anyways.

i know many here like DVDs, but i'd rather have a high quality mp4. extras can also be mp4s (or JPGs. . . covers and whatnot) sitting in the same folder. alternative: extras can be tacked on to the end of the movie mp4.

My guide might be of help for working with DVD Architect for BD authoring. Though most of the issues I address relate more to video recompress issues. With audio, if you use the dolby digital pro codec within Vegas, you theoretically shouldn't have any problems... unless maybe you have a funky setting. If you want to post a screenshot of your audio rendering settings, we could take a look.

Oh, also, the BD menu audio needs to be stereo. Can't be 5.1.

I voted for MP4 since I don't use discs, and prefer digital formats, since I watch most things on my iPad these days.

Back
Top Bottom