• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Full Length, Live Action Toy Story

But in the end, does it really matter, Gaith? They had fun. That's the important thing. And no one's forcing anyone else to watch it.

Also, there weren't just kids involved in this, clearly. I don't know any kid who can use editing software like that, or do impressive overhead shots, or drive the trucks that the toys rode on, or organize the street to get blocked off so that filming can be done in the middle of it. The puppetry might not be much, but a lot did go into this production.

When I was a kid, I organized one 5-minute puppet show with my friends. And even that didn't go very well. So kudos to them for pulling all this together.

The fact that it's become something of an Internet sensation is just kind of gravy for them. And in two weeks, everyone will have forgotten about it when someone posts their pet koala bear riding on top of the family dog like a cowboy. So don't worry about it too much. :)

transformers_facepalm.jpg

Only at FE.

I entirely agree, and if they had fun making it, terrific. I'm really trying not to be negative. (Though I do shudder to think of how long it must have taken to edit all the footage - fan editing is so much easier than regular editing.)

If they were my kids, I'd have encouraged them to do try short and totally original rather than something quite long and totally derivative, but they aren't, and it's none of my business... Now, where're those dog-riding koalas? 'Cause that I want to see. :-D

TomH1138 said:
But in the end, does it really matter, Gaith? They had fun. That's the important thing. And no one's forcing anyone else to watch it.

Also, there weren't just kids involved in this, clearly. I don't know any kid who can use editing software like that, or do impressive overhead shots, or drive the trucks that the toys rode on, or organize the street to get blocked off so that filming can be done in the middle of it. The puppetry might not be much, but a lot did go into this production.

When I was a kid, I organized one 5-minute puppet show with my friends. And even that didn't go very well. So kudos to them for pulling all this together.

The fact that it's become something of an Internet sensation is just kind of gravy for them. And in two weeks, everyone will have forgotten about it when someone posts their pet koala bear riding on top of the family dog like a cowboy. So don't worry about it too much. :)

If you reduce everything to 'They had fun making it' then what is the point of critique?

If adults were involved then I am less impressed as it implies all the inventiveness on the kids part was resolved with hard cash instead of hard graft.

Sorry to seem so down on it, I think it's a great technical achievement but nothing more.

nOmArch said:
If you reduce everything to 'They had fun making it' then what is the point of critique?

You seriously don't see any difference between a cute little home movie and something that a big Hollywood studio makes for lots of money?

Gosh, I'm never gonna let you see my 10-year-old nephew's drawing of Darth Maul. LOL!

Bah humbug!

But really, adult involvement is less impressive? They had school busses being driven over toys and simulated a traffic jam with 15+ cars. I hope adults were involved, kids shouldn't be driving school buses, nor filming toys underneath them without supervision.

Clearly adults were involved, and what awesome adults/parents they were. And I wouldn't be surprised at kids being involved with the editing process in some manner, I've seen many FCP/AE and other very useful tutorials on youtube that were done by kids who's voices still hadn't cracked yet.

As someone who made live-action/stop-action films on super8 as a kid with my best friend, as a parent, and someone who simply enjoys seeing kids try to make something creative, ambitious and positive I love this video x a billion. The love, care, passion and attention to detail of this was inspiring and humbling.

For those who look at it and go 'meh'.. I just feel really sad for you.

Gaith said:
If they were my kids, I'd have encouraged them to do try short and totally original rather than something quite long and totally derivative

To be fair, copying shot-by-shot scenes that you love or that are considered the greatest in film history, is a great exercise for learning filmmaking. By doing that, you get a deep understanding of what makes the originals work, what makes them so great, and how can you apply that to your footage first, and then to your future works.

We all learn by copying: if we like to draw, we'll copy the art in our favorite comic books. If it's playing an instrument, we'll practice using music we like. And if it's filmmaking, we'll take advantage of what we like to see on screen. It's likely that everyone involved in this remake learnt a lot more about filmmaking than if they had just made an original short. For starters, they had to adjust to a given narrative flow, which helps to avoid the awkward pauses so frequent in amateur movies.

As someone who isn't a parent and has no desire for kids or interest in other peoples kids I'm really not the demographic for it anyway.

I'm not knocking it, I said it's technical and clever I just don't find it at all interesting and have no desire to watch it.

Back
Top Bottom