• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Fringe

Thought first episode of this season was really good.

just started watching the first season. have to say that the show is really good and the writing on it is awesome. plus who can't like the character of Walter with his complete randomness.

Wait until you get to season 2 and 3. Each season gets better.

I actually think the third season might be the best yet. There's less excitement than in the build-up to the crazy second season finale, but 3x04 was poignant in ways the show had never been and 3x09 was completely insane.

thunderclap said:
Wait until you get to season 2 and 3. Each season gets better.

True dat. So wait for inevitable cancellation. :x

LOST never got cancelled and that was really crazy. So there's some hope for this.

I just finished episode 16 of S1. I have to say the more I'm finding out about Walter's previous involvement with
Olivia, the more I'm not liking his character as much. I understand he may try and atone for his mistakes. But still that was a low blow to find out that he helped Belly experiment on young Olivia.

Re: your spoiler. I will only say one thing: Walter's past will be addressed in greater detail later on. (And I can promise you that plotline's greatness.)

EDIT: Lost was in a whole different situation. It had way over 20 million viewers in the US alone in early season 2, numbers Fringe will never see. But during the weirder season two bits, and the directionless early season three bits, the numbers slid past the 12 million mark and it could have been cancelled. But when the end point was negotiated, and with the crazy and brilliant season three ending, it basically saved the show, and the show would never live in fear of being cancelled even as the ratings fell beneath the 10 million mark in season 5 and 6 after the time-travelling weirdness. But even during the end of season five, people felt they knew what Lost was about. Fringe just never get talked about as much as Lost, that's its main problem. People don't know what it's about. You need that nowadays. Lost went beyond a one-sentence explanation, but you could reasonably explain what it was about in one sentence. I fear that the Fringe premise is just too vague for most people.

And it's back on, with another great episode. I love this show so much.

I loved the Twin Peaks reference. Walter put on the blue and red glasses and mentioned his friend Dr. Jacoby in Washington came up with the procedure. Dr. Jacoby was Laura Palmer's psychologist who wore those same glasses, and Twin Peaks was in Washington. :)

Yes! That made me laugh out loud. Of course Walter knows Dr. Laurence Jacoby - makes perfect sense. :)

So... Did anyone watch the finale? I love how each season finale completely pulls the rug on any expectations we might have had.

First season with Olivia going Over There to meet Bell (even with Nina's warning, I did NOT see that one coming). The second season with Peter deciding who he wants as his father, the machine, meeting the other Fringe team, and Walternate as the "villain". And now: consciousness time travel (how Lost-ian!), Peter opening a wormhole to merge universes - before disappearing, only to never have existed at all? This is on a whole new level of WTF. I love it.

Network TV-related thoughts about what to expect from season four:
- Joshua Jackson will return. He must. Dislodged in time, maybe, but this isn't cable where you can kill off a well-liked character without warning. He will return as long as he's a big draw. And besides: Torv and Noble can't carry the show on their own. Peter is the anchor.
- Brad Dourif's guest star turn didn't seem nearly big enough for a one-episode appearance with very few lines. I think his appearance is a clue in itself that we'll see a lot more 2026 in the next season, including what happened in Detroit (where Broyles presumable lost his eye). But I've been wrong before. And there was Jorge Garcia 1 scene appearance, and maybe Dourif is small fish in Hollywood now and will accept a one-episode minor part (collaborating with Werner Herzog probably doesn't pay as well as guest starring on Fox shows).

Also, I'm extremely pleasantly surprised that there will be a season four. I didn't know Fox had it in them.

theslime said:
And there was Jorge Garcia 1 scene appearance...

In what scene? I completely missed him!

theslime said:
Also, I'm extremely pleasantly surprised that there will be a season four. I didn't know Fox had it in them.

I believe they've been renewed for two more seasons. :)

Not in this episode, Jorgia Garcia was in episode 3x16. He's the Massive Dynamic security guard Walter chats with. For one short scene only, probably filmed during a break in the filming of fellow Bad Robot/J.J. show Alcatraz. (Speaking of which, Alcatraz was just picked up for a full season by Fox. Elizabeth Sarnoff (exec on Lost) is showrunning.)

I think four seasons of Fringe would be perfect, but I wouldn't object to five, if done right. And with "right", I mean WITH A PROPER ENDING. Fringe needs one, it's not a soap opera.

theslime said:
I think four seasons of Fringe would be perfect, but I wouldn't object to five, if done right. And with "right", I mean WITH A PROPER ENDING. Fringe needs one, it's not a soap opera.

While they haven't come out and confirmed the show will end after season five, the producers have insinuated as such. They mentioned they. Are happy they know how many seasons they have left so they can outline accordingly. I think if they have a definite end date like they did on Lost they can focus the story and not have as many one shot episodes.

Fringe was one of my favorite shows and, sadly, it ended last night. When it first aired five years ago I wasn't sure about it. I even stopped watching after the first four episodes, but after a push from a friend to give it a few more episodes I became hooked.

Did anyone else here watch the finale? What are your thoughts? For me it was a very poetic episode, one that really focused on the father/son relationship that has been an element throughout. It was nice to see a lot of throwbacks to older episodes (the biological concoction Walter made was brilliant), and the final confrontation was well executed.

I did expect something a little bigger than Windmark being smashed between two cars what with Olivia harnessing the power of the entire city. But was that the point of the episode? No... it was all about resetting time with Walter's sacrifice.

The only paradoxical and confusing thing for me was Walter's story in the past. If he went into the future and reset time so the Strangers never came, what happened to his character in the past? We know he existed because Peter got the white rose from him. But, if memory serves, didn't Walter mail that in the future? Or did Walter never exist in the reset timeline, exist as Peter's father I mean?

While not all questions were answered it was still a worthy conclusion to a terrific sci-fi show. And do we really need all questions answered? Personally, I don't think so. I prefer some ambiguity. I hate neat little bows.

So what are your thoughts?

hey Q2, do you mean it finally ended from Science Channel ?
i'd been watching a lot of Dark Matters on that channel and their bombardment of ads for Fringe finally got in my head.
i've been renting them from our video store and really enjoy it.
if it's over, i like that they got a chance to do a wrap up episode. i think every tv show should work into their budget enough funding to do a wrap up episode. so on that inevitable day when they get on the cut list, they can produce one more to satisfy fans and NOT END ON A CLIFFHANGER.
(i hate production studios. they care nothing for the people. only for advertisers.)

No cliffhanger. It ended with closure.

I loved the ending. The last season's best stuff IMHO is the weaponization of Fringe events, especially in the finale! Those baddies messed with the wrong era. :)

Back
Top Bottom