• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Friday the 13th Part V: Jason's Legacy by Last Survivor **View on Vimeo**

I watched this a little earlier tonight. I'm afraid to say that I didn't enjoy it. On a technical level it's perfect. However, I'm a huge Friday The 13th fan and part 5 is one of my favorites. I've probably seen it as many times as some of you have seen Star Wars. :lol: And because of that I could easily spot when something was missing. Also, you completely, just about, cut out two of my favorite characters in the entire franchise, Ethel and Junior. So a lot of the fun of the film was taken out right there. I did appreciate you taking out the two greasers though. I never understood why they were even introduced. Aside from having two more kills in the film and giving Roy another reason to show up.

I do have some questions/comments though.

- Why leave in Tommy's dream sequence at the beginning of the film? The characters that are introduced are there solely to be killed off immediately. I thought you were trying to get rid of those type of characters. Why not just start the movie with the title sequence?

- Why did you use the Friday The 13th font for the words "Friday The 13th" and then switch to a regular font for the rest of the title? And why have the words "Jason's Legacy" in red instead of white like the rest of the opening credits?

- Why did you cut the Tommy/Reggie scene short? I know you cut out the following scene, but why not cut just before the sirens start? Or at least let Reggie look awestruck when Tommy tells him that he did make those masks and reply with "Solid!". Not letting Reggie reply with "Solid!" made the cut even more noticeable to me.

- Why did you cut out Ethel and Junior? They're just about the best thing in the movie. Sure, they're not residents or employees of the halfway house, but they are major characters. And they get good death scenes, especially Junior. Cutting them out also makes Junior's appearance at the trailer park seem out of place.

- You can tell that the sex scene has been trimmed. But given that you cut out Ethel and Junior, and therefore the red herring, I can understand the need to trim it.

- I wish that you had left in Demon and Anita's death scene. But they were only introduced to be killed off so again, I can understand why you cut them.

I can definitely recommend the edit on a technical level, but I'm afraid you cut out too many parts that I liked for me to be able to recommend it on an entertainment level. No hard feelings though. I really did want to enjoy it.

Frantic Canadian said:
I watched this a little earlier tonight. I'm afraid to say that I didn't enjoy it. On a technical level it's perfect. However, I'm a huge Friday The 13th fan and part 5 is one of my favorites. I've probably seen it as many times as some of you have seen Star Wars. :lol: And because of that I could easily spot when something was missing. Also, you completely, just about, cut out two of my favorite characters in the entire franchise, Ethel and Junior. So a lot of the fun of the film was taken out right there. I did appreciate you taking out the two greasers though. I never understood why they were even introduced. Aside from having two more kills in the film and giving Roy another reason to show up.

I can definitely recommend the edit on a technical level, but I'm afraid you cut out too many parts that I liked for me to be able to recommend it on an entertainment level. No hard feelings though. I really did want to enjoy it.

Hey FC.... thanks for the taking the time to view the edit and I'm sorry you didn't have more fun with it. However, it's intriguing to see someone's opinion on the edit who genuinely loves the original the way it is. I did think I might if not upset some of the fans of Part V, but certainly make this version less enjoyable. I'll reply to your questions as best I can ;) ....

- Why leave in Tommy's dream sequence at the beginning of the film? The characters that are introduced are there solely to be killed off immediately. I thought you were trying to get rid of those type of characters. Why not just start the movie with the title sequence?

To be blunt, I love the dream sequence at the start of the film. I think it's really well directed and nicely edited, plus we get to see Corey Feldman not to mention that it just sets up the whole film nicely once Tommy wakes up and we go into the credits. You're right about the two jokers who dig up Jason's grave not mattering, but hey, Tommy is having the dream and he definitely does matter.

- Why did you use the Friday The 13th font for the words "Friday The 13th" and then switch to a regular font for the rest of the title? And why have the words "Jason's Legacy" in red instead of white like the rest of the opening credits?

I switched to a regular font as that's exactly what the original titles do, plus they have the "A New Beginning" in red as well - so that's the reason why to be honest.

- Why did you cut the Tommy/Reggie scene short? I know you cut out the following scene, but why not cut just before the sirens start? Or at least let Reggie look awestruck when Tommy tells him that he did make those masks and reply with "Solid!". Not letting Reggie reply with "Solid!" made the cut even more noticeable to me.

Just a personal choice with not feeling any more of the scene is necessary, plus I've trimmed bits of dialogue here and there to try and make the script less cheesey I suppose.

- Why did you cut out Ethel and Junior? They're just about the best thing in the movie. Sure, they're not residents or employees of the halfway house, but they are major characters. And they get good death scenes, especially Junior. Cutting them out also makes Junior's appearance at the trailer park seem out of place.

I knew this would cause a few Part V fans to scream and holler. In trying to maintain the feeling from Part IV, I felt the Ethel and Junior character are purely there for comic value and honestly do little else. I admit that Junior's appearance at the trailer park does then mean less, but I felt it was important to see Tommy's rage growing so I kept that in, hoping that people would just think Junior was a dead beat who just didn't like the fact that there's this halfway house with all these "loonies" around, as he calls them. I admit however that it's the most obvious point of the edit which stands out.

- You can tell that the sex scene has been trimmed. But given that you cut out Ethel and Junior, and therefore the red herring, I can understand the need to trim it.

Yep, the trimming of that scene is purely due to the vagrant or red herring as you put it. Nothing more, nothing less.

- I wish that you had left in Demon and Anita's death scene. But they were only introduced to be killed off so again, I can understand why you cut them.

Yep, they're not bad death scenes at all, but I just wanted to centre the focus on Tommy as much as possible so by this time I wanted to move things on.

So, I totally get where your coming from, but basically I would say that for all the scenes you miss you always have the theatrical version of Part V to watch. I wanted to try as hard as possible to be ruthless with this edit and literally "in my eyes" rescue as much of the film as I could in terms of it feeling more like a serious slasher movie. I appreciate however that if you love Part V for its sleazy, camp feel, this perhaps is not the edit for you.

Btw, huge thanks to Neglify and Dustin6595 for their kind review on the edit on IFDB. Glad you had fun with it.

As a side note, I can let you know that I've recorded an audio commentary for the edit the other day. So, a DVD release is likely for those who are interested ;)

Yay commentary!

LastSurvivor said:
I switched to a regular font as that's exactly what the original titles do, plus they have the "A New Beginning" in red as well - so that's the reason why to be honest.

They also go from the "Friday The 13th" title card straight to the "A New Beginning" title card. You added in the "Part V" title card between the two, and you had it in white. Maybe that's why it seemed strange to me.

LastSurvivor said:
I knew this would cause a few Part V fans to scream and holler. In trying to maintain the feeling from Part IV, I felt the Ethel and Junior character are purely there for comic value and honestly do little else. I admit that Junior's appearance at the trailer park does then mean less, but I felt it was important to see Tommy's rage growing so I kept that in, hoping that people would just think Junior was a dead beat who just didn't like the fact that there's this halfway house with all these "loonies" around, as he calls them. I admit however that it's the most obvious point of the edit which stands out.

Okay, I get what you were going for. And in that case cutting out Ethel and Junior does make sense. I think Junior's appearance at the trailer park later only seems out of place to me because I'm so familiar with the film. To the casual viewer, however, he could come across as just some random dead beat.

LastSurvivor said:
Yep, the trimming of that scene is purely due to the vagrant or red herring as you put it. Nothing more, nothing less.

A red herring is a character that's introduced in a film or novel purely to mislead you into thinking that he/she is the killer. Forgive me if that came across as condescending. Your comment made it seem like you were unfamiliar with the term and I just wanted to clarify why I used the term.

LastSurvivor said:
So, I totally get where your coming from, but basically I would say that for all the scenes you miss you always have the theatrical version of Part V to watch. I wanted to try as hard as possible to be ruthless with this edit and literally "in my eyes" rescue as much of the film as I could in terms of it feeling more like a serious slasher movie. I appreciate however that if you love Part V for its sleazy, camp feel, this perhaps is not the edit for you.

Personally if I were to edit this film the only things I would cut would be the dream sequence at the beginning, the two greasers and the aftermath of their death with the Sheriff and Roy, and the scene with the Sheriff and the mayor. You were going for a more drastic edit and I can respect that. Not every edit is for everybody. I appreciate the fact that you edited it though. I'm always interested in any Friday The 13th edit as it's my favorite franchise. If you've got an .mp3 version of the commentary you recorded shoot me a PM with a download link, I'd love to hear it.

Frantic Canadian said:
Personally if I were to edit this film the only things I would cut would be the dream sequence at the beginning, the two greasers and the aftermath of their death with the Sheriff and Roy, and the scene with the Sheriff and the mayor. You were going for a more drastic edit and I can respect that. Not every edit is for everybody. I appreciate the fact that you edited it though. I'm always interested in any Friday The 13th edit as it's my favorite franchise. If you've got an .mp3 version of the commentary you recorded shoot me a PM with a download link, I'd love to hear it.

I am much the same as you FC, in that I'm interested in any Friday the 13th edit and certainly if you ever did a version of A Ne Beginning along the lines you have mentioned, I would watch it in a heartbeat. As I've mentioned in the commentary, it too is probably my favourite franchise even if I'm not too sure as to why - by that I simply mean each film is basically the same film slightly interpreted in a different visual style. My addiction to these films continues to fascinate me ;)

I'll upload a mp3 of the commentary for those who don't want to download the DVD file... will PM you when I have more news. Thanks for your comments :)

I will check this out tonight, hopefully this scene is in it

Another thing the edit has going for it is how the movie goes by much faster. If you were ever in the mood for a fun horror film with less time on your hands.

I was wondering, since one of the biggest complaints about A New Beginning is the fake Jason, has there ever been talk of an edit where it really was Jason?

aurllcooljay said:
I was wondering, since one of the biggest complaints about A New Beginning is the fake Jason, has there ever been talk of an edit where it really was Jason?

No idea, but this thread is about just the one edit in particular. Rather than drag the thread off-topic, please use the forum search or go to ifdb and search there. You'll either find something or you won't, and your question will be answered.

Thanks for the suggestion, Addiesin. I had forgotten about searching the forums for discussions.

My heartfelt thanks to youngy94 for leaving the first review in over a year on this little edit I did way back.  Really glad you enjoyed it and I really appreciate you taking the time to write a review.  

LS

Back
Top Bottom