• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Flux Capacitor...Fluxing! A BTTF Trilogy edit.

Phase3

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Hello all,

The three Back To The Future films are amongst my most favourite films; I have made an edit combining all three films into one big adventure! To achieve this, I have done the following:

1. Relocated the end credits for Parts 1 & 2.
  2. Removed the opening credits for Parts 2 & 3.
  3. Removed the footage from Part 3 shown as a preview at the end of Part 2, as well as the “To Be Concluded” text.
  4. Adjusted the colours in each film.
  5. I’ve removed the yellow tint present on Blu-ray versions of Part III.
  6. There are also subtitles for each film, sourced from an official Blu-ray release, which were edited to match the timing of the fan edit. In some instances I have made a few adjustments to the subtitles, to more accurately match the tone of the scene, or the emotion being expressed by the actor, as well as correcting spelling, grammar and punctuation in a few places. In some parts I’ve added in subtitles that the actors spoke, but were erroneously left out of the original subtitle files. There were also some instances of subtitles being completely different to what the actors said, so I’ve corrected that too.
  7. I’ve removed the repeated scene of the DeLorean being sent from 1955 back to 1985 at the end of Part 2, which we already saw at the end of Part 1. The scene now goes from Marty finishing talking to the Western Union representative, to Doc walking down the street after the DeLorean successfully made the trip forward in time to 1985.
  8. End of the abovementioned scene: I’ve used AI software to remove the music at the end, and added in the sound of the approaching storm from the beginning of Part 3. This scene now goes to the beginning of Part 3, albeit minus the opening credits.
  9. Also at the end of Part II, I had to remove the last part of Marty’s dialogue, where he says “Oh perfect…Just perfect”, as I was unable to get a clear enough section of audio to use. I tried relocating audio from Part I, where Marty says the exact same line, however it didn’t sound quite right, and didn’t match the tone of the scene at the end of part II.
  10. End credits for each film are there in full; I added title cards for each film (“Credits for Part 1”, “Credits for Part 2” etc.). I sped-up the end credits, so that they last two minutes each.
  11. Music for the end credits: “Back In Time” plays in full, as does the end credits music track from the end of Part 1.
  12. Added a “Fan Edit by Phase3” title card to the end credits.

The edit has been completed, and is being rendered today. I hope to submit the edit for review very soon!
If anyone would like to see it, please send me a PM!

Last edited:
You are an approved faneditor, my friend. You are no longer required to submit your edits for review. You merely submit them. 😁

Ahh cool! I really couldn't recall if I could do that or not haha! Thank you! :D(y)

This is really great to have the whole trilogy as one long movie. It makes it a much easier watch.

I do have a question. Are you familiar with the deleted scenes of the trilogy? I am not well versed in these, and was wondering if they are relevant to the movies or would possibly enhance them.

That's a good question! I am familiar with the deleted scenes; they don't really add much to the story. A lot of them actually slow down the pacing of each film, and after watching them, you can easily see why they were deleted.

A majority of the deleted scenes are also in quite poor condition (in terms of their visual quality); I read that another forum member, BobsonDugnutt, has upscaled the deleted scenes for his edits. I don't have those upscaled scenes though!

That's a good question! I am familiar with the deleted scenes; they don't really add much to the story. A lot of them actually slow down the pacing of each film, and after watching them, you can easily see why they were deleted.

A majority of the deleted scenes are also in quite poor condition (in terms of their visual quality); I read that another forum member, BobsonDugnutt, has upscaled the deleted scenes for his edits. I don't have those upscaled scenes though!
Bobson Dognutt seems to be very generous about sharing...you could ask if you are so inclined? I agree with you, however. I think the pacing would suffer in a long play like this which I concur with @Dawnrazor, was quite good narratively. I did not pick it apart technically but enjoyed it very much as an afternoon watch.

As much as I love to see more of the BTTF Trilogy, I won't add in the deleted scenes, as it would hurt the narrative of this edit!

Since the last time you saw it, I have rebuilt the entire edit in the new NLE I recently acquired. Hopefully it will look much better, and be technically better than the previous version you saw.
Oh and I incorporated the feedback from @Dawnrazor regarding an audio transition in Part II as well. (y)

Bobson Dognutt seems to be very generous about sharing...you could ask if you are so inclined? I agree with you, however. I think the pacing would suffer in a long play like this which I concur with @Dawnrazor, was quite good narratively. I did not pick it apart technically but enjoyed it very much as an afternoon watch.

Since the last time you saw it, I have rebuilt the entire edit in the new NLE I recently acquired. Hopefully it will look much better, and be technically better than the previous version you saw.
Oh and I incorporated the feedback from @Dawnrazor regarding an audio transition in Part II as well. (y)
I figured as much. Being a part of Red Apple Crew 🍎 and putting up with my incessant nitpicking may have benefited you?

All of your insights have definitely benefitted me, as has being part of the Red Apple Crew! I wouldn't call it nitpicking though haha! You found things I wasn't able to when I was using the previous NLE. (y):D

I figured as much. Being a part of Red Apple Crew 🍎 and putting up with my incessant nitpicking may have benefited you?

I'm happy to write that I have submitted the edit tonight! (y)

Someone needs to explain to me the ordeal surrounding the "Red Apple Crew."

Who designed the smoking green worm in the red Apple? That really made my day.

The Red Apple Crew is a group of new and experienced editors who have been brought together to create special editing projects!
The initial project will be "The Tarantino Tales", where each of his films has been edited into a 1-hour episode.
10 editors, 10 films, 10 1-hour episodes.
There's more information here:

I'm glad that you liked the green worm at the start of the edit! From memory (and please correct me If I'm wrong!), it was designed by @Wraith and the animated version was designed by @krausfadr

Someone needs to explain to me the ordeal surrounding the "Red Apple Crew."

Who designed the smoking green worm in the red Apple? That really made my day.

The Red Apple Crew is a group of new and experienced editors who have been brought together to create special editing projects!
The initial project will be "The Tarantino Tales", where each of his films has been edited into a 1-hour episode.
10 editors, 10 films, 10 1-hour episodes.
There's more information here:

I'm glad that you liked the green worm at the start of the edit! From memory (and please correct me If I'm wrong!), it was designed by @Wraith and the animated version was designed by @krausfadr
...almost my friend...
@ArtisDead designed the Red Apple logo, I tweaked it, and Kraus added the smoke...

I should also Add that Red Apple Crew is in fact 12 editors, though 10 editors lead the projects. There has been a huge level of inter-editor collaboration across the project ...the release of Season 1 is very close. Final QC is being applied to the final episode, which nears completion.

I'll make a few small revisions to this edit:
  • Part I: remove the light yellow tint present on the Blu-ray version.
  • Add a light film grain throughout each film.
  • End of Part II: I am attempting to reinstate the last line of Marty’s dialogue, where he says “Oh perfect...just perfect”. I have used six different AI audio separation tools, and unfortunately they all miss the final “perfect” Marty says. When I first separated the audio a few months ago, these same tools all missed everything after “Oh”, but now these programs are isolating more of the audio. Eventually, the entire sentence will be captured haha! As an interim measure, I may simply duplicate the word “perfect”, insert the whole sentence, and add in the subtitles.
  • End of Part II / transition into Part III: I am looking at alternate pieces of music from the 'expanded edition' soundtracks, in order to find a short piece of music to use as a bridge in-between Marty leaving the Western Union representative, and meeting Doc again back in town.
  • I've added one small subtitle for a line spoken by Doc early in Part III, for which there has never been a subtitle for it in any DVD or Blu-ray version.
Hopefully these revisions will be completed in the next day or so.

Last edited:
Thanks to @PanteraSteel for looking over a section of the edit that didn't quite work (the end of Part II, and transition to Part III), and providing great feedback and ideas. It was much appreciated! (y)
I will incorporate his suggestion of reinstating the original ending of Part II, where we see the repeated scene of the DeLorean making the trip back to 1985, which will mean:
No break in the music / no dead space in music caused by the cuts I originally made.
No Marty teleporting from leaving the Western Union representative to suddenly being back where Doc is.

I will make this final adjustment, and render out an updated version in the next day or so.

I've been learning more about colour correction, and chatting with people who know much more about it than I do. I'm aiming to do a colour correction for Part III, in order to remove the yellow tint, and restore as much natural colour as possible.
It appears that the yellow tint has been unevenly applied in Part III; it's quite pronounced in some areas, and very light in others. I will go through and make adjustments on a scene-by-scene basis.

Back
Top Bottom