• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Fellini's City of Women my recent fan-fix project

RogerDodger

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
citte-rev05-Artisdead-Edit02.jpg

After the late-career success of Amarcord, Fellini seemed to lose his way in the 70s. In 1980 he came up with an idea that seemed to be safe ground, a sexual adventure starring his muse and cinematic alter ego Marcello Mastroianni for City of Women (1980). Marcello follows or is lead by a series of mysterious women and finds himself in a labyrinthine hotel during a feminist convention then stranded on the road surrounded and hounded by various beautiful, militant, singing and/or nagging women (and also meets an extraordinary cocksman). This dreamlike fantasia ultimately forces him to confront his ideas about femininity and his masculine attitudes.

Sort of.

The film feels more like Fellini-lite than actual Fellini. It’s less surreal (although indulgently visual) but its editorial strategy is based more in conventional shot/reverse shot construction and adherence to geographical blocking than his ‘60s classics. Where did the Fellini of old go? It also treats the topic of feminism harshly and reduces Marcello/ Snaporaz to an adolescent observer, a victim of his own obsessions. There’s not a lot of poetry. The film feels over-stuffed and yet half-baked, never transcending its original concept as merely a chapter in an anthology film that never materialized. I wanted to take out the anger, the redundant shots, the "explanations" and make it feel more like a late-60s Fellini film, not a reactionary 80s treatise.

I also intend to insert or replace some of the music with Nino Rota tracks (Luis Bakalov does the score, no slouch, but not the same). I think 20 - 30 minutes less of Fellini here will make this feel more like Fellini. A younger more hungry horny Fellini. Has anyone wanted a more pleasant, less harsh version of Fellini's City of Women?

Last edited:
My kind of left field project! Love Fellini. DON'T love City of Women, for the reasons you listed. Definitely interested!

Thanks for the interest. This is more for my own personal interest (there's a good movie in there) but nice to know someone else is on board. More soon!

Over halfway through this and I found this film works much better with a series of micro-cuts to various scenes. Besides the "obvious" start of cutting down on the shrill feminist stuff that is off-putting in the first 15 minutes (and makes Marcello's walk through the convention less confrontational, more an erotic exploration) I've been cutting out a fair number of shot/reverse shots that are normally not in Fellini's work and slow things down.

Less establishing of blocking, of walking from one room to the other allows this to feel more like we're in a dream (which we are frankly). Less logic, more Marcello stumbling through from vision to event to incident without need to place everything geographically.

Seems like less feeling of "get on with it!" Good progress.

After a QC I'm about done with this one. Re-timing subtitles gave me a bit of a head-ache since, if I made a slight edit early, it threw everything off after that point by that much. (Kden is my software - I'm moving and timing by hand although there MUST be an easier way the pros know about!). All good!

After a QC I'm about done with this one. Re-timing subtitles gave me a bit of a head-ache since, if I made a slight edit early, it threw everything off after that point by that much. (Kden is my software - I'm moving and timing by hand although there MUST be an easier way the pros know about!). All good!
I recommend VisualSubSync for subtitles work. It's free, easy to use, and you can find tutorials on YouTube. I used to do them in Subtitle Workshop but that involved having to count the frames of each cut (painful) while VisualSubSync does not.

Hi, Dwight,

Thanks for the suggestion but it looks like VSS is only for Windows and I'm on Mac. I'll look into Aegisub as that seems with a quick search to be the best and robust. Kden had this weird thing (with my instance at least) that if I moved a scene with subs attached, the subs moved at a slightly different rate. ?? A friend suggested I get an old Windows machine for my fanwork, especially if I intend to attack more subtitled films! Nothing like doing it the old fashioned way.

This is an update - after input from 2 smart viewers who know the original pretty well (thank goodness for knowledgeable reviewers) I'm doing one last pass to smooth out audio edits, adjust too-loud and too-soft bits, and generally make the ride down the velvet chute that much more pleasant. Looking to be ready in a week for primetime.

You seem to spend 90% of your effort on the last 10% ;)

Alright...that is a very fitting poster. Do you think anyone would have realized that it was a human staged as a puppet?

I just finished watching this edit again. It is one strange trip. I guess the faded pastel coloring is intentional but it could sure benefit from a LUT. The source material, even on the bluray isn't the best quality. Video blocking and other odd artifacts. There was no popping on my bluray. Basing my opinion on this and the almost complete approval that @Dwight Fry granted the editor before vanishing to Tahiti, I consider this edit approved. The pops that tormented the illustrious Mr. Fry appear to be corrected. Congratulations, @RogerDodger! Crack a beer. Gnosh on some cheese. Welcome to our community!

I did a slight upscale and applied a LUT in case you might be inclined.

Back
Top Bottom