• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Favorite Movie Scores

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm a huge fan of instrumentals, and original scores in movies. So I'm hoping people will share their favorites. I will probably type up a big list and make it my next post, but I thought I'd start off with a couple that I like.

Ennio Morricone's score for "State of Grace" (which if you haven't seen I highly recommend if for nothing else but to see Gary Oldman's performance)

Madonna's Instrumental version of the song Live to Tell used throughout the movie "At Close Range" (most memorably in the opening credits)

Just the music:

If you want to watch the opening credits/scene of "At Close Range":

Other classics that come to mind. The Score for "The Fugitive", "The Assassination of Jesse James", Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross' score for "The Social Network" (haven't heard the OST for Dragon Tattoo so can't comment on that).

Anyway, please share your own favorites!

Top 2 (Too lazy to list more right now.)

The Good The Bad and The Ugly by Ennio Morricone.

Suspiria by Goblin.

I'll go for the cliches.

John Williams: Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, E.T., Superman, Harry Potter, Jaws, Home Alone

Hans Zimmer: Pirates of the Caribbean, The Dark Knight, Sherlock Holmes, Gladiator, Inception, The Lion King

Alan Silvestri: Forrest Gump, Back to the Future, The Polar Express, Night at the Museum

Howard Shore:
The Lord of the Rings, Hugo

James Horner: Braveheart, Avatar, Apollo 13, Field of Dreams, A Beautiful Mind

Michael Giacchino: Ratatouille, Up

Feel like I'm missing someone...

Quickcut took care of a good many of my cliche picks, but I'll throw in one more composer and highlights;

Thomas Newman: American Beauty, Road to Perdition, Finding Nemo, WALL*E, Shawshank Redemption

Beyond the clichés:

Bruce Broughton: Young Sherlock Holmes (as far as I'm concerned, the best John Williams soundtrack JW didn't write), Tombstone

Alfred Newman: so many things, starting with The Mark of Zorro, David and Bathsheba, and The Gunfighter

James Horner: The Mask of Zorro and The Rocketeer

Erich Wolfgang Korngold: The Adventures of Robin Hood and Kings Row

Ralph Burns: My Favorite Year

Classic scores:

- Bernard Herrmann: "Vertigo"
- Angelo Badalamenti: "Blue Velvet" (although the song selection is a lot less traditional, his ouverture and mood music is heavily Herrmann-inspired)
- Ennio Morricone: "Once Upon a Time in the West" (the main theme is brutal, but I also love the underrated Cheyenne theme).

Not-so-traditional scores:

- Angelo Badalamenti (with David Lynch, David Slusser, Julee Cruise and Jimmy Scott): "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me" (some of my favourite music ever written)

hands down my favorite is Pan's Labyrinth by Javier Navarrete

I also like some of the ones already mentioned, but another favorite, and recent score is Moon by Clint Mansell

Vangelis: Blade Runner, The Bounty
James Horner: Star trek II - La colère de Khan, ALIENS
Jerry Goldsmith: The Omen
Ennio Morricone: Death Rides A Horse, Dollars trilogy
Basil Polidouris: Conan de BarBar, ROBOCOP
Elliot Goldenthal: Interview With The Vampire, Titus, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
Sergei Prokofiev: Alexander Nevsky (Restored Yuri Terminkov version/catana version)
John Williams: E.T., The Fury, SW/ESB/ROTJ

There's more that i can't think of right now.

+1 on The Fury. Can't believe I forgot that one.

My favorite score of all time is Clint Mandell's The Fountain, but pretty much everything he does is brilliant. Especially when he's scoring a Darren Aronofsky film.

Harry Gregson-Williams: ​Shrek, The Chronicles of Narnia, X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Hate to sound like a broken record, but I've got to give props to Goldsmith's The Mummy, and Silvestri's The Mummy Returns - spectacularly, gloriously, and unashamedly over the top:

And, let's not forget Goldsmith's absolutely perfect Star Trek: First Contact suite, which, in my mind, is the single theme track to the entire franchise. When the strings start to swell around 2:45, it's like a pure expression of humanity's persistence of hope... then a bit of quiet... and then a reprise of TMP/TNG, complete with ringing bells. Amazing:

Though, I've got to say that Giacchino also did the series proud:

Finally, let's credit Jeff Beal for his amazing work on both Rome and Carnivale, the latter of which is music that sounds utterly unlike any other score I've heard:

Rogue-theX said:
Vangelis: Blade Runner, The Bounty

When you mention Vangelis, you must mention Chariots of Fire.

Trevor Rabin's score for National Treasure is quite good.

ThrowgnCpr said:
hands down my favorite is Pan's Labyrinth by Javier Navarrete

Completely agree with you. Beautiful score.

Back
Top Bottom