• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Favorite directors (and your favorite of their films)

Added Panos Cosmatos to my list. My favourite film of his' Mandy.

Personally, I am not going to sound remotely unique in my answer, but I'll go with it anyway.

It's gotta be Stanley Kubrick.
He's just got the most unique style, of metaphysical narratives which transcend the fourth wall, and is effectively adding the audience's presence in the narrative to the experience in a way no other director has been able to do.
He was also just a "stylistic chameleon" as Steven Spielberg put it, able to construct a completely unique style from scratch to accommodate any given film he did.

I'd probably rate his films I've seen as follows
11) Fear and Desire (1953)
10) Killer's Kiss (1955)
9) Spartacus (1960)
8) The Killing (1956)
7) Paths of Glory (1957)
6) Barry Lyndon (1975)
5) Full Metal Jacket (1987)
4) A Clockwork Orange (1971)
3) Dr. Strangelove OR: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
2) The Shining (1980)
1) 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

I fully accept that answer  your explanation makes sense. I personally haven't seen any of his films in their entirety, the only one I've tried watching was 2001, but I was younger, and couldn't get into it. 
Though just from what I've heard about him, he seems like a cool director.

I'm not a fan of Kubrick (most of his movies I've watched I've found aloof and cynical), but I fully understand why others love him.

Wes Anderson's on the verge of becoming a new favourite of mine. Gonna have to watch a couple more of his films before I can be sure, though.

All I've seen of Wes Anderson is Rushmore, and I really enjoyed it. I need to watch more.

Duragizer said:
Wes Anderson's on the verge of becoming a new favourite of mine. Gonna have to watch a couple more of his films before I can be sure, though.

I LOOOOOOOVE Wes Anderson. It's so rare that somebody creates a completely new form of cinema in our lifetime.

I watched Fantastic Mr. Fox when I was a kid but I can’t remember how it was because it was a long time ago.

More recently, I watched The Royal Tenenbaums which I thoıght was a good movie with a very unique style, which I enjoyed very much. This film pretty much introduced his style to me and I really love it.

I still haven’t gotten around to seeing The Grand Budapest Hotel. I did see the beginning of the movie when I was 15, but I wasn’t in the mood to watch a movie and the film didn’t grab me at that moment. But from what I recall from the beginning, I’m sure I’ll like it a lot when I finally get around to watching it.

Masirimso17 said:
I watched Fantastic Mr. Fox when I was a kid but I can’t remember how it was because it was a long time ago.

More recently, I watched The Royal Tenenbaums which I thoıght was a good movie with a very unique style, which I enjoyed very much. This film pretty much introduced his style to me and I really love it.

I still haven’t gotten around to seeing The Grand Budapest Hotel. I did see the beginning of the movie when I was 15, but I wasn’t in the mood to watch a movie and the film didn’t grab me at that moment. But from what I recall from the beginning, I’m sure I’ll like it a lot when I finally get around to watching it.

Check out The Life Aquatic when you get a chance. Bill Murray's the lead role.

i've not seen many films, but..

Francis Ford Coppola - Apocalypse Now
Andrei Tarkovsky - Stalker
Martin Scorcese - Taxi Driver
George Lucas - Star Wars
Christopher Nolan - Interstellar
Quentin Tarantino - Pulp Fiction/The Hateful Eight
Steven Spielberg - Raiders of the Lost Ark

i've been meaning to watch more movies but i simply procrastinate too much...

thecuddlyninja said:
King is welcome to his opinion, as is Bob, for me it's a hell of a gut punch. It's a sickening ending, unimaginable. It makes me feel strongly in a way that few other movies have, and I love that.

Just catching up now to say that the ending of The Mist is perfect. :p

Added Hayao Miyazaki to my list. My favourite film of his' My Neighbor Totoro.

Oh well hard to name a full list here. For me, it really depends on the mood. 
  1. Artistic and visual mood: Stanley Kubrick -> The Shining, Full Metal Jacket; Eyes Wide Shut;
  2. Science fiction mood: Ridley Scott -> Alien, Blade Runner;
  3. Horror mood: John Carpenter -> The Thing, Halloween;
  4. Hypster mood: Quentin Tarantino -> Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Bastard;
  5. Weirdo mood: David Fincher: Seven, Fight club;
  6. Asia mood: Bong Joon-ho -> Parasite, Memories of Murder.
It would be interesting to pair directors with dishes. Maybe silly. Anyway.

My favourite directors are Tarantino and Guy Richie! The best ones in my opinion. Any movie from them is an art  :rolleyes:

Guy Richie and Tarantino are the best! Any of their movies is a pure art  :rolleyes:

David Fincher is probably my favourite director... I was introduced to him with The Social Network, and even when I was young I really enjoyed the dialogue and "calculated" style of that film (as with all of Fincher's work). I now appreciate it even more, recognizing that it expresses the "insanity" Fincher loves to showcase without relying on much violence (outside of a few fake-out punches, and a laptop slamming) at all - making it a perfect entry point for those wanting to get into his work.

While Fight Club is probably still my favourite of his works, I recently rewatched Se7en (stylized like that just to annoy Frink, among others), and I'd attest that that is his masterpiece. 

My Letterboxd review:
This might just be Fincher's masterpiece. It's not my favourite of his works, but I think it's a film that's as great as it could ever be.

Whereas, say, Fight Club could be improved by adding some more clues, subtleties, and realism to the "twist" - or even just "modernizing" the CG - Se7en executes all of this perfectly, it's a film that only improves on a rewatch (a case that could be made for any great noir/thriller - anything with a "twist").

Most everything in this film holds so much more weight when you see where it's going; when you're able to read between the lines, in the background, for more information. And doing so certainly pays off.

This time 'round, I watched the CCEHD re-grade of the film - which further emphasizes the noir elements Fincher expertly experiments with here. Seriously, I'm sure you could watch this in B&W and get roughly the same, if not a better (or at least more interesting), experience with it.

So why not five stars then, Mac? Why just four-and-a-half? Well, Se7en is flawless, its a masterpiece in every regard as far as I can tell, but the "cool-down" for it is pretty quick. I appreciate everything in it, but I don't adore it, or even elements of it, the way I do Fincher's other work: the dialogue in The Social Network, the comedy and satire of Fight Club, the journalism and characterization/arcs in Zodiac (not to mention the genius technical work). Maybe this'll change on a rewatch, or maybe I'm just plain full of shit.

It's done.

My favourite film of his' The Grand Budapest Hotel.

This required some thought: in many films I'm not sure I can tell apart the director's touch from the writer and other contributors. Here are the directors that come to my mind (in random order):

David Lean, for Lawrence of Arabia.
Steven Spielberg, for Indiana Jones and films like Hook and Catch Me If You Can.
Sergio Leone, for spaghetti westerns.
Blake Edwards, for irreverent fun.
Stanley Kubrick, for Dr Strangelove and gripping fight-scenes in Spartacus.
Alfred Hitchcock, for suspense that holds up to repeat viewing.
Charlie Chaplin, for holding up a mirror to reality, especially in The Great Dictator.
Mel Brooks, for Blazing Saddles and more.
George Lucas, for translating his concept for Star Wars to the silver screen.
Terry Jones, for the Python movies.

For me my favourite director is Denis Villeneuve and my top 3 would be Sicario, Blade runner 2049 and Prisoners.

Back
Top Bottom