• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Fanedit Movie Trailers?

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I havent really dug deep enough and learned the current editing tools and dont have any ideas or plans to do a fanedit anytime soon. I have always toyed with the idea of making some movie trailers. Specifically older movies, 60s-70s. I feel that movie trailers are an art in themselves (a really good trailer can fool you into forking over 10-15 bucks for a movie only to discover that it is garbage :) ). But movie trailers used to be horrendous (ever see the original deer hunter trailer?!). I'd say maybe mid 80s - early 90s is when trailers really improved. Anyway wondering if anyone else was interested in this kind of thing. Im going to start working on one tomorrow. I hope this post isn't considered "off-topic."

I don't know if it's off-topic or not, but you are right, it's an artform. I have a friend who does amazing work on this, and I know on Youtube I've seen several. One of my favorite examples is the movie The Black Hole. compare the original along with some fan-made ones that range from bleh, to really well-done.

The original 1979 trailer:
[youtube:336n3e2q]
(this is a respectable effort at least in that it tries to build tension but the pacing is miserable)

Compare that against some fan-trailers:
(major pacing problems and really, is just the movie in 3 minutes)

(OK, but too long)

but my personal favorite:
(unfortunately the original high quality one was deleted by the creator, but this guy kept a copy.

I like fanedit trailers a lot, especially the really creative ones, like the hysterical Ghostbusters (1954) trailer. I would definitely like watching more.

One thing, though:
But movie trailers used to be horrendous
I don't know about this. Have you seen the Beyond the Valley of the Dolls trailer? It's just amazingly awesome, and you're not likely to see anything that insane nowadays. These days trailers are all narrated by the same guy, and follows the exact same structure. (PS: I haven't seen the original Dee Hunter trailer.)

Order66 said:
But movie trailers used to be horrendous (ever see the original deer hunter trailer?!). I'd say maybe mid 80s - early 90s is when trailers really improved.
Couldn't disagree more. I detest most modern movie trailers with their flashy MTV style designed for people with no attention span whatsoever. As if the only thing that matters for a movie is frantic pacing.

The problem with older trailers is they simply tell you the entire story in slow, plodding fashion. Sure, once in awhile they are OK, but the VAST majority I've ever seen are dreadful. Take the one Hebrides linked to for 'The Fury' I have no need to see that movie (not because it looked cheesy) but because I already saw it in condensed form. Old trailers were almost like visual cliff notes.

Chronological trailers... I hate those ones:

- Hi! I'm the hero, I'm fine. Wait! Something happens!
- Hi, I'm the bad guy, I was a friend of the hero but he killed my wife by mistake, so I want to kill him now.
- Hi, I'm the hero's girlfriend, I suspect his friend wants to kill him... Oh no! He caught me!
- Oh no! My friend is the bad guy! He caught my girlfriend!
- Hi, it's the bad guy again... You want your girlfriend back? Come and get her if you dare!

Sudden black screen, for suspens, you know.
Then: none stop action scenes until the big title credit with thunder-like score on it.

Do I really need to see the movie now?

TMBTM said:
Chronological trailers... I hate those ones:

- Hi! I'm the hero, I'm fine. Wait! Something happens!
- Hi, I'm the bad guy, I was a friend of the hero but he killed my wife by mistake, so I want to kill him now.
- Hi, I'm the hero's girlfriend, I suspect his friend wants to kill him... Oh no! He caught me!
- Oh no! My friend is the bad guy! He caught my girlfriend!
- Hi, it's the bad guy again... You want your girlfriend back? Come and get her if you dare!

Sudden black screen, for suspens, you know.
Then: none stop action scenes until the big title credit with thunder-like score on it.

Do I really need to see the movie now?

Amen!!
[youtube:31som9o0]

DwightFry78 said:
Order66 said:
But movie trailers used to be horrendous (ever see the original deer hunter trailer?!). I'd say maybe mid 80s - early 90s is when trailers really improved.
Couldn't disagree more. I detest most modern movie trailers with their flashy MTV style designed for people with no attention span whatsoever. As if the only thing that matters for a movie is frantic pacing.

Precisely, they are too busy typing into their fu**ing telephones to notice much of anything going on unless it is loud, flashy or shows a lot of colors

That trailer is the funniest thing I've seen all week. Hilarious!

I figured I should have linked to the "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" trailer, but I couldn't find it on youtube (or anywhere else) anymore. A shame. (Not the behind-the-scenes trailer, but the official one with images from the film cut impossibly fast and with an insistent voice-over.)

Back
Top Bottom