• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

fan editing other fan edits?

DBitor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
pardon if there was already a thread for this topic but i couldn't find it, so i made one.

it always cued me curiosity over what the consensus on this is? for example, if a fan editor found a fan edit that actually aligns quite close to their vision of what they would have wanted to do with some movie, but thought it could have been done this way or that way in accordance with their vision. should the fan editor ask for the fan edit's creator consent first before editing it? or should they just fan edit it like any other movie as long as they give credit. in either case, would such a type of fan edits be considered their kind of own thing or just like any regular fan edit?

I sometimes edit other people's fanedits. E.g. to put back a cut scene that I really enjoy in a movie. But I never share those, that's solely for personal use.

Restoring one scene doesn't make it markedly different from the already available fanedit. Therefore it wouldn't qualify for its own listing on IFDB.

Generally it's always a good idea to check in with editors before using their version. As lapis mentioned, it would need to be something pretty drastically different from the sourced edit to be on ifdb. I've had people use large chunks of one of my edits before and the issue was more that they either were saying it was their own work and or did not honor the requests I had received from others who I sourced things from or that they were violating community rules and I didn't want my editing associated with their choices. Ultimately it's a courtesy rather than a requirement.

From the conversations here there is some amount of cross-pollination, let's say, in edits of popular series like The Hobbit or Star Wars. Less so elsewhere.

Personally I only know of one edit where I'd do my own version of it, and that is Bram Stoker's Dracula (Silent Film Version), although I most likely would not distribute it. I would change the intertitles to use a legible font and, where necessary, extend them to allow enough time to be read. The edit is mostly fantastic but for the choice of font and timing on the intertitles. (Changing the duration of the intertitles will probably involve some additional audio work to make sure the score still largely flows as intended, but if that's what it takes...)

I'm not re-editing fanedits but I've done some edits that are almost identical to the ones that already existed (Extended Titanic based on White Star Extended Edition, only in HD, Hybrid Cut of first Alien), but I didn't submit those. If something is an inspiration, I'd rather make something similar from scratch than "fixing" someone's else edit.

That being said, WW84 Excellent Adventure edit un-scored maybe something I'd give a shot to score myself based on existing foundations.

I'm not re-editing fanedits but I've done some edits that are almost identical to the ones that already existed (Extended Titanic based on White Star Extended Edition, only in HD, Hybrid Cut of first Alien), but I didn't submit those. If something is an inspiration, I'd rather make something similar from scratch than "fixing" someone's else edit.

That being said, WW84 Excellent Adventure edit un-scored maybe something I'd give a shot to score myself based on existing foundations.
DITTO....
I have some private tweaks of other editor's edits, but would not presume to release them (which is odd that we seem to feel that way and yet we raid the ACTUAL underlying movie quite happily)....

I have mashed Adywan and Harmy together, and also re-created Star Trek II Unity Project, but as you say, I'd rather go from scratch generally (that's also when the magic happens, and new things occur)...

I actually have found that trying to imitate the edits of editors I admire has been some of the greatest learning experiences here in the community. It really helps me to admire the amazing skills that our members have in abundance.

aS FAR AS RECREATING OTHERS' EDITS, (just realized I had caps lock on, can't be bothered to delet and re-type) I've made my own Reservoir Dogs chronological cut despite knowing that it's already been done, just as a fun editing experiment. I also have plans to eventually remake CBB's Two Exits from Pan's Labyrinth edit based on just the cutlist, due to the demand for the edit and it seemingly being lost to time. Remakes of old edits are nothing new, with some being released on IFDB, you just have to make it extra clear that it is not your own original work. It's also recommended to ask the original editor first if possible.

One time, years ago, I asked @MusicEd921's permission to re-edit their Darkman edit. I got the permission, but I never got around to it, and I no longer have any intention of doing so.

Funny enough, I actually have a Hobbit edit I've been working on getting approval for that is heavily based on this very idea!

Link if you're interested!
Hobbit edits 👀
more cole sprouse GIF

Funny enough, I actually have a Hobbit edit I've been working on getting approval for that is heavily based on this very idea!

Link if you're interested!
I don't see your edit as a recreation of anyone's edit. Yours is certainly your unique vision. You just incorporate a lot of their ideas into yours as a sort of homage to them and their edits. It's the highest form of flattery as I'm sure Hal or Harmy will attest.

I would love to see remastered HD versions of

@white43 Samantha Darko
@SteveJo86 Karate Kid The Story Continues
@brumous Solaris Station
Steven Soderbergh Psycho
@Remixed by Jorge Blue Skies on Mars
@JasonN Super Toys Last All Summer long
@bionicbob John Carter of Mars

also i am not sure if @DominicCobb The Master Reprocessed was available in HD but i absolutely loved his take on the movie and would love a nice higher bitrate file or bluray for the shelf.

I love all of the original movies except for Samantha Darko / John Carter / The Master but the above edits are great alternatives and need a bit of an upgrade for our bigger TV's and projectors.

Hopefully the original editors will get around to it one day or give permission to enthusiatic editors to pursue the projects.

Last edited:
I would love to see remastered HD versions of

@white43 Samantha Darko
@SteveJo86 Karate Kid The Story Continues
@brumous Solaris Station
Steven Soderbergh Psycho
@Remixed by Jorge Blue Skies on Mars
@JasonN Super Toys Last All Summer long
@bionicbob John Carter of Mars

also i am not sure if @DominicCobb The Master Reprocessed was available in HD but i absolutely loved his take on the movie and would love a nice higher bitrate file or bluray for the shelf.

I love all of the original movies except for Samantha Darko / John Carter / The Master but the above edits are great alternatives and need a bit of an upgrade for our bigger TV's and projectors.

Hopefully the original editors will get around to it one day or give permission to enthusiatic editors to pursue the projects.
...and Kerr's LOTR 6 parter (which if he is not around, I may just do myself (after a couple of other projects...)

Hobbit edits 👀
more cole sprouse GIF

One might go so far as to say "A Master Edit, to combine all others....." XD

I don't see your edit as a recreation of anyone's edit. Yours is certainly your unique vision. You just incorporate a lot of their ideas into yours as a sort of homage to them and their edits. It's the highest form of flattery as I'm sure Hal or Harmy will attest.

That's fair, I've been liberal with the borrowing/usage of other edits but when all is said and done, those excellent scenes that I used from other edits take up probably 1/5 to 1/3 of the runtime. All of which (including the rest of the edit) has been incorporated according to my own vision. I'm glad you approve! My mom always said Mimicry was the sincerest form of flattery after all!

One might go so far as to say "A Master Edit, to combine all others....." XD

That's fair, I've been liberal with the borrowing/usage of other edits but when all is said and done, those excellent scenes that I used from other edits take up probably 1/5 to 1/3 of the runtime. All of which (including the rest of the edit) has been incorporated according to my own vision. I'm glad you approve! My mom always said Mimicry was the sincerest form of flattery after all!
Here is the second half of that great paraphrased quote........
“Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.”
Oscar Wilde

You didn't have to do it to me like that man
There’s a follow on… no offence meant.

It means we (collective faneditors) are the mediocrity…the greatness lies with the Filmakers…and auteurs…
HOWEVER
...long may our efforts seek and continue to expose the hidden greatness within…

just historical context
The paraphrasing stands IMO

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom