• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Fan Editing: An Emerging Digital Art Form

Sweet! But, it would be great if some space could be added between the end of my article and the "Singular Case" bit. At present, it reads like another section in the article, which was not my intention. :wink:

It's an honor to be able to contribute to the fanedit.org site! :)

Just read this article Gaith, great job! Its educational and entertaining - its edjutainment! Imagine if the AP were to somehow pick this article up and start circulating it, I imagine traffic on the site would be through the roof.

Great article Gaith! It was well thought-out and informative, thanks for taking the time to put it up :)

a nice read Gaith, dont know how I missed this one for so long.
....must be my contempt for the written word *shakes fist*

Well, I just found this article through your signature, Gaith. So even though it's 3 years late, I'm going to add my praise to it. :) It's a simply wonderful article - thorough, well-researched, thoughtful and just plain entertaining!

The only thing I would possibly want to correct is the idea that George Lucas, in a sense, invented fan edits with the Special Editions in the 1990s. Spielberg created a Special Edition of his own Close Encounters in the late 1970s (in fact, there have been a number of different versions of the film):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close_Encounters_of_the_Third_Kind#Reissue_and_home_video

There have also been a number of Special Editions of Blade Runner in the 1980s and early 1990s, especially:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versions_of_Blade_Runner

Granted, the Star Wars SEs were a big part of what opened people's minds to the idea of malleable cinema. I just think it's worth clarifying that Lucas didn't invent the concept of a Special Edition. :)

But that's just a quibble. It's a phenomenal article overall!

On a side note:

What's so ironic - and what Lucas himself still doesn't seem to get - is that, for all the movies that people wish were better and wish they could change or edit, the original Star Wars films were not among them at all. If one were to poll people on what they thought were the most perfect, flawless movies of all time, the original Star Wars trilogy would probably be at the top or near the top for most people. And those movies, of all movies, are the movies that the filmmaker just won't leave alone!

Not one person asked for a "Noooooo." Not one. Nobody asked for pupils on the Ewoks. Nobody. Nobody would have even thought of such crazy changes.

The people who love his movies the most have been asking for the unaltered films almost non-stop for 15 years. Instead, George Lucas makes more changes, effectively sticking a middle finger out to all the fans. (And yet people still bought the Blu-rays in droves. I don't get it.)

And then, in a further instance of irony, Lucas re-releases The Phantom Menace in 3-D - a film that people are begging to have fixed - and he doesn't alter it. Yes, there's the CGI Yoda (which I'm actually in favor of; that puppet looked hideous), but it's not one second shorter. He could have chopped out 15 minutes and won over a bunch of disenchanted fans. But he won't trim one minute of his precious midichlorian talk.

So, to sum up: Lucas keeps messing with the original, nearly perfect movies, but he won't touch his dog-poop newer movies. Ugh.

Okay, rant over. :)

Movies have been re-edited by filmmakers and/or studios for a long time. I think Gaith's point is that Lucas himself is guilty of what he accuses faneditors of.

Nice job. Is that just a post for us or is this a copy of an article being published somewhere?

Also, typo in 4th paragraph: "And while Mike J. Nichols is often created with popularizing the fan edit"

^ D'oh! Oh, well. Rather than correct the original post and leave a fresh edit stamp, I'll let it be. :)

I wrote this article both to express my love for the forum, and to pass a fairly laid-back college journalism class whose professor didn't mind my spending some "academic" time on the matter. Glad to see people are still enjoying it! :)

Back
Top Bottom