• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Fallout (show)

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anybody watching this? I have watched a few episodes and I'm surprised how good it is. I had a similar reaction to Twisted Metal.

However, I also cannot stop thinking the lead actress would have been perfect to play Chell from Portal, and now that she's been in Fallout, I highly doubt she'd be in another video game thing. Lol.

I tried it because I've enjoyed Ella Purnell in other things (Sweetbitter, Wildlike), but was kind of disappointed with the first episode and didn't go further than that. Usually I'd skip through further but they had a big preview at the end that gave and overview of the upcoming plot arc and like the first episode it felt super tropey and contrived, which I guess shouldn't be surprising coming from a video game, but I feel like it would have been better if they had diverged a bit to make something more film-oriented rather than something that seems okay when you're spending 24,48,100 hours living and slowly experiencing it.

And while Ella's story was a bit on the slow side and utterly predictable from half way through - one of the shots gave away the game like 5-10 minutes beforehand - I only half enjoyed the cowboy story, and didn't care about the stormtrooper story at all - felt like something that'd been done so many times before and if I wanted that I'd go watch Halo for a better experience.

I know some other people enjoyed it for what it was, and I don't want to sound overly negative, it wasn't terrible, but it didn't feel particularly special and given how many things I watch I have a pretty low tolerance for tropes unless there are other stellar elements. I saw some other people say it was fine but not something they'd rewatch and I think that's probably a fair assessment.

Yeah I have pretty low expectations going in to any video game adaptations, just in general. I don't mean to suggest it's anything groundbreaking or high art. I'm halfway through now and I am entertained enough to finish the season.

Binged the hell outta it since Fallout is one of my favorite franchises. I thought it was definitely entertaining and just the right amount of blood and guts. The comical side of it was great too

I was expecting it to be a boring mishmash of highlights and references from the games, and it does have that element, but it's also a decent story with plenty of engaging characters and plot points.
It has pretty crass humour at times which is sometimes funny bit mostly just awkward. It's just the basic millennial humour where you say a lot of swear words and talk about sex a lot and that's funny. The jokes that aren't toilet humour are a lot better.

The only thing that really annoyed me is the Brotherhood of Steel being a pointless superhero militia with no real philosophy or goals, but given that that's how they are in the most recent and most popular Fallout game, it's understandable.
I'm not so much bothered about it not matching cannon as I am about it being boring.

I watched the first episode. The cold open was great; the rest not so much. Not sure if I’ll continue.

Never played the game and don’t really know anything about the franchise.

With that said, watched the first three episodes and really enjoyed them! Love the Alternate History Retro Stylings. The series I has a fun Pulp Drive-In vibe. Really looking forward to how it all unfolds. 👍

This definitely could use a fanedit. The scenes vary from really good to extremely cringe. I'm not kidding when I say the 'Do you want to have sex?' 'My dick pops like a pimple' conversation made me almost throw the remote at my TV.

Litterally 1/10 writing there. First three episodes were great though. I'd definitely cut the cemetary scene from episode one though. That scene went nowhere and the cowboy would definitely be more interesting without it.

I finished it. Very entertaining tv overall. I'm a little familiar with the games but haven't played them much so the lore hints and locations went over my head. Didn't love all the characters or scenarios. For example I found most of vault 4 a little too silly.

But, I thought that scene where they talk about sex was really interesting. Of course it's silly, but it's also character driven.

I thought it really emphasized how, in many ways the Brotherhood of Steel are nothing more than a juvenile power fantasy, and the men enlisted are kept as ignorant as children, with how little they're educated. But they're still expected to do detective work, hunt bounties, and fight wars. Their weapons, and their pack mentality, and masculinity is so important to them, yet they completely ignore a basic human impulse.
Meanwhile the vault dwellers are so sex-positive due to their genuine belief they are the last vestiges of humanity, that their families aren't even off limits. They also seem to find no particular joy in it but see it as a duty, a way to still be productive when there's nothing else to do.
I liked it. Yeah it would be cringe if it was a real person in the present but it felt real enough for the character(s), to me.

I finished it. Very entertaining tv overall. I'm a little familiar with the games but haven't played them much so the lore hints and locations went over my head. Didn't love all the characters or scenarios. For example I found most of vault 4 a little too silly.

But, I thought that scene where they talk about sex was really interesting. Of course it's silly, but it's also character driven. I thought it really emphasized how, in many ways the Brotherhood of Steel are nothing more than a juvenile power fantasy, and the men enlisted are kept as ignorant as children, with how little they're educated. But they're still expected to do detective work, hunt bounties, and fight wars. Their weapons, and their pack mentality, and masculinity is so important to them, yet they completely ignore a basic human impulse.
Meanwhile the vault dwellers are so sex-positive due to their genuine belief they are the last vestiges of humanity, that their families aren't even off limits. They also seem to find no particular joy in it but see it as a duty, a way to still be productive when there's nothing else to do.

I liked it. Yeah it would be cringe if it was a real person in the present but it felt real enough for the character(s), to me.
My problem is that he isn't as idiotic before, or after this moment. It's not his virginity that's annoying to me, it's how he suddenly gets brain damage. He has been plenty resourceful up untill this point and suddenly he doesn't even know how sex works and speaks like a litteral child of 5? They went waaaaay overboard here. Make him shy, sure. Inexperienced, sure. But a litteral child? Nah, he was talking about fusion cores earlier and could identify cannibals from 100 meters away lol.

Got major 'the room' vibes from this scene and my wife sighed a huge sigh of frustration lol.

he was talking about fusion cores earlier and could identify cannibals from 100 meters away lol.
I understand thinking it was too much/too far/not funny, but for me it didn't come across as him being an idiot. I immediately formed mental impressions about why he would react that way, so for me it was effective worldbuilding. He knows about things the Brotherhood wants him to know, it would make sense they wouldn't teach about sex because they are recruited as children unless he was an outlier, they probably wouldn't want to give the recruits reasons to quit and run off with someone, knowing about it/having it wouldn't help him fight better, and I don't know about the games but I got the impression in the show the Brotherhood had almost like a religious monk thing going on. Stuff like that makes my mind wander, it was more than just the words he said, which were admittedly (but I think intentionally) cringe.

That said, I would NOT watch this with my wife, I can only imagine hearing that same sigh a million more times, she definitely would not get out of it what I got, lol.

I understand thinking it was too much/too far/not funny, but for me it didn't come across as him being an idiot. I immediately formed mental impressions about why he would react that way, so for me it was effective worldbuilding. He knows about things the Brotherhood wants him to know, it would make sense they wouldn't teach about sex because they are recruited as children unless he was an outlier, they probably wouldn't want to give the recruits reasons to quit and run off with someone, knowing about it/having it wouldn't help him fight better, and I don't know about the games but I got the impression in the show the Brotherhood had almost like a religious monk thing going on. Stuff like that makes my mind wander, it was more than just the words he said, which were admittedly (but I think intentionally) cringe.

That said, I would NOT watch this with my wife, I can only imagine hearing that same sigh a million more times, she definitely would not get out of it what I got, lol.

The problem with the scene is it completely undermines the actually good scene where she actually learns he is a legitemately good person by giving the fusion core back.

That scene loses all power because earlier they both were 'hurdur sex' and now they have a truly touching moment. The tone in the show is a bit.. all over the place with them in particular.

What also frustrated me was how often these folks casually run into eachother. Like.. I understand the desire to re-use a set, but could it be done a little more elegantly in S2?

Finished last night.

WOW! Fun show! Again, not a Gamer. I know nothing about the Franchise. So as just a show, all I can say this is delightful, oddball, good time.

It reminds of the fun apocalyptic B-Movies of the 80s like Trancers, Cherry 2000 or Six String Samurai I used pick up from Blockbuster.
I love how it juggles it's different tones; shifting smoothly from over the top violence, to goofy comedy, to rich character beats. It never swerves too hard or loses it's narrative reality. It's alternate history, retro-1950s design is absolutely glorious to behold.

For me, a really fun, smart, throwback adventure series. So happy to read it has been renewed for a second season!

I just finished it today, and I was pretty disappointed in the end.
It was fun to watch (most of the time) and had great buildup and intrigue, but the pay-offs never really landed for me.
Out of all the adaptations that have been produced recently it's easily the best, but that's not saying much.

Now that I think about it, the Vault 4 episode is kind of a microcosm of the whole show;
The characters are in an unusual setting where people live by their own obscure rules and customs, overtime they start to develop the feeling that things aren't quite what they seem, through their investigations they find hints of a horrific secret behind everything, and then it's suddenly revealed that all the interesting stuff happened a long time ago and the story just sort-of ends.

Last edited:
It looked like a commercial, I like the characters a lot, the humor was painful and the lore was bungled beyond belief to the point i would be overjoyed if it was removed from canon. For all non gamers the show is absolutly not a good translation of the series

Back
Top Bottom