• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Fake Widescreen

Obviously completely irrelevant to the thread, but I'm feeling frisky, so I'll indulge you. What low standard are you referring to?

Avid4D said:
Personally I am getting more impatient as time goes on watching old 4:3 shows on my 16:9 so I disagree.
Please explain why you went back today and removed most of this post.

Avid4D said:
Yeah so back after some time away from fanedit.org and see some people must be really bored! I'd expect a higher standard from someone who is supposed to be senior in the community, but I guess you just have to accept some people for who they are...
http://digital-fanedits.com/forum/t...-tv-s-frink-can-t-afford-15-99-to-finish-edit

1) What the hell are you talking about?
2) What do you mean by, "some people must be really bored!"?
3) What senior member are you referring to?

To get back on topic:

I hate this trend with a glowing passion. I've been hoping for a release of The Wire on bluray for years, and now that it finally happens, it's in bloody 16:9. Someone is spending (even with David Simon's reluctant participation) weeks and weeks of work hours to reframe the carefully crafted 4:3 compositions (it's filmed in 1.85:1, but the cinematographer made sure there was nothing of interest at the edges of the frame). Now the mostly empty edges are back, with other scenes zoomed and cropped to avoid visible backdrops and studio elements, with cropped heads and legs as the inevitable result. Releasing the original negative in the intended AR would have taken a few days of preparation and scanning, and that would have been it. So unnecessary.

Oh, well. At least Twin Peaks was released in the OAR.

I've not seen any of the TNG Blu-rays but I did watch the side-by-side 1080p video on StarTrek.com when Season 1 was released and it looked amazing.

asterixsmeagol said:
I've not seen any of the TNG Blu-rays but I did watch the side-by-side 1080p video on StarTrek.com when Season 1 was released and it looked amazing.

I once did that years ago with a VHS and DVD of I think Mask of Zorro, it made for interesting viewing of where the pan and scan had cropped in comparison to the full 2.4:1 DVD image!

Avid4D said:
Ummm... personally I am getting more impatient as time goes on watching old 4:3 shows on my 16:9 so I disagree. The black bars just plain annoy me, so I prefer chopping to convert and have done so on a few projects for my own use/personal library.

Some REALLY important points though, you just can't chop off the top and bottom and render a new version. In my projects nearly every scene has custom "conversion" to ensure the focus of the scene is not lost. Sometimes an individual scene might start toward the top and gradually move toward the bottom, or vice versa, otherwise I'm frustrated in exactly the same way you mention.

Secondly, I will only "convert" 1080p because I'm left with a perfectly acceptable 720p in 16:9 or if I'm really keen for as much quality as possible I'll get a resolution of 1440x800.

Right. Original Post restored. [MENTION=25703]Avid4D[/MENTION], I see your avatar is gone as well. Given that and your sudden professed love for DFE, I take it you won't be coming back. But if you do, be warned that post deletion is not appreciated without good reason given.

Thanks Frink no problem. As you can see I was detailing how I will only convert when adequate quality can be maintained. DVD 4:3 to 16:9 looks terrible and I never accept it.

Now you should also restore your original post on Dec 17 as you used an acronym of profanity, something in your own Guide to Sensible Posting says should not be used. Personally I didn't care and hence never said anything, but bring it up now as you persist to personally attack me because I merely stated I no longer like to watch 4:3 on 16:9 screens. This obviously seems to bitterly offend you - I'm sorry for that but I guess we will have to agree to disagree - or is this forum not meant for open discussion on ideas and opinions???

PS. Thanks for deleting my avatar (which I restored) and disabling my ability to submit new fanedits. Much appreciated.

4007499-tumblr_llesm1blzv1qj0zk3o1__zps75cf8f09.gif

Avid4D said:
PS. Thanks for deleting my avatar (which I restored) and disabling my ability to submit new fanedits. Much appreciated.

I did neither of these things.

As for the rest of your post, it's so detached from reality, I'm not even going to bother to respond. I suggest you stick to the topic from this point forward.

Back
Top Bottom