• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Eyes Wide Shut: The Eyepainter Fanedit

Eyepainter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
178645535-58103db9-e9a6-441b-b701-d633e648262e.jpg

While I'm working on completing and finalizing my Star Wars Episode I fanedit, I figured I'll also broaden my horizons and throw in a project that has almost nothing to do with Star Wars! I decided to work on editing the last film in Stanley Kubrick's filmography: Eyes Wide Shut. My favorite Stanley Kubrick film and, according to IMDb, no one else's favorite.

I get that editing any Stanley Kubrick film is kind of like touching a sacred cow, but if there's one movie in the acclaimed director's career that could use a bit of fine-tuning, it's this one.

My approach to Eyes Wide Shut​

I think a lot of the reasons why people tend to look down on Eyes Wide Shut is because of its vague structuring. With many of Kubrick’s other films, the structuring is so clear, it’s ridiculous. Dr. Strangelove has a clear three-act structure. So does 2001. Ditto for A Clockwork Orange. Same with The Shining. Full Metal Jacket? Okay, that one’s unusually structured, but yeah, I can still make out what Kubrick was going for. Eyes Wide Shut? Ummmm… That’s tough. I’m not even sure what counts as the film’s beginning, middle, or even end. Was Alice telling Bill about the sailor the official foray into the 2nd act? Or was it when Bill meets Nick Nightingale at the Sonata Cafe? Likewise, it’s hard to figure out what the climax of the film is. Was it the infamous Somerton scene? Or was it when Ziegler talks to Bill about the conspiracy? Or maybe it was when Bill finally told his wife the truth? It’s hard to make out what the structure is, and I think I know why. I have read Walter Murch’s In The Blink of an Eye, 2nd Edition, and I’m currently reading Edward Dmytryk’s On Film Editing, and both books have this particular editing rule: When a movie is too long, the best place to start is to cut out the subplots. Considering the film’s 159-minute running time, I think that rule is worth applying here.

There are two subplots in particular that I think are responsible for mucking up the structure. The first one that comes to mind is the Domino subplot. The second, and more heartbreaking one, is the Marion subplot. Currently, I have cut out both subplots, and I think the movie is much stronger (and shorter) without them.

I also want to be as respectful to Kubrick as much as possible. This means I’ve had to pay extra caution by comparison to my other fan edits. I’ve even had to make some of my editing choices by individual frames! I have to assume that every cut must appear seamless (or at least, as close to seamless as possible). To do otherwise would be disrespectful to Kubrick).

However, I also want to honor the direction that Stanley was going for at the time he made this film. Some of you may or may not know this, but Kubrick was very close friends with Steven Spielberg in his later years, and he wanted to make more Spielberg-ian films at around this point in his life. A.I. Artificial Intelligence, was his next project, and it was going to be his personal attempt at Spielberg. But that never happened because he died during post-production on this film (Still, it says a lot about their friendship that Spielberg took the director’s chair for A.I. following Kubrick’s death). I have a theory that Eyes Wide Shut was supposed to be a bridge between the dark, cerebral tone of Kubrick and the fantasized, sentimental tone of Spielberg. That is my theory, but one that makes sense enough given the behind the scenes material, documentaries, featurettes, and interviews I’ve seen regarding this movie. So, I will be making certain editing choices with this Kubrick-Spielberg compromise in mind as well.

Changes list​

Currently, my edit is sitting at a nice running time of 124 minutes. I must state that this is all subject to change for the time being (until the edit is released and, hopefully, approved).

For those who need clarity:

- = deleted
/ = changed
+ = added.

-Helen’s babysitter, Roz
-Bill's talk with Nick Nightingale at Ziegler’s
-Most of Bill’s phone conversation (Since the Nathanson subplot no longer exists)
-Three of the four visions of Alice mating with the naval officer (Once is enough)
-The fratboys
-The Marion subplot
-The Domino subplot
+The uncut and uncensored Somerton scene 😁
-The coffee table scene
-Bill deciding to leave his job early
-Bill’s second visit to Somerton (and 2nd warning)
-Bill calling Marion’s family
-Spinning hospital entrance shot
/Moved Bill’s return home to before the big “talk” with Ziegler
-First shot of the mask in the climax (For surprise’s sake)

The not-so-interesting stuff

For this version of Eyes Wide Shut, I am using my cranky old 2007 US Blu-Ray as my official source, mainly because it's the only release in the States. The video quality is, well, not the most state-of-the-art. So in addition, I will be doing my own color grading in DaVinci Resolve to give it a more cinematic appearance. Currently, none of my edits have been approved by the academy as of this thread (mainly because I've never submitted anything to the academy before), so I'm not allowed to showcase any stills of my color grading work on this forum for now. However, I will be posting screencaps of my color grading over at originaltrilogy.com, so if you're fine putting in a little more effort into your web-surfing, or giving out your own thoughts in case I'm making a mistake or two, you can check on my thread over in the "Fan Edits and Projects for Other Properties" category on OT.com if you're feeling up for it.

I also decided to crop the image from 1.78:1 to 1.85:1, as it seems to me given the research I've done that 1.85 is the most likely format Kubrick intended. My reasoning is very long and detailed, and it requires me to throw in links to a few online sources (which I can't do for reasons already said in the last paragraph). My thread on originaltrilogy.com will feature my explanation for the aspect ratio. I have also been given a PAL-sourced version of the 1.33 format by a user named Stretch009. I have no plans to make that my official version, and I will most likely put more of the love and attention on the 1.85 version, but I am considering playing around with this source as a just-in-case.

I also have plans to do a commentary track (even though I'd rather be editing than commentating), since I have a lot to say about this film, both on my editing decisions and on the film itself.

- = deleted
/ = changed
+ = added.
I like the key and method there
Currently, none of my edits have been approved by the academy as of this thread (mainly because I've never submitted anything to the academy before), so I'm not allowed to showcase any stills of my color grading work on this forum for now.
#staff
You've been a member for just under a month. New members have some posting restrictions. If you want to post something and aren't able to, just reach by out to staff and we'll help.

I like the key and method there

#staff
You've been a memebe for just under a month. New members have some posting restrictions. If you want to post something and aren't able to, just reach by out to staff and we'll help.

Thanks, DigMod! I'll be sure to ask when I get back to work on the color grading!

Subjectively Eyes Wide Shut is a film that is almost perfect and doesn't need an edit . It has a certain atmosphere and uneasiness that only enhances on subsequent viewings and as i get old and therefore more responsible, i find new contemplations in the movie. As for the protagonist, what I once viewed as his search for titillation 20 years ago has morphed into his desperation to hold onto the life he has built but at the same time battle against his own self destructive attitude and search for kicks...relationships are a complicated business. I love your idea of removing the first shot of the mask.

For me EWS stands alone and shouldn't be messed with but you seem like you really have put a lot of research and thought into the project and i admire that. i am always interested in new ways of watching my favourite movies and am open to a change of perspective. ..so i am subscribed....and where is the 4K release i heard about a couple of years back. I am still waiting :)

Last edited:
Subjectively Eyes Wide Shut is a film that is almost perfect and doesn't need an edit . It has a certain atmosphere and uneasiness that only enhances on subsequent viewings and as i get old and therefore more responsible, i find new contemplations in the movie. As for the protagonist, what I once viewed as his search for titillation 20 years ago has morphed into his desperation to hold onto the life he has built but at the same time battle against his own self destructive attitude and search for kicks...relationships are a complicated business. I love your idea of removing the first shot of the mask.

For me EWS stands alone and shouldn't be messed with but you seem like you really have put a lot of research and thought into the project and i admire that. i am always interested in new ways of watching my favourite movies and am open to a change of perspective. ..so i am subscribed....and where is the 4K release i heard about a couple of years back. I am still waiting :)

The 4k release is hiding in the Somerton mansion somewhere, where a man in a red cloak guards it profusely...

This film has never gotten a lot of kindness from the Brothers Warner. The 2007 blu-ray I'm using as my source is quite literally the only HD source available where I live (unless you want to get a streaming file, but I don't consider that as owning the source), and not once has there been an updated blu-ray since! I would so love it if the Criterion Collection got a hold on Kubrick's Warner Bros. films! That would be glorious, and it would mean we'd get an excellent quality blu-ray out of this film too!

As for Bill, I never really saw a man who was searching for titillation as much as I saw a man who is frustrated with his wife when she comes clean to him about her own past. I understand how that point was misinterpreted by some people (and it's an issue that my edit will, hopefully, fix), but from a thematic standpoint, I've always seen EWS as more a psychological battlefield between truth and lie, between dream and reality. This is especially true at the beginning of the film when Bill talks to the models over whether he wants to go "where the rainbow ends."

I hope my edit meets your expectations and brings an interpretation worthy of the Kubrick name! :giggle:

I'd just like to chime in hear and say that this is also my favorite Kubrick film. It's the one I find myself returning to the most often. I'm wary of Kubrick fanedits, but your concept and changes have me VERY intrigued indeed.

Just did some work on the color grading! I'm waiting for permission from the staff to upload stills at the moment, but you can visit my thread on originaltrilogy.com for the time being!

Just did some work on the color grading! I'm waiting for permission from the staff to upload stills at the moment, but you can visit my thread on originaltrilogy.com for the time being!
Permission is not something that is granted by an admin. It's based on how long you've been a part/engaged in the community. While you wait for the built in requirement, we can help post images for you.

Permission is not something that is granted by an admin. It's based on how long you've been a part/engaged in the community. While you wait for the built in requirement, we can help post images for you.

Ahh, gotcha! I'll see if I can get it right! And if all else fails, I have patience!

Here are a few stills showing comparisons as well as my progress on the color grading so far.

I'll start with my source. The 2007 US Blu-ray. Here's a shot of the Ziegler mansion.
171103630-5ce58c63-0aaf-4932-bf4b-0e409e8b569d.jpg

While it isn't bad, it isn't great either. It's just kinda... Ehh. Like a lot of the color grading I do, I try to mimic the looks of 35mm film, and this one was no exception, for better or for worse.

One idea I've tried is a nearly photochemical film development approach. For reference, I use DaVinci Resolve. I would start by inverting the colors resulting in a color negative appearance. I would add three nodes and I would tint the first one yellow, the second cyan, and the third magenta. I would then create a parallel mixer node, add an input for the third node, and combine these yellow, cyan, and magenta nodes together. Finally, I add one more node, where I invert the colors yet again resulting in what is almost the final grade. I make a few more adjustments to ensure that everything looks good, and it's done! My hope was that by imitating the processes and tricks used in film development that we would get a very nice looking 35mm appearance, but I think this YCM grade is a little on the green side.
171103635-ed11f00a-2225-4b27-9d09-7c0e9d0c1acb.jpg

It is what it is, but I think this one is bound to cause a love-it-or-hate-it vibe. So my next idea is to do what I've always done. I got a lot of influence from a Swedish colorist named Stefan Ringelschwandtner. He has his own YouTube channel, and he has a website called mononodes.com, which I highly recommend. His approach is one of simplicity, and he does a process that only requires four nodes. I, on the other hand, use five. For node 1 I adjust the printer lights. Node 2 is an S-Curve for contrast. Node 3 is color saturation. Node 4 is the color curves. And node 5 is midtone detail. Node 4 is where most of the dirty work is done for me. I give the black levels a slightly teal blue tint, and I give the white levels an orange tint resulting in a slightly faded red look. I also adjust the dynamic range accordingly to match that of most 35mm film trailers I've come across. The result is this, and it's my current grade so far.
171103639-2d906c65-b227-43d1-9a50-70de1ff7a19e.jpg

Here are a few more examples showing the differences between the three grades.

2007 blu-ray
171103695-c17dbb5f-f8c6-4855-85f9-c4ab97c1aa84.jpg

YCM grade
171103698-f8e4fe3e-7d3e-4a5d-8f4f-f6ac65d77e30.jpg

Current grade
171103704-776f0b46-8ee5-4cb6-82b7-9ca32259a368.jpg

2007 blu-ray
171103768-a8413328-006e-4571-908d-9fa70d8dcfa0.jpg

YCM grade
171103772-2f5a357c-d6fd-4484-85e5-aaa4f870c71d.jpg

Current grade
171103776-1e0b903e-c8be-4712-868f-bbe42198a472.jpg

So, that's my progress so far. Let me know what you think!

The color re-grade examples seem to showcase rather than fix the deficiencies of the blu-ray release. The overly dark areas areas don't have enough bitrate in them to pull out much useful detail whatsoever, at least in the still shots, making the dark areas look worse. I wonder if running it through Topaz first would bring out any more detail while cleaning up the noise?

The re-graded samples also look a bit washed out to my eye as if this were an old, damaged strip of film. I do like the effect but for an Eyes Wide Shut Grindhoused edition, where it would work.

I'd suggest doing any color-grade in an adjustment layer only so you can easily undo it later on if desired.

The color re-grade examples seem to showcase rather than fix the deficiencies of the blu-ray release. The overly dark areas areas don't have enough bitrate in them to pull out much useful detail whatsoever, at least in the still shots, making the dark areas look worse. I wonder if running it through Topaz first would bring out any more detail while cleaning up the noise?

I wonder, too. My computer doesn't have the disk space for Topaz, nor do I have the money for it, so that isn't something I can pull off. I suppose if someone with Topaz would love to give it a shot, I can see if I have enough cloud storage to send the file online.

The re-graded samples also look a bit washed out to my eye as if this were an old, damaged strip of film. I do like the effect but for an Eyes Wide Shut Grindhoused edition, where it would work.

I'd suggest doing any color-grade in an adjustment layer only so you can easily undo it later on if desired.

Interestingly enough, my color grading is done through Powergrades, which means I have them saved in stills and I can add or remove them to the timeline and/or clip as is necessary. Still, I've never done an adjustment layer grade before. I'll give it a try and see what happens!

I wonder, too. My computer doesn't have the disk space for Topaz, nor do I have the money for it, so that isn't something I can pull off. I suppose if someone with Topaz would love to give it a shot, I can see if I have enough cloud storage to send the file online.
I have Topaz and I also own the Blu-Ray so if you want we can try.

I'd try to maybe add some fake grain after topaz.

YCM looks like a movie set in the matrix. I'd say Blu-ray looks the best out of the three.

I'd try to maybe add some fake grain after topaz.

Since I only have the free version of DaVinci Resolve, and I can't afford to spend $295, I'm gonna look around for a film grain overlay. Any recommendations?

Just got a sample of Fran's upscale! While I waited, I decided to take krausfadr's advice, and experiment with adjustment layers. I also used this opportunity to play around with some of the Resolve FX features. Since I only have the free version, I couldn't use a lot of the fancy stuff (Film Grain, for example), but I was able to make adjustments using the free features. The five I've found myself using a lot so far are Gamut Mapping, Light Rays, Custom Mixer, Deband, and Prism Blur. I also decided to look online and download a bunch of 35mm film overlays on Gieferg's suggestion for when I got the upscale file.

Keep in mind that the sample I've received is from the Somerton mansion sequence, so I can't show skin tones without getting banned, but I was able to make a quick 5-minute grade for this shot:

171924891-065ff854-62e2-4ea9-af49-eb31f0027a41.jpg

Looks really good.

Since I only have the free version, I couldn't use a lot of the fancy stuff (Film Grain, for example),

I've just got rid of Resolve because of that. Since I am working on Vegas for 7 years now, it was pointless anyway.

Back
Top Bottom