• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Editing in Lagarith, exporting as a DVD

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just curious, as this is the first time I've cut using Lagarith in Vegas 10, but what does everyone think is the best way to end up with a DVD file (Mpeg2, M2V, etc.)? I know I can just export it to Mpeg2 using Vegas, and it looks fine to me, but I want to get the best quality possible out of it, as I really don't want any tech red flags on my latest edit. If anyone has an answer I'd appreciate it!

I might be doing something wrong (in fact, it's likely!) but when I export to Mpeg2 it looks significantly worse than exporting to AVI. You can see on my youtube clips, most are AVI but the few that are Mpeg2 don't look very good.

I think boon suggested exporting to Lagarith AVI, and then presumably you could convert to a DVD file format from there?

yes, its best to export to lagarith (if no effects were applied, and the settings are correct, Vegas can smart render the lagarith). Then use an external encoder to convert to DVD (the built in encoder isn't that great).

Well, there's effects as every frame has been color corrected. Does that change things? Is there a decent cheap/free external encoder that is recommended?

either way, exporting to lagarith is best. I haven't tried it yet, but this application looks very promising: http://members.home.nl/thefilmmachine/

it allows you to use various rending engines to encode (CCE, etc). I think it comes bundled with HC Encoder, which is a very nice free encoder.

Great. Thank you for your help!

I used the Filmmachine to make my DVD files, and wow! What a great little program. If you don't like working with all these scripts and things, definitely get this. It sets it all up for you in a wizard-type set up. Then just hit go, and a couple hours later all your files are done exactly the way you want them. I would definitely recommend this to everyone!

Thanks Spence! I can't wait to try this in a few years when I'm ready for it. ;)

Haha, I promise you'll love it. I had similar problems to yours when I started using Vegas, so anything that will ease the process is very welcome.

thanks for the review spence. I'll definitely be looking into it next time I need to put a DVD together (come on spare time, woo!)

Thanks for letting me know about it! It's a great program! I might make thread here about it for people to find actually...

Please do. A lot of people find this step to be difficult, and a guide for a free (and high quality) application would be a real benefit for folks. :)

Back
Top Bottom