• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Dvd video file to m2v

maxgremlin

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi. I've been following the guides here and I used PcgDemux to convert the video to m2v and separate the audio.
My question is how do I convert the video without separating the audio? I want to convert the video and audio together from m2v to avi using VirtualDub for high quality. I can cut and paste the audio file back together but its tedious and time consuming. Is there another way I can convert the dvd video to m2v?

Thanks

Hey max, are you converting it to avi for editing? If so, what editing software will you be using?

Gatos said:
Hey max, are you converting it to avi for editing?

As opposed to converting it for the hell of it?

maxgremlin said:
Hi. I've been following the guides here and I used PcgDemux to convert the video to m2v and separate the audio.
My question is how do I convert the video without separating the audio? I want to convert the video and audio together from m2v to avi using VirtualDub for high quality. I can cut and paste the audio file back together but its tedious and time consuming. Is there another way I can convert the dvd video to m2v?

Thanks

also just for clarification, the m2v is purely the video stream. Since you've already used PGCDemux to get the m2v and the audio stream (which is probably AC3 or LPM) you could mux together the two streams into an MPEG file using something like "ImagoMPEGMuxer" (its a free program, just google it).

But before you try that like i said in my previous post, if we know what editing software you're going to be using it will help people on here give a better more specific response to your question

maxgremlin said:

Thanks

From http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/file_extension.cfm/m2v

[h=1].m2v[/h] .m2v is an MPEG-2 video file that contains only the video and no audio or subtitle data whatsoever. Typically accompanied by a separate audio file.

.m2v files are extremely common when using DVD authoring tools as they typically require audio and video to be stored in separate files (demuxing), a process that can be achieved with variety of video editors, such as TMPGEnc.

Wow! Lot of responses in so little time!

Okay I read all the responses. The editing software I'm using is Roxio Videowave. I suppose what I'm really asking is how do I end up with a lagarith avi file with both audio and video intact for editing. I don't wan't to fumble and sync up the audio when I don't have to.

maxgremlin said:
I don't wan't to fumble and sync up the audio when I don't have to.

There's no fumbling or synchronizing involved with separate streams: you just load them into your NLE, put them on your timeline and push them both as far to the left as possible; but, if you want a lagarith AVI with both video and audio, you can use Virtualdub to add the audio.

Audio-->Audio from other file...

Captain Khajiit said:
There's no fumbling or synchronizing involved with separate streams: you just load them into your NLE, put them on your timeline and push them both as far to the left as possible; but, if you want a lagarith AVI with both video and audio, you can use Virtualdub to add the audio.

Audio-->Audio from other file...

Apparently Virtual Dub can't read ac3, but I was able to rip the soundtrack using DVD extract so I did what you said and now I'm good. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom