• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Dune 2 (2024)

By now, I should have mentioned that I mostly liked the movie. I enjoyed the set design, the costumes, the colors, the music, the pacing, most of the actors.
My main gripes were the unidimensional villains and, what I previously mentioned, the fact that I don't understand everything that is going on. It sometimes ok to be left in the dark, but I'm not sure how I feel about it here. Or maybe it's just me who did not understand everything... idk!
But if I'm not the only one, I think the world building could have been better. It's part of why I like to watch those movies.
The rest was fantastic, a good entertainment and nobody complained about sand getting everywhere!
I’ve read the book(s), the first one that these two movies are based on three times. So I definitely understood everything going on, but prior knowledge shouldn’t be a requirement for understanding the movies. That said, I’m sure you’ve heard that even many die hard fans of the original novel didn’t understand what the author was doing in the book. He famously wrote the follow up (Messiah, that would be the third installment of this adaptation) in order to make clear his intentions. Many of the die hard fans hated that book precisely because it took things in a direction that they didn’t want, but that was ironically the original intention of the author. But that doesn’t excuse the film.

to me it was no worse than regular black and white or an animation scene spliced in a live action color movie. My eyes don't see in b&w nor the world as anime, but I accept that a movie chooses to do it for stylistic reasons.

I still don't know how I feel about the weird rotoscoped animations in Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings.
123494030753_1.JPG

That's the beauty of artistic vision! It's there to make us feel things and we dont feel the same so we talk about it!
I have never seen Bakshi's but I have to admit that still image looks weird. It comes from another era, it uses different technique. It's probably worth analysing though.

I have never seen Bakshi's but I have to admit that still image looks weird.

To be fair, that's a half finished frame, or 1 element of the finished composite, the hand drawn matte, without the live action horse plate. It should look like this:

l-intro-1644242156.jpg

They scared the hell out of me as a kid and look very Metal!

Back
Top Bottom