• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

DTS-HD MA Workflow?

Geminigod: Off the top of my head, I know that the Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy and No Country For Old Men are a few LPCM Blu-rays in my collection. The LPCM 5.1 track would be a separate selectable track due to HDMI being required for 5.1 playback.

geminigod said:
If you want something higher quality than ac3, I would be happy to show you my free workflow I put together for DTS encoding. :-D

Lol. :)

I'd love to use DTS. Only problem being, I use DVD Architect...

Captain Khajiit said:
I have never heard this about Sonic. What is the source of this information? The only limitation listed for Sonic by madshi in the first post in his doom9 thread is that it cannot output 7.1 and decodes DTS-HD MA 7.1 as 5.1. Madshi is very thorough, so I would expect there to be information about this at the start of the doom9 thread -- unless, of course, I have overlooked it, which is always possible.

While Arcsoft is no doubt preferable if you have a 7.1 track and wish to keep all the channels, outputting 5.1 is not the same thing as using only the core and discarding the rest. Are you sure that you are not thinking of Nero or libav/ffmpeg? You might be right, but I need a source for the information. :)

Here's my source.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/701752

Now it is an old thread, so the info could be out of date. (or just plain incorrect):oops:

AEmovieguy said:
I'd love to use DTS. Only problem being, I use DVD Architect...

Not a problem. So do I. Just requires an extra work-around step.

AEmovieguy said:
Geminigod: Off the top of my head, I know that the Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy and No Country For Old Men are a few LPCM Blu-rays in my collection. The LPCM 5.1 track would be a separate selectable track due to HDMI being required for 5.1 playback.
Since I own No Country for Old Men I decided to experiment a bit. You are right! In place of a Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master track it only has a PCM 5.1, 48 kHz track and an ac3 5.1 track. How bout that. It would appear they were able to barely sneak a 5.1 wav file in under the 4GB limit.

Playing this audio track on my system using S/PDIF output via optical digital cable reveals that it is unfortunately downmixing to 2 channels before outputting and then my receiver is upmixing back to 5.1. Looks like you are correct that the only transmission method that will play it back properly is HDMI. That is most unfortunate and a huge drawback to going this route!

(Why any studio would choose to release in this format instead of Dolby True HD or DTS HD master is beyond me. Probably they were just being cheap!)

Sorry I hadn't listed my source.

The wikipedia page you referenced, http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Eac3to/In_Depth_Technical_Explanation#DTS-HD_tracks, is actually where I found the Known Problems section at the bottom, stating that the core files are incorrectly ripped to 5.1 tracks rather than 6.1 tracks.

The official DTS website states that DTS-HD can have a core of up to 6.1: http://www.dts.com/~/media/45C1661C1CEF4DF7B2098DC7A3DE4D3A/DTS_Codec_Overview_PDF.pdf

Every 6.1/7.1 DTS-HD Bluray I've output to my DTS-ES receiver has registered as sending a DTS-ES 6.1 signal over optical. I don't really have any proof for this being typical, other than multiple occurrences.

nightstalkerpoet said:
Every 6.1/7.1 DTS-HD Bluray I've output to my DTS-ES receiver has registered as sending a DTS-ES 6.1 signal over optical. I don't really have any proof for this being typical, other than multiple occurrences.

Nightstalkerpoet, DTS & Dolby in all its varied incarnations will work fine over optical. The last couple posts are specifically discussing PCM multi-channel. It is a different beast.

I know, I was late on the response (the thread grew rather fast). Did want to throw it out there though.

The PCM tracks are used simply to avoid any issues that may arise from decoding/encoding DTS-HD or TrueHD, since they are an exact digital representation of the master track, and are simply passed through to the receiver to output.

geminigod said:
Not a problem. So do I. Just requires an extra work-around step.

Then I'm very interested. :)

Will you be adding this step to your post in the File Conversion Forums for other users?

nightstalkerpoet said:
The PCM tracks are used simply to avoid any issues that may arise from decoding/encoding DTS-HD or TrueHD

Yes. LPCM tracks on Blu-rays are not at all rare. Often they come with a lossy Dolby Digital track to solve the SPDIF problem.

geminigod said:
(Why any studio would choose to release in this format instead of Dolby True HD or DTS HD master is beyond me. Probably they were just being cheap!)

Believe it or not, some people claim to have a preference! The release that takes the cake is the Hong Kong version of Red Cliff, which has Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA and LPCM Mandarin tracks -- all 7.1 and all identical, as far as I am aware. Talk about a waste of space!

AEmovieguy said:
Thanks for the feedback, Captain.... Somehow....... I've always known. Another week replacing the Dolby track! :)

If you have already started, I would not bother redoing everything just to use the DTS as a source: just use the DTS next time.

@Booshman

Thank you for the link, but I cannot see where Sonic is mentioned. Perhaps I am overlooking it. :)

emanswfan got more than he bargained for on this thread!

AEmovieguy, at some point I will try to provide a DTS encoding guide, but in the meantime, just PM me when you are ready to start encoding your final audio and I will walk you through my workflow.

Geminigod, I might take Captain Khajiit's advice and stick with the Dolby Digital Track for Captain America. I've already been through the process of replacing whole entire edited audio tracks for both parts of Deathly Hallows (had used a Lossless track with bad sync for Part 1; and Dolby track for the rough cut of Part 2), and it's a very time-consuming process. I'll definitely be editing with HD Audio from the start from now on.

I'll be sending you a PM about your DTS workaround come mid-/late April with regards to the latter edit mentioned above, Geminigod.

Thank you both for your feedback.

So i just copied a bluray with ANYDVD HD. How can I convert the lossless audio to individual .wav files?

Use eac3to. Here is how to use it.

Code:
eac3to input.file trackno: output.wavs

Alternatively, try the HD-DVD/Blu-ray Stream Extractor GUI. As mentioned earlier in the thread, you might need to purchase a decoder if your lossless audio is DTS-HD MA.

Okay, I did. I am ready to start to edit, but I will be using deleted scenes. Is there a way to upmix them to 5.1 or should I just downmix the entire movie and edit in stereo?

emanswfan said:
Okay, I did. I am ready to start to edit, but I will be using deleted scenes. Is there a way to upmix them to 5.1 or should I just downmix the entire movie and edit in stereo?

That is probably a better question for a different thread. Look around a bit to see if any relevant threads already exist before starting a new one.

Back
Top Bottom