• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

"Dracula Daily"

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
81Xzwm8m7zL.jpg

I'm re-reading Bram Stoker's Dracula (one of my favourite novels) in the form of "Dracula Daily", which starts today. The title is misleading, as it isn't actually daily. But you sign up and are emailed each diary entry/letter in chronological order on the appropriate date.

It's a bit last minute, but I thought I'd see if anyone wants to join me. you can sign up here: https://draculadaily.substack.com/about

Today's entry is very short and so is the next. Wouldn't take long at all to catch up if you end up being late to the party.

Personally, I'm more of a physical format guy, so I am using the emails as a reference to look up the entry in my paper copy and reading that.

Last edited:
Sounds cool. I've signed up.
I started reading Dracula a couple of years ago, but I got tired after the fifthor so time they give that chick a blood transfusion.
I've been meaning to go back and finish it, and this seems like the perfect excuse.

Never read the book, so this seems like a solid time to start! Thanks for the info! Just signed up! This is a brilliant idea!

^^ great to have you all on board! I don't know if signing up today will have triggered the first entry being sent to you all or not, so here is today's just in case: https://draculadaily.substack.com/p/dracula-may-3-084

A good mood-setter, I think. As a fan, I naturally want to keep reading... but I have no choice but to resist.

^^ ha! Very behind? Or only slightly?

Because it's conforming to the dates in the book, the whole thing spans until November. There will be periods where there'll be <i>lots</i> to read, but equally seasons where there'll be nothing to read at all. So I think there will be opportunities to catch up comfortably, depending on when you fall behind and how much by. The site archive could probably give you a window into what's ahead.

I just finished today's and very much enjoyed it. I would love to have read this when it was first published, before all this vampire lore became commonplace and burned into the public mind. It can be hard to hear the name "Dracula" as Harker hears it - innocent of any evil association or mythos... until today's entry, that is.

If anyone else is falling behind, the next entry is not until the 12th of May, so there's a 4-day break to allow for catching up.

7l39az.jpg

I forgot the chronology kicked in this early... we have (a short) one today from a new character and then the next is on the 11th. Whoops!

The last segment in particular is very creepy. Again, I think even more nightmarish for original readers back in the day, being less familiar with now-established vampire tropes.

I fell behind again, but at an interesting spot! I knew the next entry was supposed to be May 9, but since I'm reading several days' worth I picked up my hardcover, only to find that May 8 is followed by May 12. I didn't realize when I read it years ago that Mina's letters were presented out-of-sync with Harker's. Reading this all chronologically really is a fandedit of the book!

After today's entry, we now have a two week break... sadness. Good opportunity to catch up though if you're falling behind!

I'm a little bit behind again (these last few days have had very long entries!), but I'm confused by the date on one letter.

There is a note from Mitchell, Sons and Candy to Lord Godalming (Athur) dated 1 October, which seems to be in reply to Harker's visit on 2 October. Shouldn't it have been dated the morning of 3 October?

Back
Top Bottom