• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

DOA - Dead Slide Whistle Edition. A film noir fan edit!

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DOA is a CLASSIC film noir! A man is poisoned and he has a limited amount of time to figure out who poisoned him and why. We've seen it done in various other films and TV, but this is the one that started it all!

For those that have seen this wild ride of a film, there is a point in the movie where our protagonist, Frank Bigelow, sees several attractive women in his hotel and in the background we hear a "wolf call" done on a slide whistle. This occurs roughly 4-5 times and IMO is very distracting and just all around stupid. What I have done is carefully removed all instances of the slide whistle/wolf call. This meant tracking down the soundtrack which was out of print, but if it can be found on the internet, I will work hard to find it and I did. I was able to track down the CD which contained the much needed music required to mask the slide whistling.

Since this film is in public domain, I feel like it should be good to share this edit as all I did was hide the slide whistling with music and sound edits.

I've also upscaled it so it looks better than any DVD version you'll find. BONUS is that I'll also share my upscale along with the fan edit!

If you're a fan, well then I think you'll appreciate the absence of the slide whistle. If you haven't seen this movie, well you should because it's a great film from a bygone era of filmmaking.

Once my poster art has been approved by an admin, then I will share it.

I'm currently uploading the edit to my cloud service, but please let me know if you're interested and leave some comments if you've seen this movie!

Special thanks to my good buddy @bionicbob for viewing this and catching the slide whistle I missed!

MODS, please move this to completed edits. Thank you!

Last edited:
full

So I just watched this and was wondering why there was so much wolf-whistling and how much worse the original must be - only to realise that you provided the original upscaled as well as your edit. I just downloaded the largest file without realising it wasn't your edit... lol. So I guess I just saw the theatrical :ROFLMAO: I won't be rewatching, but I will at least download your version to see how you executed that scene. At least I can say that I concur with the choice to remove it.

So I just watched this and was wondering why there was so much wolf-whistling and how much worse the original must be - only to realise that you provided the original upscaled as well as your edit. I just downloaded the largest file without realising it wasn't your edit... lol. So I guess I just saw the theatrical :ROFLMAO: I won't be rewatching, but I will at least download your version to see how you executed that scene. At least I can say that I concur with the choice to remove it.
Tex Avery Vintage Animation GIF

Watched. Loved.

A classic noir made even better by a simple change. Though not simple to execute. Excellent technical work by MusicEd! And the video upscale is beautiful!

Highly recommended for noir fans! 👍

Thank you @bionicbob and @filmflaneur for taking the time to write a review! As it was mentioned by filmflaneur, it's a new lease on life for D.O.A.!

One of the things I love the most about this film is that unlike Bogart or MacMurray or even Widmark, Edmond O'Brien isn't a Hollywood leading man type, so this REALLY feels like an everyday-man getting caught up in something big.

Back
Top Bottom