• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Do fan editors have a problem with Humor.

Batman09090909099a

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So many of the Fan Edits i look at seem to do nothing but remove any humor from movies. Im not talking about some super cheesy movie. Its Like Batman Beings, Begins has maybe 4 jokes max and i don't mind any of them. Sometimes you need some levity to break the tension. I not interested in every movie having its own boring Snyder-cut.

Welcome to fan editing.

Jokes aside, I think it's just a matter of personal preference. Everyone has their own tastes.

I don't usually notice people cutting out all of the humor from films, just the bits that don't work for them personally. Which makes sense, we all have our different senses of what's funny.

We have a strict ban on merriment.

Seriously though, some edits remove humour, some don't. Fanedits typically remove more than they add, because that's normally what we have to work with. But look at SSJ's edits or TVs Frink, for example, and you'll know there are definitely those of us with a sense of humour. I'm British, so I think my humour is so dry it very often doesn't translate.

So many of the Fan Edits i look at seem to do nothing but remove any humor from movies.
I've noticed that some fanedits show a very low tolerance for jokes and levity. While I like jokes, I am no fan of schmarm. For example, my preferred version of Guardians of the Galaxy is the entire movie deleted.

It's all about tone to me. If the humor isn't tonally in sync with a scene, mood or character I don't care for it. TFA and Thor Ragnarok are probably my two edits where I was the most aggressive at removing levity. Another example of what I mean is the latest Thor movie. I don't even know how to approach Thor Love and Thunder as it swings too wildly from heavy/intense topics, themes and imagery to ridiculous humor in a single scene.

There was a video about how to fix the Book of Henry by turning it into a Wes Anderson film. I've toyed around with the idea, but haven't followed through as the content of the movie isn't really something I feel should be paired with humor.

As stated by others, it's a subjective feely thing.

I've done one remove-humor-type edit years ago but now I am more often adding humor to movies than removing it (see "Three Effin' Bears" Rambo edit or "Kombat Bloody Kombat")

The entire hobby was founded on the idea of removing Jar Jar Binks, who is universally regarded as the single greatest comedic creation of all time, so I think the answer has to be yes, fan-editing hates humour

(For real, the ending of Sharksploitation made me laugh harder than almost any comedy in years.)
Hot take, but I honestly never had an issue with Jar Jar. Even as a kid.

I mean there is a fine line between funny jokes and writers trying to be funny. I LOVE almost all the comedy in Sam Raimi's spiderman movies for example, but a lot of the humor in the MCU feels formulaic by comparison.

There was a video about how to fix the Book of Henry by turning it into a Wes Anderson film. I've toyed around with the idea, but haven't followed through as the content of the movie isn't really something I feel should be paired with humor.
I would sure love to see you follow through on this. That would be superdiggity!
As stated by others, it's a subjective feely thing.
That sums it up, right there.

So many of the Fan Edits i look at seem to do nothing but remove any humor from movies. Im not talking about some super cheesy movie. Its Like Batman Beings, Begins has maybe 4 jokes max and i don't mind any of them. Sometimes you need some levity to break the tension. I not interested in every movie having its own boring Snyder-cut.
I am currently doing a Begins edit and feel basically obligated to remove "nice coat" and "that's right you better run," but I'm not so sure about removing ALL the humor, and I've felt the same way as you before about the tendency to basically purge movies of any jokes. I think the nice coat part kinda breaks the intensity of the big reveal of Batman and the better run is just poorly delivered by Holmes and feels very cliche. Maybe the big problem with the Dark Knight trilogy specifically is that the movies are trying to go for an uber serious, almost grimdark tone, and the humor feels almost Marvel-y, especially when they try to lampshade stuff the audience might find ridiculous, like making a joke everytime Batman (or Catwoman) disappears. A lot of the jokes are also just really cheesy like when the Harvey Bullock-stand in (forgot his name) literally says "have a nice trip, see you next fall."

I am currently doing a Begins edit and feel basically obligated to remove "nice coat" and "that's right you better run," but I'm not so sure about removing ALL the humor, and I've felt the same way as you before about the tendency to basically purge movies of any jokes. I think the nice coat part kinda breaks the intensity of the big reveal of Batman and the better run is just poorly delivered by Holmes and feels very cliche. Maybe the big problem with the Dark Knight trilogy specifically is that the movies are trying to go for an uber serious, almost grimdark tone, and the humor feels almost Marvel-y, especially when they try to lampshade stuff the audience might find ridiculous, like making a joke everytime Batman (or Catwoman) disappears. A lot of the jokes are also just really cheesy like when the Harvey Bullock-stand in (forgot his name) literally says "have a nice trip, see you next fall."
Nice coat is an epic line imo and I would never remove it. The humor in Nolan's Batman imo is usually spot on. I was thinking about removing the 'you got anything bigger in that belt?' line in Rises too, but after considering it I think it's actually the right kind of rediculous when Batman suddenly shows up with his helicopter lol.

I'd argue it's these moments that lift the moment up from a movie like the new 'the Batman' movie. The filmmakers sometimes remind you the film is about a guy in a bat suit fighting criminals lol.

Different tastes and all that. Someone removing all the humour is a red flag for me personally. Nearly every film needs some sort of levity, and sometimes fans can take things too seriously. I appreciate a bit of silly, especially in the nerdy things that fan editors are most often drawn to.

It’s only borderline humor at best, but I’d argue for Easter eggs to be removed. I think things like that are too self-indulgent and take me personally out of a movie.

It’s only borderline humor at best, but I’d argue for Easter eggs to be removed. I think things like that are too self-indulgent and take me personally out of a movie.
This I agree with.

I don't find this thread very amusing.

Depends on OPs intention. I think humor is one of the more interesting topics when it comes to a films quality.

My biggest problem with comedy in a lot of films is that it gets old the second time you watch a film. Visual humor nearly always works, but a joke often only works when you dont know the joke is coming or havent heard it yet. It's the nature of a joke.

And when the joke doesnt land when you rewatch a film because you already know it, it can become an annoyance I guess.

Back
Top Bottom