• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Distorting Audio to Sound Like a Fett

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been trying to take audio of a dude talking and make it sound like he's wearing a Fett helmet. I'm not even quite sure what to call the effect, which is probably hindering my google search skillz. I've played around with some effects in audacity but haven't found anything that seems to work so far.

Any advice?

You probably want a little reverb, then a light distortion or a modulator effect, then a light flange or phase effect. Maybe the flange before the distortion, but you're going to want to play around with multiple combinations to get it just right.

You could also do an EQ (Equalizer) that cuts the frequencies above and below the range of the device you're trying to emulate, or in this case (a fictional device) the closest thing to it. Police radio, telephone, AM Radio, etc. The frequencies are easy to find online and once you look at the EQ in Audacity or a similar sound editing program you'll be able to turn some up and some down. Sometimes there is a graphic display for this and you can drag part of the spectrum up or down, sometimes you enter the actual values and don't get a visual representation, but it should work the same as long as it's EQ.

All these effects are available in Audacity and there are a lot more too, it's worth toying around with to get some ideas of what is possible. You can probably blend your sound a lot better than in Ridiculous Menace with some of the time/pitch stretch stuff and some noise reduction for bleeding music.

A Parametric EQ could go a long way also ;)

Rogue-theX said:
A Parametric EQ could go a long way also ;)
I have no idea what this means....

But I used addiesin's advice and looked at the equalizer presets in audacity. Found a "walkie talkie" one that seems to be pretty good. Whatcha think?

Original:

Modified:

I like it. The effect doesn't go too overboard and it achieves what you wanted.

Back
Top Bottom