• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Dick Tracy - Trueheart Edition

Edit submitted to the Academy. Thread moved to pending.

I don't think I've seen this movie since the original cinema release.

TM2YC said:
Edit submitted to the Academy. Thread moved to pending.
Awesome. Thank you. Also, I've just now put together that I've seen several of your edits. I like your work!

TM2YC said:
I don't think I've seen this movie since the original cinema release.
It's understandable why. The things just dragged. But damn if Pacino was fun to watch.

added TRUEHEART EDITION to the cover
dick%2Btrracy-%2Bversion%2B2.jpg

I've watched the first 10-minutes and all the edits are spot on and video encode is very nice  but there is a problem with the overall audio. It's too loud which is clipping some of the loudest moments such as gun shots. The warehouse scene is full of gunfire and full of crackling glitches. For every shot there is audio distortion/static which is really hard to listen to.

I took a screenshot after I dropped the file into Vegas:

46992970514_79c87f62dd_c.jpg

^ On the left is the warehouse shootout and on the right is the same zoomed in. As you can see, the peaks and troughs are so loud they are being lost.

I don't think it's that far off, as only the loudest moments are causing a problem. Dropping the volume just 10% might cure it? Hopefully the problem originates with the final render and not with your source file.

Oddly enough I've encountered similar problems with a couple of other edits recently, so check out the discussion in those threads if you wish:

https://forums.fanedit.org/showthread.php?tid=17763&pid=322941#pid322941

https://forums.fanedit.org/showthread.php?tid=17742&pid=330477#pid330477

Thank you. I'll take a look. I seem to recall that it was like this after I ripped the disc. But I'll see what I can find out in the next few days and let you know.

Soooo... Premiere is being a right bastard and I'm going to have to rebuild the audio. Not sure how long it'll take. But, I'm actively working on it!

The audio clipping issue is now 100% fixed and I watched the whole edit. It's a nice streamlined edit, the 1080p encode looks great and the cuts are mostly very smooth.

Unfortunately some problems need fixing:

00.00.00 - The fanediting disclaimer is very loud and distorted in the left speaker for some reason.
00.57.43 - There is a loose frame here from where a scene was cut.
01.11.55 - Is the car horn sound to supposed to cut off dead like that?

Is the sound slightly out of sync with the video now, it's hard to tell?

Given my luck... None of that surprises me.

I'll take another spin through it and let you know when I've got another version.

TM2YC said:
The audio clipping issue is now 100% fixed and I watched the whole edit. It's a nice streamlined edit, the 1080p encode looks great and the cuts are mostly very smooth.

Unfortunately some problems need fixing:

00.00.00 - The fanediting disclaimer is very loud and distorted in the left speaker for some reason.
00.57.43 - There is a loose frame here from where a scene was cut.
01.11.55 - Is the car horn sound to supposed to cut off dead like that?

Is the sound slightly out of sync with the video now, it's hard to tell?

New disclaimer added
I found a few loose frames and fixed them. Though, strangely, not this one. I mean, it was visible in the export but not the premiere project. Go figure.
Yeah. That horn cutting off abouta me, but it's in the original cut and I can't be fussed about fixing it.
I think it was out of sync. Should be fixed now.

I'm exporting tonight, taking a quick look in the morning, then reuploading. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

revstevens said:
Yeah. That horn cutting off abouta me, but it's in the original cut and I can't be fussed about fixing it.

It sounds so off but if it's in the original film then fair enough. Doesn't mean you can't try and improve it. I had a browse on freesound.org. This horn sound is a reasonable match:

https://freesound.org/people/DSA98/sounds/393179/

You could mix a little of that underneath so we hear something on the exterior Tracy shot before the car bursts through. Your call.

I've had a quick scan through the new version (love your faneditor animated titlecard by the way!) and I think it's even further out of sync now. Have a look at the diner scene at the end. Their lips are mouthing different words.

Check if your source file looks/sounds in sync by playing it in something like VLC-media player. If you 100% it's okay then drop it into a new track on your timeline and then use that as a comparison. Line up the new source with your existing video edits and check if the two audio tracks match. I've had to do that before myself on a project that go got un-synched somehow.

TM2YC said:
It sounds so off but if it's in the original film then fair enough. Doesn't mean you can't try and improve it. I had a browse on freesound.org. This horn sound is a reasonable match:

https://freesound.org/people/DSA98/sounds/393179/

You could mix a little of that underneath so we hear something on the exterior Tracy shot before the car bursts through. Your call.

Downloading that now and will see what I can do with it.

TM2YC said:
I've had a quick scan through the new version (love your faneditor animated titlecard by the way!) and I think it's even further out of sync now. Have a look at the diner scene at the end. Their lips are mouthing different words.

Check if your source file looks/sounds in sync by playing it in something like VLC-media player. If you 100% it's  okay then drop it into a new track on your timeline and then use that as a comparison. Line up the new source with your existing video edits and check if the two audio tracks match. I've had to do that before myself on a project that go got un-synched somehow.

Glad you like the title card. I had fun with that.

I just checked the diner, without headphones on, and it looks in sync that way. Having said that. I think I'm too close to it to really be able to tell at the moment. I'm gonna take this week to not look at it and try to come back to it with fresh eyes next weekend.

Thank you, so much, for taking all this time with it. With any luck, next time will be the last time!

Ok. I've been through the whole thing, with wired headphones, in VLC and it looks in sync, to me. 

Having said that, I did run across two other issues that I'm going to fix this evening. 
1. One shot that I flipped rendered very jerky. I'd like to smooth that out.
2. Found a diner shot that I failed to extend the audio on correctly, so Dick's lips moved but nothing came out.

I'll take a stab at the horn, as well.

Side note,I found another diner shot where Tess's lips move but nothing comes out. Seems that Warren Beatty couldn't be bothered to pay for some ADR for that shot. And I don't think I have enough pieces to build a line for Tess from scratch, so that'll be staying as-is.

Anyway, all of that to say that I'll have a new version uploaded by end of day tomorrow. Monday morning, worst case scenario.

revstevens said:
Side note,I found another diner shot where Tess's lips move but nothing comes out. Seems that Warren Beatty couldn't be bothered to pay for some ADR for that shot. And I don't think I have enough pieces to build a line for Tess from scratch, so that'll be staying as-is.

A downside of getting into fanediting is you become much more sensitive to little editing cheats like this in movies and see them everywhere.

Would anybody be kind enough to help and take a look at this edit? (A second pair of eyes)

I'm seeing/hearing a persistent audio/video sync issue (of as much as a second delay on the audio) when I play the MP4 in VLC media player but @"revstevens" isn't able to detect it at his end. If nothing else, checking this one moment when the sync problem is most obvious to me who be a big help:

An obvious example would be at 00.31.40 when Big Boy slams the palm of his hand down on the table. The sound is probably a whole second behind the video. Again at 00.49.33 when Big Boy slams his fist on the table, the sound is way behind. Those kind of moments are great, as they like a natural clapperboard.

Please contact me or @"revstevens" vis PM if you want to have a look. Thanks all.

*Bump* of above post.

TM2YC said:
Would anybody be kind enough to help and take a look at this edit? (A second pair of eyes)

Another editor kindly had a look at the discussed sync issue with the file and confirmed it wasn't there. I can't explain why it's showing up on my PC in every version of the edit but in no other file I've ever played but let's assume it's just a problem I'm going to encounter. Thanks @"revstevens" for being patient while I checked this out and sorry for the delay.

Edit approved! :)

14514010924_d2f40d31b9_o.jpg

TM2YC said:
Another editor kindly had a look at the discussed sync issue with the file and confirmed it wasn't there. I can't explain why it's showing up on my PC in every version of the edit but in no other file I've ever played but let's assume it's just a problem I'm going to encounter. Thanks @"revstevens" for being patient while I checked this out and sorry for the delay.

Edit approved! :)

14514010924_d2f40d31b9_o.jpg

I told my wife about this. She looked me right in the eye, saw my smile, and called me a nerd. I think it's only fair that I make her watch Dick Tracy again. The version that is approved for listing on the IFDB. Thank you for your help, TM2YC, I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom